“Decent experience ”

Carlton Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

First of all, I would like to say that the staff was impeccable and very accommodating. Rooms were basic, not too impressive, and needing upgrades, but they were clean. Had some issues with finicky hot/cold water controls, but nothing that was a deal breaker. Surprisingly quiet for being right next to the airport. Can't say enough again about the staff.

Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Jxs987

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My most recent experience with this hotel was a very enjoyable one. The hotel's exterior was well maintained. The location is very convenient to restaurants, airport ,beaches, business areas ,freeways. The room was comfortable and very clean. The staff was very friendly and pleasant. The rate was reasonable. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 24, 2013

The room was a bit small and there was some noise from the Airport (that does not have overnight flights so it did not impact sleep quality). The bathroom was nicely appointed if small. There were numerous places to eat in the area of a wide variety within easy walking distance. The pool was lovely especially given that the music was at a reasonable level (not too comon these days it seems), very relaxing and lovely. Staff was friendly and helpful if a bit over attentive. The bar was nice and the staff very accommodating (given that we asked to watch the hockey game and they put it on for us without any fuss at all) though the drink knowledge appears to be a little lacking. eg: I ordered an Irish Coffee and had to give him the ingredients, even at that I received a hurricane glass with an iced version of the drink. Strange but tasty so I didn't complain. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Da-Raz
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I made an unplanned visit to Newport Beach, CA in early October 2013. I came to the Radisson without a reservation, but they were able and happy to offer me a room. I found the room to be extremely clean and comfortable, the staff to be friendly and helpful, and the restaurant to be of the highest quality. Though there are services available to the guests, I chose to do some laundry on the second floor (the laundry facilities for guests), and while I was waiting, I was able to sit at the end of the hallway, out of anyone's notice. There, I spoke with maintenance men working on one of the end rooms, and they were so pleasant and friendly and funny. But, what really impressed me with this hotel is that I became ill while I was staying there. The staff took me under their wing, as if I were their chick and they were the mother hen. They came with things to help, free of charge, they called to make sure I was doing well and if there was anything I needed, they even knew me by name when they saw me. I can't tell you how special that was to me. So many people come through there, especially being such a grand hotel so close to the airport, yet they knew me and treated me in such a special way. I want to praise EVERYTHING about this hotel, and I have let my own personal friends know of their excellence. I will make many more trips to Newport Beach, and there won't be even a question of going somewhere else. It's only the Radisson for me!! My thanks to all of them!

Room Tip: I was on the side of the hotel facing away from the airport, but the hotel is so nearly soundproof t...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Nancy H
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed at Radisson in August. We are gold member, so we have free breakfast. My dad and mom really liked their breakfast because they have hot items. Great selection of fruits too. We are entitled to late check-out as gold member. However, we had to check out later than 2:00 pm, and Radisson was able to extend our late check-out to 2:30pm. We are very thankful for their customer service.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kiet V
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had just traveled from Minnesota to Newport Beach, a 36 hour drive, and were exhausted when we checked in. Leandro the Front Office Manager made us feel right at home with a upgrade to a king room on the top floor with a great view and access to the top floor lounge. The room was great, clean and spacious with a balcony. The outdoor pool was awesome and we spent as much time as we could by the pool. You can even order lunch or dinner from the pool and eat poolside. The hotel is convenient to the airport and everything else in the Newport Beach area. We had a room facing the airport and thought it was fine. Enjoyed watching the planes take off and land and the noise from the planes was not noticeable or loud. With the Balcony door shut you could not hear the planes at all. Great hotel and will be staying here again when in the area.

Room Tip: Top two floors have access to complimentary lounge on top floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Ask for a room that does NOT face Orange County airport, otherwise the planes will wake you up at 7 am. When I asked for another room they upgraded me to a business room. Rooms are smallish, airport energy. mediocre breakfast buffet, reasonably priced. Very slow internet, could not upload medium file despite repeated tries.

Room Tip: Aks for room facing AWAY from the airport
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business