“Great location, nice unit, kids club needs some renos” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marriott's Newport Coast Villas

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Great location, nice unit, kids club needs some renos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We were so happy to have lucked out in reserving a 2 bdrm unit at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas last month. It is a timeshare we have been considering buying into. We really enjoyed our stay, but I'm still not sure we would buy.

Pros:
- Check-in was quick and friendly. We were sent to the concierge to pick up a discount card which I was wary of doing as I was afraid of being pulled into a timeshare pitch, but I think they saw that we were with young children and just gave us the discount card and we were on our way. We received no timeshare pressure at all during our stay.
- We stayed in the 4800 building and the 2bdrm unit was large and clean. Loved the bathrooms. Beds were super comfy. Lots of lighting. Huge soaker tub in master bdrm. They said it had an ocean view, but it's not a great one...you have to look over the parking lot and several buildings to see it.
- Well stocked kitchen. We didn't cook too much, but I found it had everything I needed, like dish detergent, dishwasher detergent, dish sponge, dish cloths, salt/pepper, starter pack of coffee/tea and condiments.
- Pool area was very nice. Oceanview from the pool area was AMAZING....enjoyed watching the sunset from there. The pool area was great - once weather warmed up during our trip!! Pools are heated but still chilly when weather is anything cooler than 25C. I loved the live music.
- Great location - 5 min drive from Fashion Island mall, and 20 mins to Disneyland (which was the main purpose of our trip). We've stayed at hotels right next to Disneyland and they are just not as spacious and nice, and are more expensive.

Cons:
- Ugly dark green carpet in dining area/living room with very little to no underlay. Not comfortable at all, which is very surprising for a Marriott. Also, who puts carpet in a dining area?? I tried my best to clean up after my kids, but I shudder to think how dirty those carpets actually are. I would hope they'd redo that area in tile when it's up for renos.
- No housekeeping service during the 7 days we were there. Most timeshares have one mid-week light housekeeping service.
- I didn't love their bath products. I can't remember the name of it - never heard of it - but the lotion was not very moisturizing, and one of my kids said the shampoo made their head itchy.
- We were very excited that they had a kids club, as we were at Welks Resort a couple months earlier and the kids LOVED the kids club. However, the Marriott kids club is in dire need of renos or some TLC. My son was missing his Wii so we went for one of their Mariokart sessions advertised on their activities schedule. When we got there we were told only one controller worked because the others ran out of batteries and only one charger worked. Another kid was already playing, so we had to wait. Then my daughter wanted to draw on the whiteboard and they said they didn't have any markers and were waiting on an order. We tried playing a game, but good luck finding ANY game that actually has all the pieces in the box!! It was such a pathetic assortment of busted up boxes and old games - if it were my business I would scrap them all and buy new - it's an embarrassment to even offer them. I saw kids coming in for a toy stuffing session, and they were told there was only one type of animal left (dolphin, I think) so both kids had to make that.

Like I mentioned earlier, our main purpose for this trip was to visit Disneyland, so we didn't spend a lot of time at the resort, but the couple of days that we did, we weren't so in love with it that felt like we had to buy. It was a nice stay, I would probably stay again because I loved the area and location (don't forget to check out Balboa Island when you're there!!), but I will also look elsewhere to find someplace else to actually own.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank rayofsunshine8892

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Korean first
Raleigh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed here for a week and while the weather could have been better, the Newport Coast villas are great! We had a great view of the ocean and one hole of Pelican Hill's golf course from our windows. The villas are nicely furnished and have all the necessities needed. We shopped at a nearby Trader Joe's and Albertsons for groceries. The bedrooms are comfortable, spacious and bathrooms very nice. Remember this is not a hotel and in most cases room cleaning is extra, but the units have washers and dryers and we really didn't want the hassle of maid service.

Room Tip: Building 4500 offers great views in a quiet area, but not close to the pool or front offices.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank NoFo
nor cal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

So this was our second stay at the NCV's. Our stay was a mixture of good's and not so great's but nothing terrible.

Pro's

1. Check in was a breeze. We actually showed up a half hour before check in time and were told that our room was ready, this was nice as others on here have commented that they have had to wait at least until 4pm or later to get their room keys. Lisa checked us in and she was very nice and pleasant.

2. A week before we arrived we were sent an email asking us our room preferences, they gave us three room options from most to least desirable. Of course we first picked a top floor corner room with ocean views. To our delite we were given room 2330, top floor, corner room, with ocean views.

3. As was the case with our previous stay to the villa is nicely appointed and spacious, even the second bedroom is a nice size. The master bedroom is a perfect size and has good views of the ocean.

4. Employee's were nice and friendly all around. We were asked once if we would be interested in a Marriott timeshare presentation. I told them that we had been on the tour before and weren't interested. They didn't ask us anymore after that, no pestering, no phone calls. I don't understand other guests experiences of rude selling tacticts.

