Carlton Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed May 21, 2010

It's hard for me to put my finger on why I had such a bad feeling about this place. Maybe it's just that Orange County is the creepiest place on earth. The hotel is nice enough--new and clean and self-consciously swanky. The kind of place where they subtly remind you all the time that you're supposed to be tipping them, and where they act surprised if you want to walk to a convenience store. Seriously, the nearest store is a gas station a mile away. There is nothing within walking distance except for a couple of restaurants and a ballroom dance studio. The bar at the hotel is a pretty nice place to hang out with colleagues. The buffet breakfast is good. The fitness room was under construction so I didn't get to use it, but the pool is large (although not a good shape for lap swimming!) and there's a hot tub. I asked for a late check-out and they gave it to me BUT they did not tell the maid, who came barging into my room while I was trying to get some sleep. I would not choose to stay here again, but the conference I was at paid for it. A lot of my complaints could probably be chalked up to my allergy to Orange County culture.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank flyermontana

Reviewed May 17, 2010

I stayed at the Radisson Last night and I experianced both good and bad. First I checked in about 3 and there appeared to be some sort of Lobby ambassador. It was clear he purposely overlooked me and instead of making eye contact or ackowledging me he looked past me and on to the people behind me. I gave him a chance by saying hello and he without making eye contact and as if he could care less said oh hello. I tried to ignore it but it did bother me. I checked in and I didnt get her name but the Guest Service Agent was very nice and prompt. Addressed me right away and seemed very nice. I received my welcome call which sounded nice but scripted. I still appreciated it. I noticed I had Down pillows which I am allergic to so I called down to housekeeping. They were very nice and borught up new pillows witin 7 minutes. I left for the to take my Best Friend out for a nice steak dinner. We returned about 10pm. I saw an employee when we came back with Black hair a bigger guy with a black cintas type of uniform I assume either catering or F&B. I tried to make eye contact and clearly said Hello how is it going loud enough for him to hear. He was within a couple feet from me and by his body language it was clear I was bothering him. He did not say a word to me. This really made me upset. Having been in the hospitality industry for 13 years I think this is totally unexeptable. There was no warmth and no friendliness felt by 2 employees at this hotel. Not cool. Finally before I went to bed I realized I was slightly cold so I called down and asked for a blanket. They were very nice on the phone. I waited two hours for the blanket before I finally fell asleep and I no one never showed up. The room it self was nice enough. What you would expect from a hotel Airport. I did have breakfast. It was busy and I did after getting my check have to wait 15 minutes before anyone would take my credit card and had to finally get up and find someone. The front desk staff was very nice at check in and check out but they cant do it all. The rest of the staff really ruined this experiance for me. A simple ackowledgment or even a smile and a had nod would have sufficed. Overall not the worst experiance but I really think this hotel needs to work on training their staff on customer service or have the front desk staff train the rest of the property.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2010

great customer service, quick shuttle & good food !

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 20, 2010

I celebrated my 50th Birthday last January at this hotel. Linda Wade the Catering Manager assisted me in planning my event. She's wonderful she was very professional, & the same time very accomodating to me &my husband. She customized our event according to our budget. All our guest was raving about the food, dance floor, bar. I had a very memorable birthday. Thanks to Linda & everyone at the Radisson.
Now we are planning my girlfriends Bridal Shower. Soooo... great Linda is handling all since I have a very busy schedule.

• Stayed: January 2010
Reviewed March 17, 2010

I rarely post a "rave" review because there is generally something on the negative side to make the review more even tempered. But I just can't help wishing that I was back at the Radisson Newport Beach right now, lying in that super comfortable bed and being taken care of by their wonderful staff.

My wife and I stayed there two nights in early March when we added on two personal days to a business trip. (The hotel we ended up in for the business part of the trip was terrible). We were both surprised by the clean elegance of the lobby and the open atrium design. I guess we hadn't stayed in a Radisson for a long time, and unlike names like Marriott and Hilton, you just don't know what you are getting with a Radisson. But, in this case, we were pleasantly surprised.

The room was functional, very well laid out, and with a big desk to get my work done. (I could have used another electrical outlet or two). The showers were hot, plenty of water pressure, and very comfortable towels and linens in this room. In fact, the bed was so comfortable, and the linens so nice, that we overslept one morning. It was a real pleasure to get two great nights of sleep when you travel as much as we do.

The hotel management was very courteous and helpful. Mr. Leytes, General Manager, solved a problem we had in grand style. I'd stay in this hotel ANY TIME, and would give it my highest rating.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 15, 2010

We stayed two nights at this hotel during March 2010. This hotel is well decorated, clean and comfortable. The staff are very helpful and friendly. This hotel looks spectacular at night with all the lighting and decoration. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2010

Our symposium comes back year after year because we are treated with respect and genuine care. Working together with the hotel team makes it a smooth experience for everyone involved. special kudos go to Susan Enright, Linda Wade, Corrine, Juan Martinez, Francisco Gomez, 'Hermie" and Edward at the front desk. Although the food is always tastey, the Chef outdid himself this year. Our colleagues aregue about what's 'best' at the radisson- we can't decide if it's the Radisson staff- the food- or the clean bathrooms! Let's call it a three-way tie! Kudos to you all!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business