1,707 results
All reviewscoliseum poolvilla poolgolf courseocean view bungalowbutler servicenorth villasround poolcoliseum grillandrea restaurantgolf clubgelatogas fireplaceprivate patiothe ritzpool servicehuge bathroomfour seasons
Reviewed April 12, 2015

Friends had recommended this resort so we booked it without reading reviews. After returning, I have read (a lot!) of reviews. I believe that inconsistency of service is the main problem. When service is not reliable and does not meet the expectations of the guest then we are left with a sour taste.

Good points:
1. The place is beautiful. We had a lovely villa - very clean and nicely decorated.
2. Room service came on time for breakfast each morning.
3. One person at the Villa Club house bar was good. Offered to give me water to take to the room and made me a smoothie in a timely manner (I didn't get his name - but he was at least over 25 and had professional customer service skills)
4. The Pelican Grill Lunch was decent and the waiter was professional and attentive.

Here are the "not-so-good" points

1. Directions: Since the check in area for the Villas is different than the main hotel, We would not have known where to go had we not been told by friends in advance. I think the signage and instructions could have been better.
2. Check-in was poor. Our room was not ready when we arrived at around 2:30. But, we were told that the cleaning crew was there and it shouldn't be too long. So, I ordered a drink and sat in the clubhouse, assuming that we would be waiting 30 minutes or so. I had to get some items from our luggage in the car which was parked right in front of the clubhouse. I was fumbling around with 5 suitcases to find bathing suits for the kids. At least one staff member saw me - glanced out and walked away without offering to help. Remember - this is the check in area for a "five-star" resort. It should have been swarming with valets (we were just at the Montage Beverly Hills where the valet staff was plentiful and attentive).
Two hours later I inquired again to a different woman and was told that the room was clean but awaiting inspection. We were then told that check in time was 5 pm and it would be ready by then. Why didn't they tell us that when we first arrived??? We did not get the room until 5:15 ish. They credited us $100. I explained (to the desk woman and to the manager) that my complaint was the ambivalence of the desk staff. Had they told me initially that we would not be checking in until 5 (or later) then I would have left the clubhouse and gone on a hike or used this time in a more productive way. But, we were under the impression that it could be "any moment" when the room would be ready. JUST BE UP-FRONT with guests - don't leave us hanging! The manager acted as though the $100 credit was a big gift. Not so when you are paying so much per day.
3. Once we got the room keys - we were told that a "Butler" would meet us to help us with our bags and to go through the villa with us. Butler did not show up for at least an hour. Obviously we had brought all of our bags up to the second floor villa already. We had dinner reservations and had to get ready. Luckily there was an elevator - but still??? No luggage cart? 5 stars???
4. The first day we were out of the villa all day. We came back at 5:15 to get ready for dinner reservations. The cleaning crew had just gotten there! I needed to rush them out so we could shower and get ready.
4. Also - ISN"T THERE A DROUGHT IN CALIFORNIA??? The cleaning crew stripped the beds daily and were running the dishwasher with maybe 4 dishes in it! And why are there not more hooks in the bathrooms to hang towels? We want to conserve - at least ask us if we need clean sheets nightly or if we want to re-use our towels. I would respect the property more if there were efforts made to conserve water.
5. Making my own coffee. Not so bad - but it didn't have any flavor and the $10 per bag charge was ridiculous.
6. Bad service at the villa pool and at the villa restaurants. Really bad. SLOW SLOW SLOW and when I finally got my salad it tasted like someone had dumped salt in it. I couldn't eat it - but then sat for a REALLY long time while all three wait staff tended to another table - I had to flag one of them down to get a new salad but by that time I had to leave for a meeting. Luckily my meeting was at the Pelican Grill (Golf Club) and I ordered lunch there and the service and food were excellent.
7. Good service and average food for dinner one night at the Coliseum restaurant.

Room Tip: Villas were lovely but removed from main area - quite a walk if you wanted to go to the main pool.
  • Stayed: April 2015, traveled with family
4  Thank lgspc
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2015

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback. While I’m pleased to read that you enjoyed the property, I’m disappointed to learn that you encountered anything less than a Five-Star service experience. I apologize that your visit was less than perfect with regard to check-in, housekeeping, Villa poolside service and dining.

