“A perfect family getaway!”

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I scheduled this getaway with multiple things in mind...me relaxing at the pool, getting together with a great friend and getting my guys and their girlfriends for a family get-together as well. The Newport Villas allow you this type of gathering, with the two bedroom villa and resort grounds. I couldn't have been happier--it was the perfect long weekend! I am a timeshare owner there and enjoy my timeshare week but also recommend using the facility if you are not--and prices during off season are amazing, considering the amenities you get! The full kitchen alone saves on eating out and there are multiple areas for outdoor grilling as well... I know the grounds and ask for the best ocean views...if that is important to you familiarize yourself with the building locations and Newport is more than willing to accommodate with you as much as possible...they have been awesome with this!
The place is total Zen for me and I am booked in second week in June and cannot wait!

Room Tip: Familiarize yourself with the grounds if ocean view is important. Otherwise--don't worry, just...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank iluvthecoast
Write a ReviewReviews (1,953)

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Checked in Wednesday 10th for 7 nights. Unit was ready early, even though we were well ahead of normal "check-in" time of 3, I think. A pretty, Spanish-inspired architectural look that is easy on the eyes, the development is large and easy to find your way - once you've had some time to get used to it. If they were trying to sell me a time share, you would think they would have placed us in a higher location with a view of the ocean, especially since we came during the middle of the week and not many customers seem to be around. They didn't, but then I'm not here to buy. Would've still liked a better view than trees and golf course. Unit is very nice and spacious, well equipped, and easy to find. Can't think of a thing negative and probably won't for the next 5 nights. Highly recommended, thus far.

Room Tip: our unit is 1420
1  Thank WildWilliam
Reviewed April 10, 2013

First understand this is a Marriott Vacations property, so they are set up for families with full kitchen and dining room amenities. The suites are well-appointed and luxurious enough for most tastes. The living room and both bedrooms include high quality flat screen televisions, but the real views are from the balcony and master bedroom windows. The ocean and surrounding hillsides make for amazing views of the California coastline and Catalina Island. I actually booked online via a special promotion for Elite Marriott Rewards members. Although this was a business trip, the rate was lower than surrounding Marriott hotels and the amazing location and "at home" kitchen amenities were a welcome change from the standard hotel experience. My favorite amenities were being able to work from my balcony while enjoying amazing views and the in room kitchen where I could cook my own healthier meals. A bonus was the in-room laundry equipment! The property is well maintained and beautiful and the location is amazing. I was able to squeeze in a round of golf across the street at Pelican Hill (see my review of that amazing course) and was minutes away from Laguna Beach (south) and Corona Del Mar (north)...both gorgeous Oceanside communities where restaurants and art galleries abound...oh, and the beaches! Simply gorgeous. The resort provides simple, family friendly food and Starbucks. On the practical side there is a Trader Joe's grocery minutes away to stock your kitchen and wine rack, and plenty of shopping if you forgot your bathing suit. The location is also convenient being close enough to expressways and toll roads and a few minutes from Pacific Coast Hwy. There are plenty of super high-end resorts in the area, but for families or the homesick road warrior, this property offered tremendous a value and excellent amenities. I would definitely bring my family back for vacation or book here again should I have an extended stay in the area. Oh, if you have a large family the rooms offer two full bedrooms and a full and single sofa beds!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean facing room if available...a must.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Wolverine325
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We did a timeshare exchange and stayed for Spring Break 2013. Location is really nice although you need to drive just about anywhere you may want to go because it is secluded from any restaurants and other activities. Crystal Cove beach is walkable and a fun place to visit (eat at the Beachcomber). Two bed villas are very nice, clean and equipped for a week with the family. I was surprised there was no mid week tidy service as in most Marriott Vacation Club Locations but there is a washer/dryer to do your own. Kids had fun doing the easter egg hunt and making tie dye t-shirts.
We had a first floor unit (as requested) and were very near one of the two smaller pools. Our view was pathetic (looked out onto the maintenance road) but not a huge deal. Never had a problem getting a lounge at the pool, water was nice and hot tub was always hot. Overall a very nice week at the MNCV.

