“Beautiful expansive grounds with limited views of ocean”

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We are owners of a Marriott time share in Palm Dessert and traded our unit for this Newport Coast location. Just off Pacific coast highway it was a beautiful location and the units, as always are clean and well appointed. The trees out side most of the units seem to have all grown so tall that the views of the ocean were very limited. Other than the tall and thick trees, thee setting, service and comfort of this location were outstanding,

Room Tip: Ask if there are any rooms with an unobstructed ocean view.

Reviewed March 13, 2014

This resort is our top resort so far. It was beautiful grounds with lots to do. They have 5 pools and several hot tubs, pool tables and many other things to do on the resort. The resort also has a shuttle that takes you to several places if you do not want to drive. The rooms were very good, not the best we stayed at but for sure great. We loved this resort and hated leaving. The only thing I would wished for was for the restaurant at the pool to stay open later.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Newport Coast Villas, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thank you for visiting Marriott's Newport Coast Villas! It is great to hear you had a wonderful time on vacation and enjoyed the many resort amenities. We look forward to your next visit to California!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I have just checked in here for a week long stay. Once again, for the third year running, I have no view, despite most of their rooms having a view. This year, I can see bushes and the people walking by my unit can see directly into it. Last year, I have a view of bushes. Why they continue to place me on the first floor when I would prefer a third (top) floor, I have no idea. They must reserve those upper floors with nicer views for people they think are likely to buy into their timeshare club. If you're coming here, definitely request an upper floor and pray that you get it. Another thing that would be nice about an upper floor is you wouldn't have to hear everyone running around above your room. As others have noted, the sound abatement between floors is poor. I won't be back and I'll recommend to my dad -- whose timeshare I'm using -- that he cancel his timeshare.

Room Tip: Tell them you want a top floor room only.
6  Thank SeeTheSights2007
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at Marriott's Newport Coast Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you for visiting Marriott's Newport Coast Villas. We apologize for not being able to provide the room location you requested. Please know, owner reservations do receive preference over preview reservations when assigning rooms. We would welcome the chance to personally respond to your concerns and invite you to contact our Customer Care team at customer.care@vacationclub.com or by calling 800-860-9384. Thank you again for your review and we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We arrived at the tail end of the winter storm and was rainy but forecast for rest of week looked good and it was. Got to the property around 5 so room was ready since check in was at 4. I had requested something in either the 4000 or 5000 buildings as I hoped for a view and didn't need to be too close to main lobby or pool. We received a nice second floor (top floor in our building) and a corner room. Had view of two holes at Pelican Hill and ocean. We were very impressed by the property. Had a Spanish or Italian villa ambience and we liked that is was spread out, although we recognize this might not be ideal for those with mobility issues. Property was very clean, had nice pools, including a more secluded Canyon Pool closer to our villa which we loved. Room was slighly dated but we didn't care as it was spotless, beds were comfortable and bathrooms, etc were spacious. I loved the double shower in the main bedroom portion. We did see that they were renovating other villas so assume they will eventually get to the building we stayed in. Loved the gas fire pits. Even though we don't have children, they had nice activites on site, like putting greens, ping pong tables, and various activity centers. We were there during what I would think is "shoulder season" meaning it was not very busy. Although since our weather was nice, but not hot, pools probably are much busier during warmer weather. But again, they have several pools, so folks can spread out a little. Service at desk was warm and friendly. We did not use concierge service as I research locations considerably before arriving. They had beautiful stainless steel grills which we used one night. Did not go to pool bar or snack bar.
This property is right in Newport Coast and many things are nearby, but not a lot is walkable unless you are long walkers. If you are, you can walk to Crystal Cove Beach and maybe venture as far as shopping, but would recommend only a car or their shuttle service. We have stayed at several Marriott Villa properties and we own in Aruba, but this was one of the classiest properties we have stayed in.

Room Tip: If you don't mind not having an elevator, then building 4200 has a very nice view and is only tw...
1  Thank Quinnly
Reviewed March 9, 2014

My husband and I have traveled all over the US and internationally. I think this has been the most disappointing stay we've experienced at a hotel. I planned a weekend getaway for my husband's 40th birthday. I chose Marriott's Newport Coast Villas, because a couple of us could stay in the same villa and we had friends joining us. I also read some of the reviews and they were mostly positive. When I initially called they assured me our room would be on the 3rd floor with an ocean view and that we could do an early check in. I called a few days before our stay, I was then told that they didn't do early check ins. When we arrived, I was disappointed that we were staying on the 2nd floor not the 3rd floor I had been promised when booking. But, even worse when we arrived for the four o'clock check in our room wasn't ready and we needed to wait over an hour to get into our room. Personally, I think 4 o'clock is a late check in time (considering check out is at 10 AM), but to wait until 5 o'clock is simply unacceptable. The bed in the room was the hardest and most uncomfortable I've ever slept on. The upstairs guests were ridiculously noisy all night. We finally called the front desk around 1 AM....at about 4 AM they finally stopped pounding on the ceiling and shouting, etc. Needless to say, we did not get a good night of sleep. THE WORST PART OF THE STAY - When I went to check out in the morning, the front desk didn't even ask me how my stay was - I've never checked out of a hotel and not been asked how my stay was. Anyway, I decided to share my disappointment and experience with the man at the front desk. THE MAN AT THE FRONT DESK COULD HAVE CARED LESS ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE AT THIS HOTEL. He was rude and didn't even acknowledge my concerns. Even though the grounds were well kept and we enjoyed some of the activities available, I'd never stay at this property again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Traveler T

Thank you for visiting Marriott’s Newport Coast Villas. The experience you described is not typical of our resort and we apologize for not meeting your expectations. We would like to personally respond to you and invite you contact our Customer Care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Usually we Spring Break from Minnesota to Florida and were looking for something different. This is a great resort with plenty of activities if you want them and our suite is plenty to room the family of 5. Basketball, putt putt golf, tennis and a bunch of pools all in excellent condition. The PCH is very close and handy getting to all of the OC beaches. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank BrianKoesters
Reviewed March 9, 2014

My parents own 2 weeks. Contrary to the sales pitch it does NOT get you better service or better rooms. Platinum with Marriott? You get the worst room available at 4pm. Just like everyone else. After 6 years they have never been ready before 4pm despite very genuine phone calls to check on the availability. Today we are moving which translates
To moving out of our room and spending all day waiting for a room to be ready. If "all their rooms are designed to be equal" why is it impossible to get two rooms close enough for a baby monitor to reach between? Service here is lip service. They sell used cars and do not stand behind their brand. When it comes time to deliver they stall, falter, apologize but at the end of the day they do not come through. I was an avid Marriott customer staying 75-100 nights per year for work for 4 years. You won't find me buying a unit here. And if you want to know the brand I choose when I travel it is not Marriott...

• Stayed: March 2014
7  Thank BrewerRFS3

Thank you for visiting Marriott’s Marriott's Newport Coast Villas. We take your feedback seriously and appreciate you bringing your concerns about your room location to our attention. We would like to personally respond to you and invite you contact our Customer Care team at Customer.Care@vacationclub.com or at 800-860-9384. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Beach
#9 of 18 in Newport Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#6 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!