5. The pool area is large and there are many activities available to families from ping pong to a kids play room.

6. Wi-Fi is free, which is great, a savings of at least $10-$20 for the week. Thank you NCV!

7. We are not Marriott owners, we own through Interval and RCI, so if anyone says that you have to be a NCV owner to get a top floor unit is just plain wrong. If you travel during holiday's or summer and expect to get a top floor unit over a NCV owner then you're just plain delusional. Travel in the off season like we do and get what you want!

For the above listed items I give the NCV's 5 stars.

Con's:

1. I've learned that this must be a Marriott thing as we've now stayed in Marriott's five times, but the sound proofing in this place is not great. As I noted in my first review from 3 years ago wall and floor sound proofing leaves a lot to be desired. Front doors on a lower level and especially doors next door, if allowed to slam, will shake your units walls, no doubt. If a loud TV is on next door or if someone who talks loudly is next door, you will hear them. I even more firmly now believe that anything other than a top floor unit will cause you much anger from listening to loud walkers, loud door closures, running water, and loud conversationists. If we had been given a second floor unit I would have raised hell and possibly "tipped" the check in person to get a top floor.

2. Wi-Fi is free, yes, but it's not very fast. If you try to live stream something like Netflix you will get a lot of stops and buffering. Their Wi-Fi speed is fine for surfing the web but for anything like streaming it's sloooow.

3. The room we were in, 2330, shares a master bedroom wall with a storage room. This is great since there are no neighbors to annoy you. But there was some sort of machinery either in that storage room or on the roof ( I could never tell) that comes on early in the morning (5:30am-ish) and it vibrates the walls right where your head is laying. This is something that needs to be addressed by NCV.

4. There used to be a quiet pool at the NCV but there weren't any this time. NCV needs to reinstitute this practice, at least with the pool nearest the bar area. There are some of us who would like to swim in a pool that isn't being bombarded with kids and their associated pee and suspect diapers. This goes for the hot tubs as well, an adults only hot tub would be nice. A word of warning to those who read this: if there is foam on top of the water in a hot tub it means it's contaminated with bacteria.

5. On our first stay three years ago we found the beds in villa 1620 to be far more comfortable than the ones in 2330. I wish I had brought my foam mattress topper like I usually do. I ended up having sleep on top of the comforter and using the spare bedding to provide better cushoning. You also should bring your own pillows, the ones at NCV are not great, not for me any way.

6. My biggest complaint of the week was this: we were in our room for 7 days. The room next to us, for reason's that escape me, was rented out on a nightly basis. In the 7 days we were there the room next to us was occupied by different guests three times. That means a lot of slammed doors and drawers from all the guests coming and going and a lot of slammed doors and drawers from the cleaning crew who seem to take pride in making as much noise as humanly possible. NCV should really consider this when booking guests who are staying for a night or two versus those who are staying for a week.

So for the above listed items I take a way two stars. Net: 3 stars.

I'm sure we will stay here again in the future but we won't do it unless we have an upstairs corner room and until NCV addresses some of the issues listed above. If I had spent $300 a night on this place my review wouldn't be so favorable.

Room Tip: Anything other than an upstairs unit, preferably an upstairs corner unit, regardless of building sho...
4 Thank outacali
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The location of this hotel is phenomenal with views of the ocean from nearly anywhere. Great pool and recreation area with life size chess and ping pong tables. The shuttle to Crystal Cove State Park was nice. Also a very easy walk to the beach.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Mike H
hemet, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is a great location for a Southern California family vacation. The units are large and very well kept. The development is across the street from Crystal Cove State Park which has a nice beach and tide pools. Marriott provides a shuttle that will take you there. We made it to Disneyland in 20 minutes each morning,however, if you want to stay around and just enjoy the resort, Marriott has plenty of activities to keep you busy!

Room Tip: Request a west facing, ocean front unit. We had a lovely ocean view but it was east facing so we mis...
1 Thank pennie349
Laguna Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We booked this room directly through their hotel website. We stayed in a 2-bedroom suite that was absolutely perfect for our group. There was a large master suite with a private en suite bathroom (complete with a very large and luxurious separate bath). The second bedroom had an en suite bathroom as well, but also served as a guest bath. Full kitchen with amenities, great little patio with a partial view of the ocean, and a comfortable living room / TV area. The grounds are gorgeous, the views are spectacular, and the room was very clean and comfortable. If you're traveling with another couple or with parents, this is the perfect alternative to two staying in two separate hotel rooms. We would definitely stay here again if the situation called for a 2-bedroom suite. This is an absolutely gorgeous property on the ocean, with countless amenities nearby.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank napa_sun
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful few days here with friends, would definitely go again. Beautiful grounds, though would have preferred more compact size to facilitate walking, kids loved the pool, and I loved the views from the generously sized balcony.

• Stayed December 2012
Fairmont Newport Beach
Fairmont Newport Beach
#10 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,356 reviews

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!