“Pleasantly surprised!!! :-O ---> :D”

Carlton Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed June 6, 2013

When I booked this hotel, my intentions were to be close to the OC airport (a block away) and to have a clean place to stay (without 4-star hotel price...Fairmont, Hilton, etc...). The hotel shuttle service came approximately 10-15 min after I called from the curb. The doorman and front desk personnels were extremely friendly, helpful, and professional...no pimply, young punks here. The ambiance of the hotel lobby was grand, paved with travertine and filled with silk orchids. I instantly noticed how CLEAN the hotel was...nothing like a regular 3-star hotel. Though they offered to help me with my luggages, I hauled all 3 pieces of my luggage up to the 10th floor...thank God for wheels on modern luggage. My room was not only super clean, but it felt like I'm in a 4-star hotel!! I immediately went into the bathroom to check the cleanliness of the grout between tiles on the floor and in the shower; to my surprise, it was super clean everywhere...no water spots nor short and curly hair here! The towels and wash cloths were fresh and thick, unlike other hotels. The hotel is conveniently located next to a Staples (where I made last minute copies of my handouts for my presentation), Jamba Juice, Quiznos, Fuji Grill, etc.. Housekeeping did a fantastic job cleaning my room and performing turn down service (got an oatmeal cookie on the first night, a chocolate mint, on second night, etc.). The hotel has an impressive breakfast buffet (for a VERY reasonable fee) with a wide selection--smoked meats, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, pancakes, fresh squeezed juice, milk, fresh fruit selection, coffee, AND friendly servers! They also have a great bar and excellent in house restaurant. The pool is clean and family friendly with pool side service. By and large, this Radisson far exceeded my expectations and needs. I have stayed here for both business (on weekdays) and pleasure (on weekends with family). I highly recommend this place for the convenience, price, and service.

Room Tip: Try to upgraded to club level in order to get all the extra perks!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 1SeasonedTraveler

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stay here quite often on business, so if you're reading this review for a holiday or vacation, perhaps go to the next review.

The hotel is clean and functional however the rooms are looking a little dates and the bathrooms are old and could do with updating - but this is merely cosmetic, they are spotlessly clean.

The free wifi throughout the hotel is adequate, not too fast and not the most reliable of connections if you're in a room near the extremities of the building, but it is free.

There is some airport noise from nearby John Wayne airport, but there is nothing the hotel can do about this. The flights start at 7am prompt so if you want a lie in, you may be disturbed.

Breakfast at Tiffany's (sorry I couldn't resist) is good and the food is fresh and the service good. For a buffet breakfast, the price is usual hotel price - expensive.

The bar is a little dark but again is clean and tidy.

I used the pool once and again it was clean and tidy and probably the most pleasant part of the hotel. However being on business it was only on the rare downtime I got to experience this.

Room Tip: A room facing MacArthur Blvd is best as it is away from the side that faces the local airport.
Reviewed May 31, 2013

After reading the reviews, I was skeptical booking the hotel, but did for various reasons, and was pleasantly surprised. Quick and friendly check in. Comfortable beds. Very clean. The decor is average, but it works. Maybe a change of management or ownership has taken place. The only downside is the internet, it comes in two flavors. Very slow and slow. The very slow speed is free, and the slow speed cost $20/day. Feels like they try to nickel and dime you.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Folks, this is just a great option for the newport beach/laguna/costa mesa area! Incredibly clean; this is obviously a major focus of the place. Prices are fantastic and it is in a quieter more industrial/hotel area (not on the beach, but away from the crowds, too), so actually MORE relaxing than being by the water in some ways. Easy access to great restaurants, especially if you like Japanese food since there are many great places in Costa Mesa. Nice, clean pool with food service at the pool (did not get to try the food). Very friendly staff! Close to Fashion Island for shopping, relatively close to Newport/Balboa Island beach areas as well as Laguna. Rooms are somewhat dated (especially the bathroom), but most importantly, they have great beds and the room is CLEAN! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from "Ten nightclub."
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson this past weekend to attend a seminar. The hotel has its pros and cons. Pros: 1)very close to the airport (1mile aprox.); 2)free parking, 3)free wifi but it was super slow; 4)excellent customer service at the restaurant. We had breakfast the two days we stayed in the hotel and the personnel was super friendly and attentive. 5)The front desk representatives were friendly and one of them was specially accomodating when I request a sleep number bed. The cons: 1) I chose this hotel because I have back problems and they were advertising the sleep number beds and because I read the reviews but when we got our room, it did not have this type of bed. I asked the Front desk and she told me that 70% of the rooms have the sleep number beds, and you have to request it at the front desk upon check in. When I read their website, I had the impression that all their rooms were equipped with the same kind of beds and the person who did the check in did not ask us. The girl offered to move us to another room that has the sleep number beds but when I went to check the room, I noticed that it didn't have a central A/C but a big A/C unit very close to the bed. I did not expect a hotel like the Radisson to have A/C units instead of central A/C. It made a lot of noise so we had to decline the offer. She advised to come back later in the day to see if there was any availability. We got back to the hotel late, so we just decided to keep our room. 2) the hotel is very outdated and old. The room had a very outdated decoration. The bathroom is very small. Overall, it is just an average hotel with a decent rate. It's good if you are planning to go on business or stay out most of the time.

Room Tip: The hotel has two towers. If you are interested in the sleep number bed, you have to ask for it. Als...
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here right after Valentine's Day for a romantic getaway with my boyfriend and it was just average, nothing special. They don't have a specific look and feel, the lobby furniture looks a bit modern but as you walk around you notice a lot of palm trees and island like decor which does not make sense. Average rooms and service, you get what you pay for I guess.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was receiving an award to be inducted into the Martial Arts Hall of Fame. The event was held here, so it was convenient to stay in the same place. Most of the other attendees stayed here also. Newport Beach is a quiet, clean town. The staff was helpful in giving me directions as to where to find a CVS Pharmacy. The staff was very friendly. The rooms were nice, and very clean. The pool area was beautiful, surrounded by lots and lots of flowers. I enjoyed my stay here.