“Cleanest hotel I've ever seen!”

Carlton Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Folks, this is just a great option for the newport beach/laguna/costa mesa area! Incredibly clean; this is obviously a major focus of the place. Prices are fantastic and it is in a quieter more industrial/hotel area (not on the beach, but away from the crowds, too), so actually MORE relaxing than being by the water in some ways. Easy access to great restaurants, especially if you like Japanese food since there are many great places in Costa Mesa. Nice, clean pool with food service at the pool (did not get to try the food). Very friendly staff! Close to Fashion Island for shopping, relatively close to Newport/Balboa Island beach areas as well as Laguna. Rooms are somewhat dated (especially the bathroom), but most importantly, they have great beds and the room is CLEAN! We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from "Ten nightclub."
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson this past weekend to attend a seminar. The hotel has its pros and cons. Pros: 1)very close to the airport (1mile aprox.); 2)free parking, 3)free wifi but it was super slow; 4)excellent customer service at the restaurant. We had breakfast the two days we stayed in the hotel and the personnel was super friendly and attentive. 5)The front desk representatives were friendly and one of them was specially accomodating when I request a sleep number bed. The cons: 1) I chose this hotel because I have back problems and they were advertising the sleep number beds and because I read the reviews but when we got our room, it did not have this type of bed. I asked the Front desk and she told me that 70% of the rooms have the sleep number beds, and you have to request it at the front desk upon check in. When I read their website, I had the impression that all their rooms were equipped with the same kind of beds and the person who did the check in did not ask us. The girl offered to move us to another room that has the sleep number beds but when I went to check the room, I noticed that it didn't have a central A/C but a big A/C unit very close to the bed. I did not expect a hotel like the Radisson to have A/C units instead of central A/C. It made a lot of noise so we had to decline the offer. She advised to come back later in the day to see if there was any availability. We got back to the hotel late, so we just decided to keep our room. 2) the hotel is very outdated and old. The room had a very outdated decoration. The bathroom is very small. Overall, it is just an average hotel with a decent rate. It's good if you are planning to go on business or stay out most of the time.

Room Tip: The hotel has two towers. If you are interested in the sleep number bed, you have to ask for it. Als...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here right after Valentine's Day for a romantic getaway with my boyfriend and it was just average, nothing special. They don't have a specific look and feel, the lobby furniture looks a bit modern but as you walk around you notice a lot of palm trees and island like decor which does not make sense. Average rooms and service, you get what you pay for I guess.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was receiving an award to be inducted into the Martial Arts Hall of Fame. The event was held here, so it was convenient to stay in the same place. Most of the other attendees stayed here also. Newport Beach is a quiet, clean town. The staff was helpful in giving me directions as to where to find a CVS Pharmacy. The staff was very friendly. The rooms were nice, and very clean. The pool area was beautiful, surrounded by lots and lots of flowers. I enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 25, 2013

So, you're going to Newport Beach? For this price, this is a great hotel. I stayed there last weekend for two nights. It was an all amenities sort of hotel, but still retained a boutique feel in the rooms despite being large. The service staff was immaculate. Great selection for room service, incidentally, at least if you're a Californian like myself. I found the room service NOT too overpriced and quite scrumptious, although breakfast was pretty standard fare but still, delicious. The bed was outrageously comfortable. The price was right. The hotel was quiet at night. The shuttle runs to and fro from John Wayne airport, and taxis cost just $7 each way. Again, this was a low-price. Where I live, a hotel like this would easily be a lot more.

Would I go back? Certainly. Great bar, great food -- very California fusion -- ease of transport to the beach and also to UC Irvine, where I was headed. Plus, in the future, good to know it's not far from Disneyland, where we sojourn yearly. I didn't have a chance to check out the beach but my partner did and said it was lovely. I liked the bar and interior for a quiet night after seeing friends.

Free shuttle cannot be beat! Likewise, we had vouchers (not sure if it's always free) for a very nice continental breakfast that was a cut above.

Wish I'd had a chance for swimming but it was too cold.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Aqusite
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I recently spent 4 nights at the Newport Beach Radisson. This is the first time I stayed at this hotel. I normally stay at another 3 star hotel in the area when I travel in for business, about 3-4 times a year. As others have mentioned, the hotel rooms are seriously dated. I'm certain they will need to do a major upgrade to stay competitive. They are however, very clean. No issues there. The staff is also very nice. I checked in after 10 on a Friday night to a standard king room. It was...okay. It was clean but the pillows on the bed were lumpy. Yuck. Not long after checking in and showering and unpacking, I realized there was extremely loud, bass-heavy music coming from outside. I could hear it over my sound app on my phone and over the A/C. Turns out my room faced a night club. Not good. I called down and asked if I could switch rooms. They were very accommodating and switched me to a business class king room which was much nicer than my previous room. The pillows were down-filled, the bathroom had more amenities including a makeup mirror--always a nice feature--and it was QUIET! Yay! I did have the not-so-great view of Staples and the dumpsters that others have mentioned but a quiet room was more important to me than a view. I was in town to work all weekend and I was only in my room to sleep and shower. All in all, it was fine but there are so many better choices available in the John Wayne Airport area for a comparable price. I would not stay at the Radisson in Newport Beach again unless they did some updating.

Room Tip: If you are staying on a Friday or Saturday night, ask for a room that does not face the nightclub ac...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2013

April 20, 2013.
Water drainage was so bad in the tub and sink.
I took 10 minutes of shower, the water built up to half foot.
I had to stand in half foot deep of water to finish my shower.
The sound insulation is poor. You can hear noise from the street and next rooms easily.
The night club across the street had party till 2am midnight Friday night when I stayed.
The noise can still be heard loudly in the room even with window fully closed.
Hotel did offer to change room to the other side of building after I complained.
Unluckily, the next door of the changed room had a group of about 8 youngsters party drinking alcohol in the room with loud music 1am in midnight.
The hotel could have done better to fix all these problems.
It's not worth the money. I have stayed in many hotels in the past 20 years. This is the worst hotel I experienced at this rate about $100 per night.
The beds are good but that can't complement the bad.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from street. Check water drainage (and everything) the first thing you get in...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brian T
Robert L, General Manager at Carlton Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with our Radisson Newport Beach Hotel during your recent visit.

Additionally, thank you for taking the time to communicate your brief experiences during your recent stay.

We are very appreciative of your candid comments regarding your recent stay, which included slow drainage concerns, along with sound disturbance of our neighbor, both across the street, and just adjacent to your room.

Please know that we have directed our engineering team to address the drainage issue, and it has since been favorably addressed, ensuring it will not reoccur. Though we cannot control outside noise issues, we have addressed this isolated incident.

We are committed to our on-going quality service and product delivery, as well as quality environment, and as you could see by our numerous positive comments from prior guests of our hotel, we take the quality of service and product delivery, quite serious.

Again, I apologize for these concerns and for any inconvenience these issues may have caused to you and your guest.

Thank you again, for choosing to stay at our Radisson Newport Beach, and in appreciation for your sharing your comments and concerns, upon your next confirmed reservation, we will ensure you are upgraded to our Club Lounge Level, where you will receive a complimentary continental breakfast, and evening turndown services.

We are hopeful to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you to Newport Beach, California.
Respectfully,