Please know that Pelican Hill leaders review and consider each guest’s comments carefully, so that we may continue to improve upon our service standards throughout the Resort. Your candid thoughts are sincerely appreciated, and we would like to take a moment to speak with you to discuss your feedback further. I will provide the contact information for the Director of Rooms separately in a private message. Once again, I apologize for the inconveniences you encountered and thank you for providing your feedback here.

Reviewed April 11, 2015

Everything about the resort was beautiful-the view, the rooms, the lobby, the pool. The service was excellent. The location is fantastic, close to Balboa Island, Fashion Island, Crystal Cove State Park, Laguna Beach etc. The restaurants on the property were all very good. We did spa treatments and the spa is beautiful. The service was exceptional throughout our stay. The only negative is that you have to drive everywhere... to the lobby, to breakfast, to the restaurants. Everything is spread out so it is not like staying at a regular hotel where you walk through the lobby and you can talk to the staff on your way to your room but it is so beautiful that I got over that fast. Definitely a good choice.

• Stayed: April 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2015

I have stayed at Pelican Hill a few times over the past years and have always had an great but very expensive experience. This time the hotel was very busy, I arrived back to my villa and pulled the covers back to find two spiders, the staff came and changed the bed, the maintenance guy tried to talk me out of spraying saying that the chemicals are very powerful. He reluctantly sprayed around and behind the bed, i thought the problem was solved, it was not, the next night a new species of black bug had jumped into the bed, this time no one came or seemed to care. I don't think I will be returning to Pelican Hill again anytime soon.

Room Tip: This resort is very spread out, if you want to be within walking distance of the main areas you need to ask when checking in or they will send a shuttle to transfer you each time you want to go somewhere
  • Stayed: April 2015, traveled on business
7  Thank circuitdogg305
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2015

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback about your recent visit to Pelican Hill, and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay. It is our highest priority to deliver exceptional service throughout the Resort, and I regret that your experience did not reflect our Five-Star standards, especially knowing that you have been a loyal guest in the past.

I have followed up with each department in the Villas to discuss the concerns you have detailed here. Please know that Pelican Hill leaders review and consider each guest’s comments carefully, so that we may continue to heighten the overall guest experience. Further, we kindly request an opportunity to speak with you personally. I will provide the contact information for the Director of Rooms separately in a private message, so we can listen and understand your perspective in more detail. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed April 5, 2015 via mobile

As a returning guest, our late check in should have been anticipated by a phone call ahead of arrival. No compensation was given, no follow up as a perceived important guest, even though the prior guest was charged 50% for late check out and we were not allowed to check in until 6pm. Unacceptable. No followup etc. Also, room service was 1 hour and 10 minutes which we can't quite understand how a resort of your supposed standard can live with? We may have to begin reaching out to the Montage for future stays.....

Stayed: April 2015
8  Thank Jeffrey B
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2015

Jeffrey,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay. I’m deeply disappointed to read about your experience, and I would like to extend my sincere apologies that your stay has fallen short of the Five-Star standards you expect and we aim to deliver. Please know I have personally followed up with our management in each area to discuss the comments you kindly noted here. Please know that our Director of Rooms will follow up with you directly at the email you provided in our guest feedback form. Once again, I apologize that your experience was anything less than perfect. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed April 3, 2015 via mobile

We stayed here in a 2 bedroom villa in December and were over promised services at check in, we chalked it up to a late day and enjoyed the villa so much that despite the poor service we would give it another shot for Spring Break - if there was ANY way I could pull out of the reservation I would have. An absolute rude staff no check in until 5pm after being promised 2pm. For $11,000 a week, I would expect so much more- this is the last time here and in 4 months since the last visit the property has not been taken care of well. Horrible experience and they clearly don't care about their guests experience or service

Stayed: April 2015
10  Thank Jacki A
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2015

Jacki,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am greatly disappointed to read that your experience was less than perfect. Please know that Pelican Hill cares very much about taking care of our guests. I regret that your visits did not reflect our commitment to Five-Star standards of service.

I have personally followed up with the leaders of the Resort’s rooms division to address the detailed comments you have kindly shared here. Further, we would like to take a moment to speak with you personally to discuss your experience in detail. I will provide the contact information for the Director of Rooms separately in a private message.

Once again, I apologize that your experience fell short of your expectations and our goals. Your feedback is sincerely appreciated, as we strive to improve upon the unfortunate experience you encountered.