“Gorgeous RV facility...highly recommend!!!”

Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort
Reviewed April 4, 2012

This was my first time at Newport Dunes and I thought it was fantastic!
We were going to stay one night, ended up staying two nights and then booked a spot there for a month this summer. We stayed in a beachfront spot which was lovely. Extremely clean and well-maintained, this resort is one of the most enjoyable, beautiful and relaxing RV resorts Ive ever encountered!
I highly recommend it to everyone...including families (perfect for kids), couples (beautiful scenery, walking paths), and -mans best friend- its pet friendly too!!!!! :)

Room Tip: Premium and Preferred sites in first 2 rows are best!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mobro1
There are newer reviews for Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort

Reviewed September 17, 2011

We rented a one bedroom beachfront cottage and was completely disappointed. We paid over $200 per night and received a cottage that was worth less than $100 per night! The cottages and facilities are not maintained well. There is a 15 minute limit of hot water in the shower. The window blinds are bent and broken. There was dog poop in front of our cottage that was never picked up (even though we brought it to the front desk's attention and they said they would take care of it). They said the movie on the beach starts at dusk, yet it didn't start for an hour after dusk. When I called security about an issue after hours, I was not able to get through.

One of the reasons we booked at Newport Dunes was because of the beach. However, when we got to the resort, we got a horrible surprise. When we asked the staff if we could swim anywhere in the bay, they said yes, yet when we walked along the beach afterwards, there were signs along the beach that said the water was contaminated (the staff never mentioned the water was contaminated). Curiously, though, the signs came down just as the weekend arrived?!

Overall, the only thing Newport Dunes has going for it is a view.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank homexec
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stayed at Newport Dunes on July 5th through the 8th of July 2011. We were a big group and had two tent sites and one cottage. Our tent sites were together and the cottage was 2 rows in front of us, and just a short walk. The grounds are nicely maintained, the campsite and cabin were ready and clean for us when they said they were going to be. I have never been camping before so this whole thing was new to me. The swimming pool was nice if you go early, but later in the day it is full of salt from the people who go back and forth between the pool and the lagoon. The lagoon wasn't as nice as I had hoped. It was really rocky, the water is murky and full of sludge. Also, at night there was a big brown snake in the playground that came out of the water. I asked the groundsmen if there are usually snakes here and he said yes, but only by the water. (UGH!) The bathrooms are as clean as can be expected, but could use a little more detail. There was some shower stalls with a dirty pair of kids underwear that stayed there for a few days. Other then the "muddy" shorts, everything else seemed okay. I would go back again, but next time I am leaving the tent at home and going in an RV or cottage.

3  Thank beandipshell
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Resort is in a great location, lots of activity on the beach. Lots of water rentals available. Expect to pay for all the activity that you want to do on the beach. We stay in a studio cottage. It's small but we expect it to be small since it's a studio. As other has stated, all the site are very tight and no fire pit unless you want to rent it.

Con:
Check in process was painful. We arrive at 1:30pm, after waiting 20 minute with only 1 person ahead of me. The clerk inform me that check in is 3pm not 2pm as their website stated. She gave us our cabin number so we can park there but was not able to give me the key until cabin is ready. This is reasonable, not a big deal.
As I was parking, I see housekeeping leaving the cottage. I ask if they are done cleaning, she said yes cottage is ready. I went back to the front desk to ask for key, explain to them that housekeeping is done cleaning. Front desk girl explain to me that housekeeper has not radio in to them that cottage is ready so she cannot release my key. I ask if she can radio housekeeper to confirm. She check with a gentlemen behind the desk and he stated that they do not want to bother housekeeping because interrupting them will make it even longer for them to clean the cottage. He asks that I come back at 3pm. We rented bikes, play on the beach, ate ice cream, and then came back at 4:30 pm. Was again informed that cabin is not ready, housekeeping has not radio. I told them that it was way pass check in time and they need to contact housekeeping or give me another cottage that was ready. This time they radio, and housekeeper said it was clean. No apology or explanation, they just gave me my key. My guess is it was clean a long time ago but housekeeper forgot to radio. Since front desk is too stubborn with their procedure I wasn't able to get into my cottage until 4:30pm.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank EvilLion
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The campgrounds were very clean, staff was friendly and we had lots to do. We rented bikes and rode around the campground and back bay drive. We also brought our kayak and had the best time. My kids loved the waterpark and the pool. I haven't been camping in years and was pleasantly surprised. The campground is very close to Balboa Island, which is worth a trip to have lunch or dinner and shop or have an ice cream. We will definetly go back!

2  Thank Kathynorman
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The spots are small, you could ask your neighbor to hand you some toilet paper if you needed some that is how close you are. The showers had no hot water. The movie on the beach changed 3 times and the screen looked as though my child spilled hot coco all over it. They ran out of life vests for the kids to play at the water park and they would not allow any child to play out there without their blue and yellow life vest. Poor kids were waiting for hours for another kid to turn in their vest. For the area and the price I would expect better.

Room Tip: Spend more to get a better not so crowded space.
2  Thank lovz2sun
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We have to say that our stay at the Dunes was pretty flippin' awesome. Everyone was so nice to us.. Starting from the time we checked in and up until the time we left. The people at the store were just awesome. There was a little blond girl, an older lady (who was just a total sweethart) and a nice young man. Everyone was helpful and went out of their way to be nice. We never got hassled by the security staff (maybe because we weren't doing anything wrong or disruptive...Just sayin'...)

There are different size camp sites for RV's of different sizes. I wouldn't say they were too small or super hard to get into...I would say they were just right for our 33 footer. I have to say that the pool was clean, the game room was pretty good size and the restrooms were clean too.

It was a family atmosphere to say the least...Lots of kids running around..Mom's and Dad's having fun with the kids, firepits on the beach etc... You do have to be careful when driving...Kids everywhere!! At about 10 pm the park got pretty quiet and campfires lit up the night.. Some adult beverages came out and laughter could be heard. Our "Neighbors" were really nice and we had no complaints about the crowd.. Everyone was pretty nice...I think the price kept out most of the riff raff.

The bad...It is a lagoon.. So the water isn't the clean ocean water you would get on a beach...I think it was kinda crappy to have the water toys out in the lagoon where all of the kids could see them and then charge extra for the kids to play on them.. At almost $200.00. a night....You would think the water toys would be included. It was just a little too much "Nickel and dime you to death" for me.

Tips....Don't rent the Surry... It is heavy and you can't take it on the bridge... We traded it out for a golf cart.. Go with the golf cart...Way more fun. Bring your own fire pit...There are not very many on the beach.. I have to say that when we go back.. We will probably not get the waterfront site... The ones a little further away were way less expensive and only about 100 feet away.. The water front price was not worth the money.

That is about as honest as a review as I could give.

9  Thank DaveandAngieCarney