“very nice but....”

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed February 14, 2013

the jury is still out if I really like this place or not! it is a HUGE complex and sprawled out for what appears to be miles! one get a secluded feeling as there are few neighbors, good and bad. one has to drive around the complex, nothing is easily walkable, so bad.

Room Tip: anything with ocean view is wonderful
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I would stay here anytime. Beautiful grounds, amazing view, well maintained and just plain fun. Food at the pool bar was shockingly good! Life size checkers, fussball and pool tables outside, video games for teens.
The only small negative was spotty housekeeping. most days were perfect, but two were pretty bad. No replacement of tissue, detergent, things like that. But we really didn't care. The rooms were awesome and we felt right at home!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank kariMilwaukee
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Like most Southern California Coast timeshare resorts, they are not on the beach but they provide a shuttle bus to the beach, nearby shopping malls, and downtown Laguna Beach which is a plus considering that All parking even most public lots is $2 per hour with a 1 to 3 hour max. We had a large 2 bedroom corner unit on the second floor for 7 nights. It did have a view of the ocean but the trees below us partially obstructed the view. There was a free wine and cheese party where the friendly resort department heads introduced themselves and mingled during the party. From this base we were able to visit the old town areas of Seal Beach (highly recommend this and free parking), Newport Beach's Balboa Island (a short $4 ferry ride from there to the old town area with ferris wheel), and Laguna Beach (don't miss the paved walk way near the edge of the beach and the staircase up to the view points of Bird Rock).
The staff were friendly and helpful. We met another couple at the wine and cheese party who had trouble with the hilly area and it was no problem to catch staff to take us back to the units on a golf cart. The rooms could use a little more sound proofing. This was the first time a resor emailed us to ask what our preferences were - a nice touch. I didn't respond but they still gave us a great room. We did the timeshare tour and didn't buy, but the staff were very friendly and no pressure at all. It was nice to see how timeshares have evolved over time. Unfortunately Marriott going to points basis will probably mean fewer of their weeks going into Interval International. If I weren't already stuck with a couple of old single week timeshares in Florida I would have loved the flexibility of the Marriott point system. Like others have said, to get these you need to go off season. Finally, we highly recommend Hennessy's restaurant in Laguna Beach and Seal Beach for hamburgers on buy-on-get one free on Tuesdays and also on Thursdays they celebrate birthdays for that week with a free meal.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank James S
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We were so happy to have lucked out in reserving a 2 bdrm unit at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas last month. It is a timeshare we have been considering buying into. We really enjoyed our stay, but I'm still not sure we would buy.

Pros:
- Check-in was quick and friendly. We were sent to the concierge to pick up a discount card which I was wary of doing as I was afraid of being pulled into a timeshare pitch, but I think they saw that we were with young children and just gave us the discount card and we were on our way. We received no timeshare pressure at all during our stay.
- We stayed in the 4800 building and the 2bdrm unit was large and clean. Loved the bathrooms. Beds were super comfy. Lots of lighting. Huge soaker tub in master bdrm. They said it had an ocean view, but it's not a great one...you have to look over the parking lot and several buildings to see it.
- Well stocked kitchen. We didn't cook too much, but I found it had everything I needed, like dish detergent, dishwasher detergent, dish sponge, dish cloths, salt/pepper, starter pack of coffee/tea and condiments.
- Pool area was very nice. Oceanview from the pool area was AMAZING....enjoyed watching the sunset from there. The pool area was great - once weather warmed up during our trip!! Pools are heated but still chilly when weather is anything cooler than 25C. I loved the live music.
- Great location - 5 min drive from Fashion Island mall, and 20 mins to Disneyland (which was the main purpose of our trip). We've stayed at hotels right next to Disneyland and they are just not as spacious and nice, and are more expensive.

Cons:
- Ugly dark green carpet in dining area/living room with very little to no underlay. Not comfortable at all, which is very surprising for a Marriott. Also, who puts carpet in a dining area?? I tried my best to clean up after my kids, but I shudder to think how dirty those carpets actually are. I would hope they'd redo that area in tile when it's up for renos.
- No housekeeping service during the 7 days we were there. Most timeshares have one mid-week light housekeeping service.
- I didn't love their bath products. I can't remember the name of it - never heard of it - but the lotion was not very moisturizing, and one of my kids said the shampoo made their head itchy.
- We were very excited that they had a kids club, as we were at Welks Resort a couple months earlier and the kids LOVED the kids club. However, the Marriott kids club is in dire need of renos or some TLC. My son was missing his Wii so we went for one of their Mariokart sessions advertised on their activities schedule. When we got there we were told only one controller worked because the others ran out of batteries and only one charger worked. Another kid was already playing, so we had to wait. Then my daughter wanted to draw on the whiteboard and they said they didn't have any markers and were waiting on an order. We tried playing a game, but good luck finding ANY game that actually has all the pieces in the box!! It was such a pathetic assortment of busted up boxes and old games - if it were my business I would scrap them all and buy new - it's an embarrassment to even offer them. I saw kids coming in for a toy stuffing session, and they were told there was only one type of animal left (dolphin, I think) so both kids had to make that.

