“Enjoyed it but not as flavorful as hoped”
Review of Tamarind of London - CLOSED

Tamarind of London
Cuisines: American, Indian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Crystal Heights Dr. & Pacific Coast Highway
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Looking forward to robust, spicy flavor packed food like the Indian food we had in London. It was good but more on the delicate side. Small space was simply but nicely appointed. Crystal Cove is a nice plaza to visit right on PCH across from ocean. Service excellent. Liked the watermelon margarita! Potato cake was delish!

There are newer reviews for Tamarind of London

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The restaurant is very nice. High end restaurant. Located in the Crystal Cove Promenade. Nice area to walk around and buy a gourmet tasty cupcake for dessert. View of the Pacific Ocean right across the street from the parking area. The food presentation was excellent but was lacking in favor. High quality food but did not deliver the traditional indian favor. Very nice servers and manager.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

It is very rare event that I manage to have a meal in the restaurant as awful as this one. I was visiting friends of mine in Orange County. We decided to go to have a meal in nearby Javier’s. Unfortunately Javier’s was overrun by customers and waiting time was 1.5 hour. We decided to go to Tamarind of London, located just next to it.
Relative quietness with occasional rolling tumbleweeds inside Tamarind should have tipped us of. But no, we let hostess to sit us down at communal table and allowed this grandiose assault on our stomachs to take place.
I have ordered presumed chat, listed as chickpea salad. We almost started to laugh when discovered that it consists of canned chickpeas and rice crackers. I have suppressed an urge to go to kitchen and inquire if chef ever seen Indian food before and started to wait anxiously for tiger prawn dish (recommended by waiter). It has arrived very soon (almost immediately) and I found it to be a mix of overcooked shrimp with very bland tasting, but very spicy, watery souse. Interestingly my friend’s curry chicken had the same souse with no hint of curry in it. Eggplant side was probably the least flavorful eggplant I had in my life. It is difficult to remove flavor from eggplant, but if you want to see it done – please go to this restaurant. Defrosted nun was another masterpiece from kitchen of horror on our table.
I would like specifically comment on fascinating service provided to us by staff. I have asked the waiter which beer on the menu is a lager. He quickly reported to me that he is not familiar with beers or terminology, but will ask someone. After that he brought me a beer which came out to be a stout. The dishes were thrown on our table by runners with no interest on their part who ordered what. On my request to place dishes in appropriate order, I got incinerating stare and had to shut myself up.

In summary, this place is an embarrassment to Indian food, tamarind pods and city of London (although I suspect the latter two are not aware about affiliation).

2  Thank dostrovs
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Just about all the other Indian restaurants I’m used to have similar menus, presentation and ambiance. Tamarind of London is more upscale in each of those categories, and this makes for a nice dining experience. I’ll admit that the food might be characterized as “down-spiced” for the American palate, but it’s the best of its kind in Orange County.

I have been there several times, each time for a dinner date, and have never been disappointed with anything I’ve ordered, appetizer or entrée. Here are my notes:

(1) Tamarind is located in a very popular shopping center with popular restaurants. If you don’t valet park, you may have to walk a little bit from car to front door.
(2) I like to get dressed up a little, but casual attire works provided one gives the outfit some thought, if you know what I mean.
(3) The staff is awesome, and the hosts are super personable in helping with reservations and finding a good table.
(4) I prefer the booths to the right as you walk in the front door. These are slightly more quiet and thus more intimate (i.e., farther from the bar).
(5) Pretty good wine/drink list, with a nice selection of wines by-the-glass. The cocktail menu has “signature” drinks that I haven’t seen anywhere else.
(6) There are many excellent starter plates, ranging from salads to potato cakes to shellfish.
(6) Out of the half-dozen different kinds of naan, I like the butter version the best: simple pleasure. Plus, I find that the flair of the main dishes can be made more special by not-too-exotic bread.
(7) Tandoori kebabs are amazing. Salmon = my favorite. I also like the rice casserole (“biryani”).

Reviewed March 9, 2013

The bottom line from someone whos lived in Europe for many years, is that its bland at best,,,but what can you expect in So. Cal. The problem is is that it comes off as a fancy/high end restaurnt when you approach it - but its really a bar. Service is fair, I thought the place was noisey, and food again was very unauthentic and bland - The Indian Restaurant in Corona Del Mar (PCH), Mayur knocks the sox off this place, and they arent great. So, once every 10 years is fine, but no sooner. Very Dissapointing, and 3 stars is the great benefit of doubt.

2  Thank stugomer