“Very good, but needs more attention to detail”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Tamarind of London - CLOSED

Tamarind of London
Cuisines: Indian, American, Thai
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Crystal Heights Dr. & Pacific Coast Highway
Abington, Massachusetts
“Very good, but needs more attention to detail”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

My family and I ate at Tamarind of London here in Newport Beach in January when we were visiting colleges. We loved it! As we travel to London several times a year, we eat Indian frequently. Excited to return this visit, to repeat our first experience, we were a slightly disappointed. I say slightly because we will return because the food truly is delicious, and we discovered their happy hour - which is 30% off the total bill, food and drinks! A tremendous deal! However, a couple of things to point out, that I hope the restaurant pays attention too. First off, on their website, there are no hours listed as to when Happy Hour is. Second, they have listed on their online menu, all the items that are gluten free and dairy free. When we were looking at the menu it had the same symbols on the bottom of the menu, but NO "G" or "D" next to any of the menu options. So there was no way to tell what was safe to eat! The waiter than had to check with the chef. He came back and told us there were only 2 items on the menu I could not eat. That was not true - there were more, and because we know Indian Cuisine, we knew this. But for the person who doesn't - this is a severe negative for this restaurant. Food allergies are serious - and I did not have a "warm fuzzy" feeling that my food was going to be perfectly safe! The waiter than got our order wrong, and brought us 2 dishes we did not order, and the one we did order we did not get. They did not charge us for the 2 items that were incorrect, and they brought us a mango sorbet at the end complimentary. So the effort was made to take care of us. I pointed out to our server the menu problem - he agreed and said he would have it addressed. We dined on Tuesday the 19th, and we will return before we leave CA - and I will see if it is addressed, because to me , and to all those with food allergies - it is important! Also, not to be nit picky, your website says that if we buy $100.00 in gift cards, we get a $20 gift card. My husband went in earlier in the day to do that, and they said that promotion is no longer available. Then take it off your website! Those little things leave a bad taste in a customer's mouth, and truly, if we did not get the 30% off for the Happy Hour deal, I would not come back. But since that is such a great deal, we will give it another try in a few days and see if the changes have been made.

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Fabulous Indian Food at Tamarind of London in Newport Coast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Tamarind of London in Newport Coast in the Crystal Cove shopping center overlooking the pacific ocean is a great dinner venue. The food is innovative, tasty, and creative. You do not want to miss the sea bass. the flavors are light and scrumptious. The tikka masala is, as expected, amazingly good and flavorful. I ordered the medium level for spice. The garlic naan is to die for delicious. And, they have a stadium type kitchen with glass so you can watch food being prepared and cooked in the Tandoori ovens. Great service and they have a nice outside bar and patio to enjoy dinner by the fire and fountains. I have taken several guests there when they visit from out of town and all have rated it highly. It is fusion Indian food with innovation.

Californa
“BEST SINCE MAYFAIR IN LONDON”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2014

We had been looking for an Indian restaurant as good as the one we went to at Shepherds Market at Mayfair in London.

Tried at least 3 others, didn't like them at all, read about this one in the LA Times and decided to try it, the food was very very good, our waiter (Arturo) was the best! The area around it was beautiful, ocean across the street. A very impressive area and impressive food too.

We will be going back again even tho its a long drive to get there.
We sure recommend anyone wanting good Indian food to try it.

Newport Beach, California
“Bland food not Indian”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014

We went here for my wife's birthday. WE were in the mood for some classy Indian food. I have travelled to various places in India 5-7 times in my life and enjoyed the food. The atmosphere was rather dull with some Blue Bar music playing and lots of empty tables on a Saturday night. WE found out why. The menu had limited choices and it looked like someone was rather trying to offer California dishes with an Indian twist. The same fish, steak and chicken dressed up in fancy names. The food was not tasty and rather resembled cafetaria food.

1 Thank Globewalker13
“Do not trust the menu if you have Celiac Disease”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

We visited this place for the 3rd time typically we don't get appetizers but this night we were taking our time and were impressed by all the meals labeled with a G for Gluten free. However come to find out after my husband had his fork up to his mouth and the waiter came running out if the kitchen yelling at us to stop. The menu is extremely mislabeled. Our waiter was amazing we loved him but this place is not being smart about accommodating GF. For me if I ate it no big deal but my husband would have been horribly sick due to his celiac disease. Mislabeling your menu is really opening yourself up for a Lawsuite if someone's severely allergic. Hopefully they get that fixed soon before someone trusts the menu and becomes very I'll.

• Visited July 2014