Like I mentioned earlier, our main purpose for this trip was to visit Disneyland, so we didn't spend a lot of time at the resort, but the couple of days that we did, we weren't so in love with it that felt like we had to buy. It was a nice stay, I would probably stay again because I loved the area and location (don't forget to check out Balboa Island when you're there!!), but I will also look elsewhere to find someplace else to actually own.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank rayofsunshine8892
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here for a week and while the weather could have been better, the Newport Coast villas are great! We had a great view of the ocean and one hole of Pelican Hill's golf course from our windows. The villas are nicely furnished and have all the necessities needed. We shopped at a nearby Trader Joe's and Albertsons for groceries. The bedrooms are comfortable, spacious and bathrooms very nice. Remember this is not a hotel and in most cases room cleaning is extra, but the units have washers and dryers and we really didn't want the hassle of maid service.

Room Tip: Building 4500 offers great views in a quiet area, but not close to the pool or front offices.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank NoFo
Reviewed February 4, 2013

So this was our second stay at the NCV's. Our stay was a mixture of good's and not so great's but nothing terrible.

Pro's

1. Check in was a breeze. We actually showed up a half hour before check in time and were told that our room was ready, this was nice as others on here have commented that they have had to wait at least until 4pm or later to get their room keys. Lisa checked us in and she was very nice and pleasant.

2. A week before we arrived we were sent an email asking us our room preferences, they gave us three room options from most to least desirable. Of course we first picked a top floor corner room with ocean views. To our delite we were given room 2330, top floor, corner room, with ocean views.

3. As was the case with our previous stay to the villa is nicely appointed and spacious, even the second bedroom is a nice size. The master bedroom is a perfect size and has good views of the ocean.

4. Employee's were nice and friendly all around. We were asked once if we would be interested in a Marriott timeshare presentation. I told them that we had been on the tour before and weren't interested. They didn't ask us anymore after that, no pestering, no phone calls. I don't understand other guests experiences of rude selling tacticts.

5. The pool area is large and there are many activities available to families from ping pong to a kids play room.

6. Wi-Fi is free, which is great, a savings of at least $10-$20 for the week. Thank you NCV!

7. We are not Marriott owners, we own through Interval and RCI, so if anyone says that you have to be a NCV owner to get a top floor unit is just plain wrong. If you travel during holiday's or summer and expect to get a top floor unit over a NCV owner then you're just plain delusional. Travel in the off season like we do and get what you want!

For the above listed items I give the NCV's 5 stars.

Con's:

1. I've learned that this must be a Marriott thing as we've now stayed in Marriott's five times, but the sound proofing in this place is not great. As I noted in my first review from 3 years ago wall and floor sound proofing leaves a lot to be desired. Front doors on a lower level and especially doors next door, if allowed to slam, will shake your units walls, no doubt. If a loud TV is on next door or if someone who talks loudly is next door, you will hear them. I even more firmly now believe that anything other than a top floor unit will cause you much anger from listening to loud walkers, loud door closures, running water, and loud conversationists. If we had been given a second floor unit I would have raised hell and possibly "tipped" the check in person to get a top floor.

2. Wi-Fi is free, yes, but it's not very fast. If you try to live stream something like Netflix you will get a lot of stops and buffering. Their Wi-Fi speed is fine for surfing the web but for anything like streaming it's sloooow.

3. The room we were in, 2330, shares a master bedroom wall with a storage room. This is great since there are no neighbors to annoy you. But there was some sort of machinery either in that storage room or on the roof ( I could never tell) that comes on early in the morning (5:30am-ish) and it vibrates the walls right where your head is laying. This is something that needs to be addressed by NCV.

4. There used to be a quiet pool at the NCV but there weren't any this time. NCV needs to reinstitute this practice, at least with the pool nearest the bar area. There are some of us who would like to swim in a pool that isn't being bombarded with kids and their associated pee and suspect diapers. This goes for the hot tubs as well, an adults only hot tub would be nice. A word of warning to those who read this: if there is foam on top of the water in a hot tub it means it's contaminated with bacteria.

5. On our first stay three years ago we found the beds in villa 1620 to be far more comfortable than the ones in 2330. I wish I had brought my foam mattress topper like I usually do. I ended up having sleep on top of the comforter and using the spare bedding to provide better cushoning. You also should bring your own pillows, the ones at NCV are not great, not for me any way.

6. My biggest complaint of the week was this: we were in our room for 7 days. The room next to us, for reason's that escape me, was rented out on a nightly basis. In the 7 days we were there the room next to us was occupied by different guests three times. That means a lot of slammed doors and drawers from all the guests coming and going and a lot of slammed doors and drawers from the cleaning crew who seem to take pride in making as much noise as humanly possible. NCV should really consider this when booking guests who are staying for a night or two versus those who are staying for a week.

So for the above listed items I take a way two stars. Net: 3 stars.

I'm sure we will stay here again in the future but we won't do it unless we have an upstairs corner room and until NCV addresses some of the issues listed above. If I had spent $300 a night on this place my review wouldn't be so favorable.

Room Tip: Anything other than an upstairs unit, preferably an upstairs corner unit, regardless of building sho...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank outacali
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The location of this hotel is phenomenal with views of the ocean from nearly anywhere. Great pool and recreation area with life size chess and ping pong tables. The shuttle to Crystal Cove State Park was nice. Also a very easy walk to the beach.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
#9 of 18 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!