“unclear package details” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Resort at Pelican Hill

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
“unclear package details”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed at the resort a few nights ago and we booked a package that included "Spa Cuisine Lunch for two (2) at The Spa at Pelican Hill " We checked in around 3 and had a couples massage at 5:30. The following day we went to the Spa for our lunch but were told that we could not dine together and that the food would take 45 minutes to arrive. Apparently this "lunch" was meant to be consumed alone in the gender specific area. Some helpful employee saw what was happening and suggested that they feed us in the front waiting room together which was nice. We ordered 2 glasses of champage and a few snacks which came to $80. The lunch credit was $75 so we thought we would be charged just the balance. Upon leaving we found that they charged us the full $80. I called and they said they would take care of that. The revised bill now showed a charge of now $65 so I called back. Oh the champagene is not covered by the credit. Ok so can I come back and use my $50 credit? The answer was no. Maybe its a new program for them but it sure did not go smoothly. On top of that we had dinner in our room but they never came back to clean up so we had to move everything outside so we could go to bed. Still a very nice resort but I was surprised with the problems and lack of follow up when I made them known.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Rooms
2 Thank mark a
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent experience. Your sincere feedback is appreciated, as we strive to provide the highest levels of service and exceed our guests’ expectations.

I apologize for the confusion you experienced about what was included in the Spa lunch. I have taken the time to personally follow up with our director of Spa, in-room dining and housekeeping managers to address the inconveniences you experienced. I assure you that what you experienced was the exception, and not the rule.

I would like to take the time to speak with you directly to discuss your feedback in more detail. I will provide my contact details separately in a private message. Once again, I apologize that your experience was less than perfect, and I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Santosh Kuruvilla
Director of Rooms
The Resort at Pelican Hill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (372)
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Please do yourself and your family a favor and stay out of this Hotel! I spend the weekend there with my family and spend over 2 grand on room and food and it was the worst experience of my life!
The management there is terrible, the people who work there are unhelpful and a bunch of liers!
We got items stolen from our room, we got our car keyed in a private parking lot and we were lied to about the check out time.
The property itself is nice, but the service and management is zero!!!!!
The hotel charges you an arm and a leg for everything you touch in your room. You feel like a prisoner and it's not kids friendly.
The food at all the restaurants in the hotel are tasteless and overpriced!
KEEP OUT AND SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR SOMEWHERE WORTH WHILE!!!!

Room Tip: All rooms are Spaciuos, but because the service is so terrible the size of the room doesn't matt...
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 stars
11 Thank Sam123456143
PelicanHillResort, Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent experience with us. I understand your disappointment and am sorry to read about the unfortunate experiences described here. I apologize that your experience fell short of your expectations and our goals.

The safety and security of all guests and staff is Pelican Hill’s top priority. We interviewed the housekeeping staff and searched their lockers as soon as we received the loss report. We found no discrepancies in the interviews. Additionally, our security manager and front office manager were in constant communication with you during the investigation and advised you of the findings. We do not condone the actions you have detailed here, and I regret that what should have been an enjoyable getaway for you and your family left you disappointed.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide your candid feedback. I will provide my contact details separately in a private message so you may contact me at your earliest convenience.

Santosh Kuruvilla
Director of Rooms
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I rarely if at all ever write reviews for a hotel stay. However, this was one of the worst experiences my family and I have ever had staying at such a prominent and highly touted resort.
The pool staff at the villa pool is too thin and not well managed. It took approximately 17 minutes to get water and then 12 more minutes to get someone to come around to take our order.... After nearly an hour of waiting on and off we ate our lunch. The food was marginal, we waited another 30 minutes for staff member to come by and clear our dishes. We tried to flag four different people down and finally had to get up and go tell them to come over.... We asked very kindly for water again several times and no one brought it to us... The pool area wasn't even that busy... It was a terrible experience. It's so unfortunate because it's a lovely property and when you pay the price to stay at such a nice resort you expect what you pay for and that was clearly not the case. Poor service. Poor staff. Poor food. Poor experience.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Kate M
Las angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