Room Tip: Request a room near the upper pool and tennis courts. The views are fantastic.
1  Thank stslc
Reviewed April 9, 2013

This 75 acre complex sits on the hillside of the canyons of Newport Beach. A wonderful Mediterranean inspired resort - it boasts great views of the Pacific and PCH!

Although not right on the beach, you are literally a 10 minute walk down the road to the beach which, when coupled with the views from their many pools - was more than we needed to be relaxed and enjoy the property.

The rooms were spacious - with large patios. Accessibility was creatively designed with hidden garages and access ways for getting to your villa without disturbing the charm and beauty of the location.

Because of the large layout, the property has 2 work out facilities with many pools for accommodating guests. Also, walking the grounds and the surrounding areas are a must - for views no matter where you looked!

We are vacation club members and attended a session to understand more about the latest updates to the program. The team was great and were not pushy or arrogant.

Our final day, the staff was serving brunch outside on the patios - smelling the waffles and taking in the views - awesome!

Room Tip: Ask for High floors - better views and will guard against what some other guests are mentioning arou...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank farkasjr2
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The odd thing about Marriott Newport Coast Villas is that even though the villas have their share of flaws, there is something about the resort's location, grounds, architecture, and the Southern California coastal climate that seems to wipe away all of the negatives and leave a person wanting to come back.

In my past 4 visits to the villas, I have noted the following:

-- There is very little sound-proofing between units. For example, during my last visit we were able to hear footsteps from the unit above, shouting from the unit below, and conversations and the television in the next door unit.
-- I woke up with a stiff back every morning because of the beds.
-- Occasionally parking near one's unit can be difficult -- especially at night when everybody's returned to their villa for the evening.
-- Some of the kitchen cabinets and bathroom countertops have suffered from wear and tear from years of use.

Having said all of that, it might seem surprising that I would still give the property an excellent rating. For me, it's all about enjoying the lushly landscaped grounds and taking in the incredible ocean views from my very own private balcony. Staying at the villas is like having one's very own piece of paradise -- for a little while.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LynnFromTheWest
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed for our spring break week, & this is our 4th week over the past about 6 years. We checked in 3/31/13 for 7 nights. We traded our Marriott week from Grand Chateau Las Vegas for Newport Coast Villas.

The weather was wonderful, not too hot, so we could play tennis. The resort has tennis courts & you can play for free, just bring your own balls & rackets. They also have basketball, etc.

We used the gas BBQ they provide twice during the trip to cook dinner. There are not enough BBQ's as many families like to cook this way & I saw people even doing their lunch on the grill a couple times. We had to walk to an adjacent building one night because our two buildings only had 2 grills that were always busy.

When you stay at a Marriott timeshare resort, keep in mind that this is not a true hotel, and that service takes a back seat. You haul your own luggage, and at the pool, there is no one there to bring you drinks or take a food order. You can go to one of the onsite restaurants though, and the main pool area nearest the lobby has the restaurants nearby. There is a Starbucks in the resort lobby as well in the "marketplace" which is a small store with some food items, etc.

Crystal Cove State Beach is right across the street (Hwy 1) at the West end of the resort. You can walk across the street and you are at the beach, or take the free shuttle van that goes there and to Laguna beach a couple times a day. There is also a bluffs walking trail (paved) along the bluffs of Crystal Cove State Beach, that parallels Hwy. 1.

There is an adjacent shopping center that includes The Gap, Tahoe Joes (food & alcohol), Banana Republic, Pier 1 Imports, and some other smaller & expensive shops. There are some good restaurants there, including a Starbucks with an outdoor patio. For groceries you can head East on Newport Coast Drive & before the 73 Toll road there is a shopping center on the left that includes a very nice Vons Pavillions grocery store (with a Jamba Juice, a Starbucks, a gellato bar, a sushi bar, a peanut grinding station, and more). It is a very good store, the deli there is amazing. They make good garlic bread in the bakery too, to take back & cook in the oven at your unit.

We were told our room was ready, however, it was not. We checked in and I didn't find out from my daughter until we had already loaded 3 carts full of stuff from the van up there, that the room was only partially cleaned & readied for guests. The drapes were all closed & all the furniture drawers were open. Usually at a MVC resort, both of these are the opposite when you check in (drapes open--drawers closed). In the kitchen a dirty cleaning rag was on the granite counter and the counters looked dirty. The floor looked dirty. I went in the 2nd bedroom & there was trash all over the carpet and a plastic bag from Vons laying on the floor.

