“The Best Fish Tacos”

Ranked #37 of 513 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Bear Flag Fish Co. is the seafood wonderland we all long for on idle summer days, a fish market-cum-restaurant where brilliant slabs of tuna glint like rubies and the spindrift of crashing waves hangs in the air. It’s minimalism at its seafaring best — Bear Flag understands that often all a fish needs is a satisfying char and the salty rush of a beach breeze.- LA TimesThe Bear Flag Fish Co. pushes a healthy lifestyle that’s exuded from just about everything in their spot, including the food, the decor and the good looking people coming in and out.-FoodBeastSometimes good food is simply, simple. Its fresh ingredients create an effortless melody, the kind you find stuck in your head when you’re in the shower, or driving to work or when you’re cleaning up around the house. -OC Register
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent a relaxing Friday in Newport recently. We had a late lunch. Grilled wahoo tacos chips guacamole and a grilled artichoke . Awesome. Will be back many more times this summer.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We took the word of family that this place was well worth the wait. We arrived 2.5 hours before closing and the line was out the door,15-20 people in front of us. From the time we arrived, to the counter, it took 45 minutes, no exaggeration! That's insane! And while waiting, I had to keep watching all of the specials I wanted get erased off the board. I had originally intended to get some of the sushi they featured online, only to find out at the counter that all they had were california rolls. Very disappointing. They did have some cajun seared Tuna with a ponzu type dipping sauce, but it was sitting open in the cold case. I couldn't bring myself to get a seared tuna that had been sitting out for x amount of time. I ended up getting some of the tuna poki, which was really good, but I don't believe the wait was worth it.

Also, the bathrooms were horrible. I don't know what I expected from a small dive like this, but if I'd known beforehand, I would have held it.

A restaurant as renowned and established as this one, shouldn't be running out of food 2 hours before they close. If we return, it will be to the other location near Crystal Cove.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Sorry but we don't get this place. Visited twice with same experience. Crowded and noisy. Long wait for food. Fish burritos are OK, but lack spice. Fish in the tacos is good, but tortillas were tough as leather. Could not eat them. There will not be a third visit.

1  Thank Marmott44
Reviewed March 25, 2014 via mobile

Good. The sautéed veggies were great. The salmon and sword fish were solidly good. Nothing mind-blowing

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Discovered this gem of a restaurant on our last night in Newport Beach! Absolutely LOVE this place and the prices- will definitely return, when in the area. Enjoyed the Albacore Tuna ("bowl" served on a plate) with brown rice and sauteed vegetables. A local man suggested we have the Ahi Tuna ($2 more), but by the time we got to the cash register to order, the Ahi Tuna was all gone. We did order a half a pound of Ahi Poke served with chips-Yummy!!! Also enjoyed the salmon bowl and a mahi mahi burrito. The place is small-ish, the line was "out the door", and the few tables are close together and we had to clean our table ourselves, but the fresh fish is worth the visit!!!