“A Tartine to Cross the Street For”
Review of Le Pain Quotidien

Le Pain Quotidien
Ranked #88 of 512 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Cafe
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Le Pain Quotidien appears to be a chain on the East Coast of the US, in California, and in several other Countries. I've never been in one, but this morning I was at the site at Newport Beach's Fashion Island. The locale is definitely 'high-end" but I didn't find the prices here to be exorbitant. The coffee latte, served French style in a bowl, was good but not terribly strong or aromatic. However, we had the shrimp and avocado tartine as a brunch. It was superb! The presentation was elegant and the taste was well worth the visit. It would seem to be a wonderful place to get lunch as well. The atmosphere is friendly, welcoming, and very tastefully done. Service is fast and attentive.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

My favorite place in NYC for breakfast or lunch.

Food is always incredibly fresh and tasty (although can be pricey sometimes).

I came here for a quick lunch and definitely was glad I did - I had their shrimp salad with Mango. Staff/service was very friendly and helpful.

I love the fact they offer freshly baked bread with each meal, but just wish each table was given butter or olive oil to have with the bread. My salad was great, and the bread was tasty.

I'd definitely come back if I was in the area and hope to visit one in NYC soon!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

This was such a nice surprise. The tartines are open-face sandwiches topped with fresh and yummy combinations. I had the avocado, chickpea and spicy tahini, and there were so many others that sounded amazing. I wish this would open in Chicago - I would be there for lunch every day!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I reviewed this restaurant/bakery a year ago not long after it had opened. I gave it only a Poor rating at that time for various reasons. They were new at the time and possibly hadn't figured it out yet.This is intended to be an update to my original review since I cannot edit the original one.

On this second visit we ordered two Grilled Chicken Tartines (sandwiches) with smoked mozzarella and pesto and we added avocado. They were served open face and the portion size was fairly large. The price was $11.75 + $1.90 for the added avocado and, while a little expensive, they were very good and we'd order them again. We each had cappuccinos: I had the smaller single shot and my wife had the larger double shot. The waiter said they would be the same size except that the larger had two shots...they were not. My single shot size was overall smaller and in a smaller bowl (they are served in bowls). The larger double shot size for something like 35 cents more is the one to order. Many of the items on the menu and most of the coffee drinks are organic. I appreciate this and it appears that the company uses very good ingredients. The food is freshly and carefully prepared and presented. One exception: we asked for water. We did not ask for carbonated or bottled water assuming the water would be filtered...based on the other quality ingredients and attention to detail. It appeared to be standard chlorinated tap water. A small thing but a little surprising.

The place is decorated like an European bakery and this location, being on a corner with a lot of glass, made the experience very enjoyable. There are 151 Le Pain Quotidien locations in 26 countries. We will return and I recommend this restaurant/bakery.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

While shopping at Fashion Island We stopped for lunch at this Cafe for lunch. You can sit outside with heaters or inside. It is located next to Macys. We had the Cobb salad and the Warm Ricotta Tartino(open faced sandwich). The tartino was good but a little too much Ricotta for me which was easy to thin out. I added chicken and artichoke which was recommended by the waitress. It is also a bakery where you can buy bread,muffins etc. Everything was really good.