I called the lobby and had the maid come back & finish cleaning everything. This should not happen. Someone was responsible to clean & someone else to check & make sure everything was done before they clear a room as being ready, so this involved numerous screw ups & made us question whether anything in the room was actually cleaned. Moving to another condo was possible, but we had so much stuff already in there, that I didn't think it was a good idea. We brought our own disinfectant wipes, so we wiped down all the door handles, and all the remote controls, etc. We usually do this as a precaution.

I was surprised that with our building being the newest they were still putting in those large jetted bathtubs that no one uses. I have heard that MVC is phasing them out because people don't like them, and prefer larger showers & bathrooms. Only the TV in the living room had a DVD player which also surprised me because other locations we have been to have been upgrading to have a DVD player in each bedroom so you can watch movies (& with kids, you may want to watch an R rated movie in your room). We really appreciate that flexibility and didn't have it at this location.

The new sofabeds with the foam mattresses are so much better than the old style that have the metal bars & springs going across with the thin saggy mattresses. We have used this new type of sofabed on two trips now & they are great. They are easy to open and close and safer for kids too, as there are no sharp metal bars to get cut on, or pinched, it is just a safe & solid foam mattress that pulls out onto the floor. Very comfortable & we had two teenagers sleeping there.

At this location the master bathroom area where the toilet and the shower are located behind a closed door is very small. It is an angled area, and you barely have enough room to use the toilet & it is hard to get your clothes on & off outside of the shower there & to find a place to put anything, as there is only a toilet and thankfully 1 hook on the door. I also don't like having the dual sinks out in the bedroom area, or my husband turning on those really bright lights in the morning to shave while I am still in bed. I prefer a large bathroom all inclusive behind a bathroom door and a separate bedroom, but most MVC units are set up in this manner with it split up. I also think that when they stop putting in the jetted tubs, they won't give more space to the other parts of the bathroom, they will just reduce the square footage. We stayed at the new Shadow Ridge Enclaves in Palm Desert & those new style units are really tiny, with very tiny furniture as well (not enough room to put 2 days worth of clothes). So if this sounds negative, I am just being factual & trying to give you my observations. I think the beds are very comfortable. The Master bedroom is a king and the 2nd bedroom is a queen, along with a full sofabed, and the living room has a queen sofabed.

With all that being said, we will continue to come back & stay at the Newport Coast Villas because of the location, and because it is only 5 hours from our home, so it is convenient for us. My 3 favorite MVC locations are: Newport Villas, Shadow Ridge Palm Desert (the Villages) , and Canyon Villas at Phoenix, AZ. We have stayed at many of them, all over the country.

I recommend this Newport location if you like being by the beach, or if you want to visit So. Cal.,. however, if you are planning to visit Disneyland, CA Adventure Park, Knotts Berry Farm, I would recommend you stay at a hotel that is very close so you can make the most of your time and not spend an hour on the freeway getting there. For Disneyland, the Marriott Hotel at the Convention Center is a great choice and a bus picks you up and drops you off all day and an hour after parks close. We stayed there & it was a great choice. From Newport Villas, you could visit the San Diego attractions, like Balboa Park, San Diego Zoo, the museums, the San Diego Wild Animal Park, SeaWorld, and further north, Legoland, but traffic on the 5 freeway can be intense.

In closing, if you want to get away from it all & have a great relaxing time right next to the beach, and or Newport Beach/ Laguna Beach, this is the place to do it. Also, across the street is the Pelican Hill Resort, which is amazing. it is 5 star & has some really good restaurants, including a good coffee bar, with deserts that look amazing, and gellato is served there.

P.S. unless you book your Newport Villa as a hotel type reservation, you will not have maid service unless you want to pay extra for it. However, you can exchange your towels for clean by calling AYS on the phone & this helps a lot. If you do pay more for your room, you can make it up by cooking some good meals in the condo, so it is a good value to stay here.

Room Tip: If you have young kids, ask for a room nearest the activity center and the main pool that is close t...
2  Thank MOTHERLOAD
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
#8 of 18 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!