“Love this place”

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed December 30, 2012

My husband and I just returned after a week here. We have been here numerous times and at all times of the year. We always enjoy our stays. Several reviews have stated that the staff is unfriendly and unhelpful. We have NEVER experienced that. I always take walks throughout the resort and whenever I pass a staff member, I am greeted in return with at least a smile and more than likely a verbal greeting. However, I didn't find that to always be a fact when passing other clientale. I found it interesting that many of the other visitors looked away when greeted or just nodded with a "grunt". That makes me wonder if the persons who complain about the staff may need to look at their attitudes also. Just saying!! :-)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CATravel4fun
There are newer reviews for Marriott's Newport Coast Villas

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have stayed at various Marriott properties over the years, mostly through my parent's timeshare with Marriott. The quality of Marriott properites definitely varies by location. But we have been very pleased each time we stayed at the Marriott Newport Coast Viilas. Positives: large rooms, fantastic location near the ocean, full working kitchen and washer & dryer, good gym, various pools, helpful staff, close to Disneyland (about 30 min drive), lots of activites each day for kids and adults, family friendly. Negative: average / slightly dated furniture. But I should add that this is a very slight negative and did not imapct in any way our enjoyment of the property. Overall I would definitely recommend staying here if visiting the Newport Coast area.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our family stays here on many vacations, as my sister lives nearby. It is located just minutes from the beach and is a wonderful spot for vacationing. The furniture in the rooms is a bit dated, but the rooms are clean. The grounds are lovely and very well maintained. There are many activites for adults and families. The beds are okay, but the pillows are far too flat. Perhaps because it is a Marriott property, there was a bit of an issue extending one of our rooms for a night- we were quoted three different prices for the same night. Overall, this is a great place for our family to gather and perhaps there will be an update of the rooms soon!

Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

My family has stayed here twice and we love it! The rooms are spacious and nicely furnished. The views are also great, as some of the views looks out over the ocean and Catalina. The service is great and everything is very nice. Additionally it is supremely family-friendly! Overall it is a really great place

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Guinness304
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Our second visit to this gorgeous property, and definitely not my last. We're not Marriott Vacation Club Owners. It's not obvious, but based on availability you can rent a villa, just like any other room at any Marriott. Just make sure to make a reservation well in advance. Do walk the grounds a few times, even with the big hills. It's like being at some beautiful complex on Lake Como. Except on a very clear day, you can easily see Catalina Island. We stayed in the 5100 building this trip and just down the hill at 4700 last time (March '10). Both afforded beautiful ocean views from the balcony. Although the 5100 is as far from the clubhouse as you can get, it is right next to one of the pool/hot tub/fitness center complexes in a quieter part of the property. As others have said, try to get a top floor if possible. You'll receive an email about 2 weeks prior to arrival asking for special requests. The staff is very helpful and genuinely want your vacation to be enjoyable. Look at the resort map you can find on-line and do give them 2-3 requests before you arrive. The villa was immaculate, and we were able to arrange for housekeeping at a certain time each day (of our 6 night stay), which was a nice touch. Yes, the reception area is undergoing a rehab, but no big deal. The main pool by the club house is where the action is, but if you're into a more quiet experience, try one of the satellite pool areas; one of which I've mentioned. There is an activity center on site, including many sporting needs rentals, like bicycles for the great trails across the PCH along the beach. The villa itself is spacious. It can easily sleep 6. The kitchen is small but has everything you need. Even a compact washer/dryer is available which comes in handy. I can't say enough about how spacious and appealing the villa is......OK...the decor seems a little dated. The only 2 knocks we can come up with are that there is no full service restaurant/bar (yes, there is the poolside facility, but just during pool hours) and the check-in is pretty late in the day - 4 PM. There are plenty of great restaurants in nearby Laguna Beach and Corona Del Mar villages as well as the huge Fashion Island Mall to find eateries. If you're going to do some eating-in, the Pavillions' supermarket in the strip mall (with Starbucks and a couple of casual restaurants) about 2 miles up Newport Coast Drive, has everything you'll need. Show them your Marriott keycard and receive the same discount as their shopping club members do. This part of California is among the most spectacular places on the planet to visit and the Marriott Newport Coast will make your time in this special place most enjoyable. Can't wait to return.

2  Thank TheBahstonBees
Reviewed December 24, 2012

Used our Marriott points to stay for 6 nights at the Villas. The points charge was excessive & Marriott's corporate offices fail in treating Gold members properly. Now that that's out of the way, we had a spacious, terrific 2 bedroom suite in a quiet, peaceful area of the resort next to the canyon & golf course with a limited ocean view. Breakfast & coffee on the balcony were some of my favorite moments. At night, all we heard were the owls - it was very private. "Nancy the Red head" went out of her way for us & is a real gem. We had little contact with others but they didn't seem to be overly friendly or helpful. The property is about 60 miles from the Hollywood action with plenty of traffic. Newport is a beautiful, upscale area, great shops & plenty of good restaurants. I highly recommend it.

1  Thank mistermcgregor2017
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed at the 3900 villa, which was AMAZINGLY located! The view was phenominal. I wish I had been able to make my owners request sooner, however, they did not have my correct email address, so I was never contacted. I did get most of my request when I did call them 3 weeks ahead. One of the 4 buildings I requested, 3rd out of 4 floors, and a great view. Parking, it appears, is almost always a problem here.

I agree with one thing that one of my fellow owners complained about for apparently the sam week. I have seen people smoking on balconies and too many people cramming into some rooms. I do feel security should step up more and call out some guests or "owners" and enforce the policies for the good of the people. If people are violating rules, they signed a contract they should have read. No reason to be affraid to enforce the rules and upset one or two to make hundreds more happy.

Room Tip: Call them 29 days ahead to put in your preferrential criteria if you're an owner.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 18 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
#9 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!