“Pleasantly Surprised: Chain Hotel that Didn't Feel Like One”

Radisson Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
San Francisco, California
“Pleasantly Surprised: Chain Hotel that Didn't Feel Like One”
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Usually I stay at small boutique hotels or B&Bs to avoid that mid-price chain hotel drabness and lower perceived value for price. This time the rate at the Radisson Newport Beach was too good to pass up. My mind was re-calibrating my expectations, so I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed my stay and give the hotel a "thumbs-up". The hotel is at Macarthur and Birch, just minutes from the airport one block over. There are 2 sections to the hotel, the main low-rise where my room was, and a tower. The main is set up atrium-style with rooms around a square oval. It reminded me of an Embassy Suite and I expected a din from the hotel's lobby opening below. My room was at the corner of the square O, and even being a few doors down from the fitness center it was a quiet stay. The bed was comfy, clean and nicely furnished, but room information and the 'do not disturb" card was missing.There staff was very friendly and acknowledging each time I wandered around and during my stay I probably drank a gallon of the refreshing ice-cold water filled with orange, lemon and lime slices set up at the reception desk. There's a reasonably priced lobby cafe with a limited menu, gift shop, pool, free parking and across the streets are several eateries to walk to:Japanese, Mexican etc, and with "wheels" close to all the great spots the town offers.
Orange County airport shuts down from 10pm to 7am, yet when private airplanes took off there was very little noise. Will I consider returning? Yes. I will specify the main building though--the tower probably wouldn't be the same comfort.

Room Tip: Corner room in main low rise building.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed January 15, 2012

This was a first stay in this hotel and it was in many ways better than expected. The room was very clean, but the furnishings are on the old side. The TV is a new one, however, and offers many cable choices. We didn't hear the planes from the nearby airport. We stayed in for dinner because the fog had rolled in and we weren't eager to be out there sharing the road. Tiffany's turned out to be quite a pleasant place. The food was very good and the service was attentive. The menu choices were very good and the prices were reasonable, particularly for this area. One plus, they don't charge for parking. They do charge for using the internet on their computers, but it isn't outrageous.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 11, 2012

This is a generic airport hotel next to the John Wayne airport in Orange County.

It's clean enough that I would be happy to have my kids stay here, but it leaves a lot to be desired on the business travel front.

Everything closes fairly early and the surrounding area is a wasteland of activity. The hotel also have this giant, black change machine attached to the "business" computer so that you have to pay them in order to print out, say, a one page boarding pass. I think it's bizarre that they spend a ton of money on marketing, and then they instantly kill any good will with this kind of nickel and dime crap.

Here's a pro-tip: Before you start bombarding me with Club Carlson offers and tales of how much you love me and value me, consider letting me print out one page of paper for free.

All modern hotels should have this: free parking, free wifi, and free basic computer services. They should also have at least one food option nearby or in the hotel that is open later than my kids' bed time.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joe M
Vegas
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I have stayed here a few times with my husband and 3 year old. The hotel is clean, comfortable and in a nice location. It's near the airport. I didnt have any issues with air traffic noise. There is a night club across the street. I did hear a little music the first time I stayed. It was tolerable. I never heard music on the following stays..
The rooms have small balconies. It's nice to open the door and let in fresh air. The pool area and lobby are nice. There is a small gift shop, restaurant/bar area also. It's only a 10-15 minute ride to Fashion Island and Balboa Island. I will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Just leaving the Radisson after a one night stay in an old rather rundown room. It had a cramped bathroom where the toilet and bathtub are wedged in together in to a 5" by 5" room where the door inwards adding to the claustrophobia of the situation. Roadnoise is readily apparent through the windows. Bizarre art deco lamps barely add enough light to read and an ancient tube TV plays 15-20 basic channels. Staff in the front desk, especially the doormen are completely nonchalant not even returning a smile or a good morning. It is clearly a place where people aren't happy. I am extremely disappointed that a premium brand like Radisson would't make a bigger effort to induce guests to feel welcome. They should be ashamed of themselves for what they charge per night.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Alex B
Reviewed December 10, 2011

Stayed here on business a couple of weeks ago (just before Thanksgiving). Have stayed here many times each Oct/Nov and again Jan/Feb. 1st review.

Checkin: I'm a Club Carlson Gold Member - check in took 2 minutes - got the room I requested (king bed - all rooms are non-smoke). They also recognised my status and there was a nice treat (1/2 of a local Merlot, btl water, berries, cheese and crackers) awaiting me in the room.

Room: Since last time I was here they've replaced the tired old tube with flat screen HDTVs - don't know if this is throughout or just some of the rooms. Other than that, room was the same - clean, bed firm (no Sleep# - didn't pay extra for that), bath clean, small but functional.

Gym: Since last time I was here the gym has been revised - newer machines with personal TVs, weights, definitely a step up.

Restaurant/Bar: Others have said it, and I agree: the restaurant charges are a tad higher than I would like for breakfast. That said the breakfast buffet is a nice treat and had it once during my 3 day stay - other than price, not much to complain about. The bar is a gem. The main reason I stay here is the bar. It's the ONLY hotel bar I've found open past 10 and the ONLY one in the area serving food until 10. In fact, I've stayed often enough that if my arriving flight is late, and I call the bartender to say, I'll be getting there at 10:15, could you pls put a food order in, the bartender WILL. And it's nice knowing you can get a nightcap after an evening out with your client to settle down before retiring.

Miscellaneous: Many of the hotels near JWA CHARGE $10/day for WiFi and over $20/day for SELF-parking. Not the Radisson. That's reason #2 and 3 I've been staying here when in the O.C. Lastly, many great restaurants of all cuisines within a short drive from this hotel.

Conclusion: A good full-service good value hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank regman2all
Lyme, NH
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Pluses: Very nice staff, convenient to airport, decent rooms, good restaurant, comfy bed, fitness center nice and not too busy.

Minuses: Airport noise (check the flight curfew hours at SNA), wifi didn’t work well until I phoned tech support, restaurant is expensive.

Also:
- Nearby Il Barone restaurant was amazing (but not cheap).
- They put up nice signs saying “Hang up your towels and we won’t waste water by washing them”… and then washed ALL my towels EVERY day. Sigh…

Room Tip: If you’re a light sleeper, make sure you ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business