“Very good and great view”

Andrea at Pelican Hill
Reserve with OpenTable
Andrea at Pelican Hill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 512 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Newport Coast Drive
Description: The unprecedented attention to detail in Andrea, to recreate storied culinary traditions and classic dishes bursting with the true flavors of Italy, has resulted in remarkable Northern Italian cuisine, with Tuscan influences in particular, that rivals the nation's top Italian restaurants.
Reviewed August 18, 2014

We pulled into the parking lot and saw three Bentleys. All I could think was... glad I am not paying tonight.

The building and view are out of this world. When I go back, I have to play the golf course... looks gorgeous.

We had a few drinks on the outdoor patio. Stiff cocktails were excellent and service outside was good. We were a little star struck when Daymond John was sitting next to us (SharkTank, FUBU). I bet one of those Bentlys was his...

The food was very good. I had the Seabass and it was great. Everyone liked their food. The service was also good.

I only gave the place four stars because they had a party o 7 of us sit in a booth. We originally made the reservation for 6 - it took them 30 minutes to get us a table, which I understand since we switched the party size. However, we requested putting tables together (which were available) and they would not do it for us.

I would definitely go back... and although it is expensive it was well worth it.

There are newer reviews for Andrea at Pelican Hill

Reviewed August 5, 2014

Food, service, location - always on top. No wonder it is always a top rated restaurant in Orange County. My wife (a vegetarian) and I go regularly and never grow tired of it. Never run out of choices.

Reviewed July 29, 2014

…now they need to bring the rest of the resort upto the same, consistent standard.

We had the Wagyu Chateaubriand and it was prepared exactly as we desired. Jeremy was extremely attentive, knowledgeable and had, in a professional way, a sense of humour (didn't take himself too seriously how some do in these top restaurants).

Reviewed July 25, 2014

This was the best restaurant by far at Pelican Hill. The food was delicious. I am still upset they cleared my last bite of risotto before I was actually finished because I was talking- my bad not theirs but it was sooo good. Atmosphere is elegant although indoors, outdoors would have been a nice choice. Service was excellent too. Not cheap by any means but you get what you pay for....

Reviewed July 25, 2014

We had stayed at Pelican Hill once before our visit on 23 July 2014. It was a delightful experience. I decided to take my wife there for her birthday, and elected to have her birthday meal at Andrea since it was highly rated. The restaurant is located in a very romantic setting, and it is well appointed. Our table located on the ocean view terrace was wonderful. When we were first seated I was convinced that my favorite girl was going to have the birthday dinner of her life.
Then we met our waiter who was pompous and could not speak intelligible English. The menu he provided us contained a listing of meals that was extensive with vivid descriptions of dishes that could make your mouth water. When our food arrived, we took our first bite and were convinced it was the worst tasting food we had ever experienced. We have dined in places all over the USA and a large portion of the remainder of the globe. We have had meals that were so good that we talk about them like memorable friends. We have had meals that were not good, but none that were as bad as the ones served on this occasion. I would have returned these meals , but my wife did not want so spoil her day with this embarrassment.
I called the concierge the next morning, and complained about the meal. He said that he was sorry and that he would forward my complaint to the proper people.
I cringe that I paid almost $700.00 for a one night stay, two terrible meals, and an apology with a referral to the proper people. My advise to my friends and the readers of this review is do not make the same mistake that I made.

PelicanHillResort, General Manager at Andrea at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

It is with great disappointment that I read the feedback you have kindly taken the time to post here. I apologize that your experience at Andrea fell short of your expectations, especially on such a special occasion as your wife’s birthday. I regret that your recent visit lacked the delight you experienced in the past.

I have taken the time to speak with the Andrea manager and our culinary team to discuss your comments in detail. At Andrea and all restaurants at the Resort, we are committed to creating the finest epicurean experiences for every guest. I assure you that the less-than-perfect experience you encountered was the exception, and not the rule.

I would like to hear more about your experience and will provide you with my contact details separately in a private message, so you may contact me directly at your convenience. I look forward to the opportunity to listen and understand your perspective in more detail.

Kind regards,