“Delicious”

Ranked #34 of 512 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Takeout
Description: Bear Flag Fish Co. is the seafood wonderland we all long for on idle summer days, a fish market-cum-restaurant where brilliant slabs of tuna glint like rubies and the spindrift of crashing waves hangs in the air. It’s minimalism at its seafaring best — Bear Flag understands that often all a fish needs is a satisfying char and the salty rush of a beach breeze.- LA TimesThe Bear Flag Fish Co. pushes a healthy lifestyle that’s exuded from just about everything in their spot, including the food, the decor and the good looking people coming in and out.-FoodBeastSometimes good food is simply, simple. Its fresh ingredients create an effortless melody, the kind you find stuck in your head when you’re in the shower, or driving to work or when you’re cleaning up around the house. -OC Register
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Recently travelled to Newport Beach, CA and had the opportunity to eat at both Bear Flag Fish Co. locations. The food was fresh and delicious. A definite trip highlight. Will most definitely visit again whenever our travels take us back to this area!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Excellent choice for a casual dining lunch. Everything is fresh with outstanding daily specials. The fish tacos an salads are decisions. The clam chower is ok--too pasty for my taste but great flavor. Portions are very large. Large tables inside and some tables outside for al fresco dining. You'll end up sharing your table with is always fun. A great choice for a day on Balboa Island.
Parking can be a challenge in the busy beach season but it is well worth the walk from whereever you can find a place to part.

1  Thank LizB86
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We were going to go to a place next door and decided to go in here. A casual place, good prices, everyone friendly. You order at the counter then take your seat and they bring it to you. I got the "Fish of the Day" burrito which was gilled fish (healthy!) and black beans, just a small amount of rice and pico de gallo sauce along with their special sauce. I think it was about $8. Totally worth it. I'm 6'1 and just over 200 so I am not a small eater, it was enough for me. Nothing on side, it was just the burrito, but thats all that was needed. My friend got a couple fish tacos at $3 each they looked good.
Check it out! I should note there are two in newport beach though and we went to the one in Crystal Cove on Coast Highway (may be in city of Newport Coast)

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Our daughter intorduced us to Bear Flag in July when we stopped off to vist them. We went to their new location in Newport Beach. There were people standing outside the door and I wondered if we were going to be able to sample this wonderful fish that my daughter was ranting and raving about. Everything moves really fast as you place your order over their deli like counter of fish and other treats. Then you next chore is to find a place to sit down you have options in doors or on outside in front of their store.

What you learn fast is if one or two people are siiting in a long large table you politely ask them if you can join them....everyone seems to be all right with this. So don't let this scare you off but embrace it and you will like how everyone reacts to this atmosphmere.

Now the reason we went there. "The Fish!" I had a Halibut sandwich to die for...delious and really tender fish. they also have a cerviche made with shrimp that is out of this world. They do wraps or bread or just plain fish.

We loved it so much that when we flew back to Southern Calf. in the next month we came straight from the Orange county airport and stopped there for another hit of their fablous fish. We now have them on our Fish food radar that if we are any where in the neighborhood it is a must storp for us. No matter where our final destination is as long as we fly into John Wayne we are there at B.F.F.C.
Hope you can visit them soon and experience some their great fish....BTW did I mention their prices are really good too.

1  Thank TOMARO
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Best swordfish burrito ever! You cannot miss eating here for lunch. There will be a line out the door sometimes, but it is so worth the wait!