“Decent Food but Pricey!”
Review of Pizzeria Mozza

Pizzeria Mozza
Reserve with OpenTable
Pizzeria Mozza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #95 of 503 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Dover
Newport Beach, California
“Decent Food but Pricey!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Ate at Pizzeria Mozza for the first time last week. First of all $5 for valet is so expensive, even for Newport but there's nowhere else to park. We went there on a Wednesday night at 6:15 so thought we could walk in. The hostess was so rude-asked us if we had a reservation and I said no and she said we'd have to eat at bar if no reservation. The restaurant was empty so I said are there open tables and she said we save those for reservations and then I asked if they were all taken for reservations and she said no. When I asked if a table was available , she reluctantly said yes so I said ok then can we be seated. Not a good start. We sat at table for 15 minutes before being served. I started with a glass of pinot grigio which was good. The wines are good but expensive. We ordered meatballs, chopped salad and the margherita pizza. The food was ok but expensive too. $15 for chopped salad, $10 for meatballs and $16 for the pizza. The pizza wasn't that great-cheese slid off and crust super thin. My son ordered a sprite and it was $5 and no free refills because in a bottle. Our bill was $63 without tip and we only had 3 things and 2 drinks. This restaurant is overrated and would not eat here again. I usually have no problem with more pricey restaurants if the food is good. Here there was no value or good food for $$.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank carrie m

Carson, California
“An Afternoon Pie”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I decided to plan out a family bike ride; route, stops, and lunch. As I scanned Google Earth for food places near our halfway point, I noticed Pizzeria Mozza.

I’ve been meaning to try Pizzeria Mozza in Hollywood, so when I saw them in Newport, I had to suggest the stop.

Since we did not have reservations, we were seated in the small outdoor patio. The weather was good, so it wasn’t cold and uncomfortable. The tables inside were mostly reserved. It was nice to see the guys baking the pizzas in wood burning open oven.

We started with a Moretti, then ordered the food.

First pizza: Margherita – Mozzarella, Tomato and Basil.

Second pizza: Pizza alla Benno – Speck (Prosciutto), pineapple, jalapenos, mozzarella and Tomato.

Third pizza: Bacon, salame, fennel sausage, guanciale (Pig’s Jowl or cheeks), tomato and mozzarella.

Half chicken: 4hr roasted, with roasted potatoes and onions with spices and Truffle oil.

Though I’m a thicker crust type of guy, I did enjoy their pizza, but left the uneaten crust on the plate. I enjoyed the Margherita pizza the most as it was light, clean and tasty.

Our server was friendly and attentive. Even the hostess was friendly and she came by the check on us also, Wow! The bus boys were always around filling water glasses and clearing plates. Service here was outstanding.

• Visited January 2013
Toledo, Ohio
“OC pizza ........”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

So when I had to park my car with a valet parker at Mozza for $5.00 dollars, I knew I wasn't going to CPK ... I felt intimidated when the hostess asked me 5 questions on why I was eating, if I had reservations, etc, etc, etc... but she finally sat us. The menu is short and sweet. Pan pizza for $20 is intimidating but have the chopped salad and it makes for a great dinner. I love the breakfast pizza (egg, potatoes, cheese and bacon) ……. OMG … Need I say more

• Visited January 2013
Shelton, Connecticut
“Pizza! Pizza!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

The pizza (and everything else) is extraordinarily good at this offshoot of the original Pizzaria Mozza in LA that has been packing them in since 2007. Part of the Mario Batali restaurant empire (with partners Joseph Bastianich and Nancy Silverton), Pizzaria Mozza reflects the passion and talents behind it. Everything is delicious and perfectly executed. The atmosphere is warm and hospitable (but busy and noisy). Mangia!

• Visited December 2012
California
“Good, kids liked it, expensive”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We had reservations, arrived early and were seated right away. They were willing to make accommodations to the menu to suit finicky kid eaters. Kids loved the coloring pages and breadsticks. We've eaten at other Mozza's -without the kids - and always liked the food. Forgot how pricey 2 extra mouths can make the meal.

Visited November 2012