“Great value”

Carlton Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed July 23, 2014

No parking fee! Can I say it again?! No parking fee! So unusual when staying at a hotel like this one not to have a parking fee added to your bill!

Décor, similar to an Embassy Suites with rooms open to a center atrium. Rooms are clean and the bed is sooooo comfy.

Front desk friendly and helpful and very willing to give recommendations to surrounding area.

Lounge was restful and Nani the bartender provided great service

Portions were large for room service although a few missing ingredients were missing...no pepper, no sugar and creamer for coffee, one jam packet for bread, half syrup container for pancakes.

Housekeeping did an excellent job of cleaning our room and replacing our left out bathroom items on a towel, lined up in a precise manner.

This would be a great hotel for business, however we were on a couples retreat and enjoyed ourselves.

Location. Only downfall in my eyes. This location is closer to Irvine than Newport. Located right between UCI and John Wayne Airport. Great location for the airline crews...and you never hear a plane.

No complaints

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GobClan

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I booked this hotel because it was centrally located to the Newport Beach marina and Disneyland. The location was a benefit but the room itself could have been better for the price. We stayed here 4 nights. The bathroom was tiny. There was no way that 2 people could be in there at the same time. The overall size of the room was small. The desk chair was too big to fit under the desk and stuck out to where you couldn't get past it to get to the door to the balcony. I also assumed that this hotel would have breakfast included in the price but we found out that we could eat at the in house restaurant but the prices were expensive. Instead, we ate at the IHOP just down the street.
The one shining moment for me was that I forgot my computer charger cable, HDMI cable, and hot spot in the desk drawer of our room. A day later when I realized that I had left them at this hotel, I called the hotel and they promptly called me back and told me that they would FedEx my possessions to me. I received them a week later at my house.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mrspinney
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed here 2 nights, rented a beach house and came into town a few days before the week rental began at the house. The staff here is friendly, very helpful & responsive. Our room was comfortable & clean. Internet worked very well - always have to work when we are away for a few hours a day, having good internet access is important. Convenient to shopping, dining and 15 min. drive to the beach. Enjoyed a little quiet time by the pool.All rooms have a balcony which is nice. Parking was never a problem. It wasn't crowded and didn't feel like we were in a constant traffic jamb. Shopped at South Coast Plaza, that was fun. Hooked up with family at the oceanfront beach house after our few day stay here. Enjoyed the quiet. This is our new go to place.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms near front - are not viewing the roof.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mstryis
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Very clean, fresh looking hotel and room. The location was great surrounded by enough food options and close to OC beaches. The room was quiet and bed was very comfortable. The parking was plenty and wifi worked well. We will be definitely back!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank penndesi
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the Radisson Newport Beach for 8 nights as I was in town for a wedding.

Overall our stay was very comfortable. We stayed on level 4, in the main tower (the one where checkin is). We were facing John Wayne airport, but heard no plane noise at all... And we are very light sleepers.

Cleanliness was great and the facilities were fantastic (especially gym and pool).

Housekeeping was very efficient. I loved that there was a tea and coffee maker in the room, as well as a mini fridge for our own personal use. (There was nothing for sale in the fridge, it was empty for the hotel go-er to use. Such a rarity these days which made or stay extra comfortable by being able to have some snacks and drinks in our room).

Also the beds and pillows were soooooo comfortable (we had a queen bed).

You will not be disappointed if you choose to stay here. Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Melanie S
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We had a fantastic experience here overall. The employees made our experience what it was. From the front desk, to the friendly guys who brought our rollaway bed, to the gracious gift shop clerk - one of our party forgot their swimsuit and she let them take 4 swimsuits up to the room to try on. The pool was very nice and large enough. It would be nice if they had an additional hot tub as the one they have is usually pretty busy from 8-9 pm. The room was nicely appointed and the bed was comfortable. One minor gripe was that although they had HDTVs, they didn't have HD signal coming to the TVs. The location - as others have mentioned it has a Newport Beach address but it will take you a good 15 minutes to get to the beach. We were facing the airport - noise wasn't too bad from the planes, but the bad part was the nightclub right across the street. I know the hotel can't do much about that - but I nearly called the police to see what could be done about the club noise. If we stay here again we will make sure to get a room on the opposite side of the club. We didn't hear any noise from neighboring rooms - we had a screaming baby in our room for a good portion of the night one of the nights but apparently no one was too bothered by it.

Room Tip: face away from airport and club!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank yosemite_salmon
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Found this place and booked through Priceline at a very good rate. The staff were first class and always helpful with a smile. The pool is stunning and a great place to spend an afternoon. Drinks and food can be ordered via a phone. We upgraded to club rooms and they were nice. Sleep was long and peaceful. The club lounge was ok if a little basic but all in all a nice place to stay on our way back to LA from San Diego.

Room Tip: Get a club room
Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family