“Beautiful views”

Pelican Hill Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: One of the nation's premier golf clubs, Pelican Hill Golf Club(R) boasts 36 holes designed by Tom Fazio with stunning ocean panoramas from every hole, a luxurious 44,000-square-foot clubhouse with separate men's and women's locker rooms and lounges with a full array of appointments and amenities, the acclaimed Pelican Grill and lounge, Caffe II Italian coffee bar, a golf shop offering the latest golf fashions and accessories, and an intelligently designed, full-service practice facility. Conveniently located right outside the clubhouse door, the practice facility features an expansive driving range, practice greens and tour-event Nike Platinum One balls waiting for guests when they arrive. The two 18-hole courses, Ocean North and Ocean South, are both ranked among Golf Digest's America's 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses. A preeminent institution of golf instruction in California, Pelican Hill Golf Academy offers dedicated teaching facilities, including two greens, bunkers and driving tees. The Director of Instruction, Glenn Deck, is one of Golf Magazine's Top 100 Teachers in America and one of Golf Tips magazine's Top 25 U.S. Instructors. He offers monthly golf schools, special guest instructor programs, private lessons and a seasonal Junior Golfers' Academy.
Yorba Linda, California
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Beautiful views”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

For those of you that like a challenging golf course with views at every turn, this is the place for you. It is all you would expect and more from an upscale expensive golf experience in Orange County. Bring your best golf shirt, your humility and your camera and enjoy a wonderful day at Pelican Hill.

Visited November 2012

Trabuco Canyon, California
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A must play in OC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

The views are breathtaking. The course is challenging and fun. I recommend this for all avid golfers! The club house is a great place for lunch after with unbelieveable views. A perfect day!

Visited March 2012
Lake Oswego, Oregon, United States
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Good, though Very Expensive, Golf”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Two good Fazio courses in a great setting with lots of beautiful views of the Pacific. The conditioning was good, but not great, when we played played the "Ocean-South" course, but we really enjoyed it.

The cost was higher than expected, because we did not know until we had paid our greens fees that a forecaddie was required. He explained that, though our greens fee included an amount for his services, he only received $10 of it. Thus, we felt pretty well obligated to provide a $100+ tip for the two of us.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Philip R
Olathe, Kansas, United States
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great Day of Golf”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Had the chance to play Pelican Hill during a business trip. We played a scramble so the experience was a little different than most play your own rounds. Chris, our caddie made the day great, very helpful and didn't laugh once.

The course was in excellent shape, and the greens were a lot of fun. Views of the ocean were beautiful, and fortunately I had my camera along to record some of the holes that I will share. The greens are very challenging to read, but very true. The staff seemed to be very attentive even with our large group swarming on them. The driving range was OK it had mats to hit from, but at least they were higher end mats, and the bottom of my clubs were not green after a couple of shots. If I would have had to pay to play, I might not have with the rates over 200 during the off season, but I am glad that I had the opportunity.

Visited February 2013
Laguna Beach
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Lots better places for my money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

We played Pelican Hill north course--the south was "closed for maintenance". On arrival, I was met by a not overly friendly valet who took the clubs and directed me to the clubhouse. No welcome from the valet.

At the check in desk there was confusion as to whether we had a reservation, but ultimately they found that we did. Still no welcome.

Clubs waiting on carts near a closed putting green (there are 2) and a driving range with mats.

We met our (unexpected) forecaddy. Still no strong welcome--just introductions.

Our caddy did what they do, but bad putt reading (by him) cost me 4 to 6 strokes. [yes, I know the putter was in my hands. I only took his advice for 11 holes. Dumb me--I thought his reads might be better than mine.]

I would not use a caddy--or at least this one--on this course again. BTW, the minimum tip for these caddies is $20 per person. Yes, they are entitled to a living wage. But they should give value.

Pace of play was slow, and marshals did nothing to speed it up. A disappointment.

The course is in decent but not superb shape. Greens are inconsistent--some fast, others much slower.

You can play between 2 and 9 rounds at other courses in as good a shape with friendlier staff for what you pay here. What this course has going for it is snob appeal.

We can afford to play this course. We just won't again. Not for our group, thanks.

PelicanHillResort, General Manager at Pelican Hill Golf Club, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent visit. I appreciate your comments about the Golf Club and sincerely regret that your experience fell short of your expectations and our goals.

As the #1 ranked Golf Resort in the world by Condé Nast Traveler magazine readers, Pelican Hill has been fortunate to receive wonderful feedback from many golfers about our gracious service, knowledgeable forecaddies and especially the championship course design by renowned architect Tom Fazio. In fact, experts have ranked both the Ocean North and Ocean South courses among Golf Digest’s America’s 100 Greatest Public Golf Courses.

I am disappointed to read that your visit was less than perfect and have taken the time to personally follow up with our golf team about your detailed input here. Once again, I appreciate you sharing your comments here and we certainly look forward to another opportunity to serve you.

Kind regards,