“grilled grouper on baguette like a dream”

Bear Flag Fish Co-Newport Peninsula
Ranked #34 of 512 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Bear Flag Fish Co. is the seafood wonderland we all long for on idle summer days, a fish market-cum-restaurant where brilliant slabs of tuna glint like rubies and the spindrift of crashing waves hangs in the air. It’s minimalism at its seafaring best — Bear Flag understands that often all a fish needs is a satisfying char and the salty rush of a beach breeze.- LA TimesThe Bear Flag Fish Co. pushes a healthy lifestyle that’s exuded from just about everything in their spot, including the food, the decor and the good looking people coming in and out.-FoodBeastSometimes good food is simply, simple. Its fresh ingredients create an effortless melody, the kind you find stuck in your head when you’re in the shower, or driving to work or when you’re cleaning up around the house. -OC Register
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Food was great. Wait was bad.
Also after we'd waited 35 mins (the 2nd visit: Ftiday evening) they told us they were closed and could only give us Fish Tacos. Luckily the Fish Tacos were suberb. And inexpensive.

1  Thank grw1947

Reviewed June 11, 2013

Got there late Saturday night and waited in line about 15 minutes - place was packed but managed to find two seats at the counter. Had the Poke, which was good, not great, and two different seafood burritos. Both were very tasty and large. An added bonus was playing the "Claw Machine", where you try for live lobster instead of the usual stuffed bear. I'd go back again, as the food choices are extensive.

1  Thank LBJPortland
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Saw a stunning review of this restaurant in a local paper and decided to give a try for lunch. We ordered the Grilled Panko Fish Tacos, and a special of the day, Cajun Yellowtail Fish Burrito along with chips and salsa. The chips and salsa were handed to us as we ordered, the normal sized portion that you would get in any restaurant along with the salsa in a plastic container. The salsa was good and fresh - although a little more would have suited me, but for $4.95 I expected a far larger helping of chips. Note to BFF Co. - these are free at most places! The 'Cajun' Fish Burrito - ample, but totally lacking in any Cajun spice, and the tortilla could have done with being on the grill for a while to enhance its flavor. The Fish Tacos - again ample, but totally devoid of flavor and the Panko crust was sparse. Service - slow. If you want a lemon they will hit you $1 extra! C'mon, I know the rent in NB must be high, but their prices are way out there! I'm afraid to ask the price on the poke!.Not worth the drive.

1  Thank SweatersPram
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I love their poke, it is the best in the area. This is healthy eating. You order, and then try to find a seat. I wish they would expand the seating area, or allow more outdoor seating. There are two locations. The Newport Beach location is bigger and older. Anyway, i love eating here first then shopping after.
The portions are perfect. Not too much, but enough to stuff you. Love the grilled veggies.

... and you can't beat the view!

Reviewed May 15, 2013

This is a clean, small and simple seafood restaurant. I have a feeling it's a Mexican, Japanese or Hawaiian fusion? I may be wrong. Anyhow, it's our first time here and I was confused with their setup. I guess, you order in the counter first and your food is cooked fresh then they either deliver it to your table or call out your name for pick-up. Staffs seem friendly and they are busy that day. For such a small place, they sure get a lot of customers. The cook apologized when he forgot my order but corrected it right away. Tables are limited. The fishes they serve are fresh and somewhat costly (as expected). But, it's just average in taste. I was disappointed that the rice they serve was still somewhat half cooked; you can still feel the crunch on the uncooked part of the rice - yuck. We ordered salmon lunch plate with rice and veggie, kid's fish meal for our toddlers, teriyaki salmon burrito, salmon burrito, mahi mahi burrito, and of course, pokes with chips! Every single one of our order was mediocre, not worth driving over an hour to have again. However, the Salmon and Tuna Poke are absolutely the best. The chips that comes with it was also tasty and thick. It's not like those mex tortilla chips you get that easily breaks. Now, those Pokes are worth driving over an hour to have again!

This restaurant is super hard to find if it's your first time. Parking would be a challenge on busy days for sure. We went on a Monday so it was not bad.

If not for their yummy Pokes, this restaurant deserved only 3 stars rating for an overall average experience. However, because of their yummy Poke, I added 1 more star. I'm already craving for Salmon and Tuna poke and chips!