My family stayed at the pelican hill resort for four nights and we absolutely loved it! Everything is beautiful and very well displayed. However, It is hard not to order food and drinks by the pool and at the resort restaurants, which seems to add up very quickly. Everything is very highly priced, and after just two fruity drinks by the pool we had a bill for $50. Other than that, our stay was flawless. The service is great and the pool is amazing. Though we did not use the golf course, it looked immaculate. There were lots of other kids and adults, and we made lots of friends. The food is overall very good and nicely sized portions. We could not have asked for a better place to stay!

Stayed July 2014
I am delighted to learn that you and your family loved your recent trip to Pelican Hill, and appreciate you sharing your thoughtful comments about the food, pool and service. We hope to welcome you back soon.

los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I really enjoy the general location of this hotel. The rooms are large and well-appointed. The property is near the coast but not a walk down to the beach. There are shuttlees every hour.. There is an enormous pool with good pool service. Bkfst was great, albeit expensive for the buffet at $55 per person. Dinner at Colliseum was beautifull , we sat in a private cabana whichi was great, but two items brought to the table of 7 people had actually gone bad. Andrea's is better, more formal, but indoors. The spa is really nice, and I had a grewat massage with a therapist there.ONe thing to note, I book wiht Amex Platinum always. This hotel is does not give upgrades even if there is availability. I have stayed at least a dozen times and that has consistently been the case. So you need to book exactly the room type you want to be in. This time I booked within a day and the reservation agent told me that the Ocean View Bungalow would upgrade to a suite upon availability. I checked and there was plenty of availability when we checked it but they still did not upgrade. Just something to note b/cthe neighboring beach properites in Laguna have been more generous with the upgrades. Overall a nice place to stay with proximity to the best shopping and restaurants in Orange County.

Room Tip: Pay for what you want. They have not upgraded us in a dozen+ stays since they opened.
      Location
    • 4 of 5 stars
We are thankful for your numerous visits to Pelican Hill, and appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback about your most recent stay. While I am pleased to read about your consistent enjoyment of your accommodations, as well as your time at the Coliseum Pool, Andrea and the Spa, I am disappointed to learn that your dining experience at Coliseum Pool & Grill was not up to standard. I have personally addressed these comments with our management team. We hope to see you again soon.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

WOW!! I had family visiting from the east coast and we traveled from San Diego to Catalina for the day. I'm not familiar with Newport so I asked a friend who lives in Newport to recommend a nice place for dinner with a great view for our guests. My family was blown away. From the moment we pulled up to the valet at the Coliseum Grill to when we asked for our check - I was VERY happy. In fact, I will return with my hubby to enjoy a weekend at this resort - I was so impressed. This is a top notch property worthy of all it's accolades in Newport. Our dinner was delicious!! service was very good. Mind you, we were not dressed to impress (long day of driving...) but we were treated like royalty. I wish I lived closer - I would come here every week!

Cleanliness
1 Thank karavalley
Kara,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience at Coliseum Pool & Grill with your family. It is our mission to provide every guest with Five-Star service, and I am delighted that this was reflected in your short visit here. We look forward to welcoming you and your husband for a weekend at our Tuscan seaside village.

Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I grew up in Hawaii and was privileged to visit many of the exclusive resorts on the Islands. The facilities, staff and amenities at Pelican Hill are among the best I have ever experienced. The view of the Newport Coasts from our room was excellent and made morning coffee a joy. I highly recommend the massage, it is an excellent way to begin your vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
2 Thank Rich_NV
Rich,

Thank you for sharing your gracious feedback about Pelican Hill. I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed the Resort’s facilities, staff, amenities and spa treatment, and have taken the time to thank our entire staff for making your experience excellent.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,110 reviews

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!