“Understated Elegance”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Just returned from a brief mother-daughter sojourn at Pelican Hill. There are no rooms in the main building - all rooms are bungalows or villas, and the word bungalow doesn't do them justice. We stayed in a bungalow guest room with a distant view of the ocean from the terrace. The room was gorgeous - two large Queen beds, desk and chairs, fireplace - beautifully decorated - vaulted wood- beam ceiling, sliding glass doors to the private terrace which had a glass wall and two chaise lounges, table and chairs, huge bathroom with a large tub, double sinks, separate WC, and walk-in shower without curtain - terrific water pressure. The room was QUIET, firm yet downy mattresses, complimentary water, free wi-fi, and complimentary parking which is unheard of in CA (we were able to walk to the main lobby and spa, but you could call for complimentary shuttle service) - could go on and on. I am not a huge traveler, but I've done my share and prefer to stay in a 5 star hotel when possible. Pelican Hill exceeded my expectations and was one of the most elegant rooms I've stayed in. I titled my review Understated Elegance because we were able to dress down and be casual in such amazing surroundings. The pool area is gorgeous although we did not avail ourselves of its use. We had dinner at the Pelican Grill on the verandah overlooking the pool. The evening was enjoyable with fine service. The next day we had lunch at the Pelican Hill Golf Club, another pleasant experience. I would be remiss in not commending Shaylin, from Concierge services, who miraculously found us two loge center tickets for that evening's performance of Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach - she drove quite a distance to pick them up for us and when one speaks about "going the extra mile", she literally did!! Kudos, Shaylin!! I hope to return to Pelican Hill in the not too distant future.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank JaniceA885
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Janice,

I am delighted to read how much you enjoyed your recent mother-daughter trip to Pelican Hill, and appreciate you taking the time to post your gracious comments. I am pleased that your experience exceeded your expectations, and personally passed along my gratitude to Shaylin in Concierge for assisting you with your Pageant of the Masters tickets. We hope to welcome you back soon!

The Resort at Pelican Hill

Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed July 11, 2014

I had the opportunity to stay at Pelican Hill in October. The weather was perfect and the resort equally so. Although the reception lacked a warm and fuzzy feeling they were excellent in service. I was fortunate to stay in a 2 bedroom villa on the top floor with an amazing view. Although my villa was a distance away from the main building and services I never had to wait longer than it took for me to make it downstairs. The entire property is beautiful, the view spectacular and the food yummy. Looking for a 5 star experience with that California Feeling one can only get in California? This is a great place to give a try.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lfolsom521

Thank you for providing your feedback about your recent visit to Pelican Hill. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your Villa accommodations and dining experiences, and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Took my family here for a trip in March and it was excellent. They were able to accommodate all of our requests and then some. We had a great view of the ocean from our room. Understand, this property is NOT on the ocean so your not going to have a beachfront view but some rooms have a much better view than others. They are constantly bring fruit, snacks, water, etc to your room. The rooms are very tastefully decorated. The sleep experience is great. The linens are great. The toiletries are great. We had a nice relaxing day by the pool in one of the cabanas and they pampered us all day in it. We played one of the golf courses and found it to be just ok. Not what I was expecting from an ocean course but it had some cool holes. I travel a lot and try to stay at upscale places and this one is among the best. There is some stiff competition in this area but Pelican holds its own.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Carid W

I am delighted that you enjoyed your family trip to Pelican Hill earlier this year. It is our aim to deliver Five-Star service to every guest, and I am pleased to read that this was reflected in your stay. We appreciate you posting your feedback, and hope to see you and your family back here soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Travelled 4th of July week and stayed 7 days at this property. Two Couples. First the property was just spectacular. We stayed in a bungalow with a really attractive ocean view. No...the property does not sit directly on the ocean/beach, but the views are stunning and the proximity to the beach and the beauty and views from the grounds make this place jaw dropping. The staff were attentive and professional from the moment we arrived until the car drove us to the airport. The restaurants are top tier over all, with a special nod to Andrea's, the signature restaurant on site. Our stay included a fishing expedition, off site restaurants, and a day trip PCH drive to San Diego, all assisted by the capable concierge staff---much of it presented to us as options before we arrived on site. Special Kudos to Danielle de Beaubien and her teammates on the concierge staff. They made way for a restful and memorable stay. Cant wait until we return.

Room Tip: quiet and controlled environment. Think of a gated community environment with all the bells and whi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nolarod

We appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughtful feedback here, in addition to the kind comments you posted on our Andrea, Pelican Grill, Pelican Hill Golf Club & Coliseum Pool & Grill review pages. I am pleased that you enjoyed your Bungalow accommodations, our Resort restaurants and service staff, and have personally shared your kudos with Danielle and the Concierge staff. We hope to welcome you for another restful and memorable stay in the future.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

We've stayed here 3 or 4 times and are always amazed at the welcome we receive. The rooms are incredible and the staff wonderful! The views are awesome from the golf course and the banquet food is incredible!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Stephen H

Stephen,

Your feedback is a gift, and we appreciate you taking the time to post your kind comments here. I am pleased to know that you have consistently enjoyed your experiences with your accommodations, as well as our staff and food. We hope to welcome you back to our Tuscan seaside village soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Worst service we've ever experienced. We are seasoned travelers and have stayed at many wonderful resorts. Pelican hill staff is simply Unattentive and Unprofessional from front desk to hospitality services. Disappointing for $500+ night. Not even close to the same stratosphere as hotels such as Four seasons or Mandarin Oriental etc. We do NOT recommend staying here; the service is that poor :(

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank SweettravelsAP
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback about your recent visit to Pelican Hill, and sincerely apologize that your stay was compromised by the less-than-perfect service you encountered. It is our highest priority to deliver exceptional service throughout the resort, and I regret that your experience did not reflect our Five-Star service standards.

I would like to take a moment to speak with you personally to discuss your feedback in detail. I will provide my contact details separately in a private message. As we continuously strive to heighten the guest experience at Pelican Hill, your feedback is appreciated.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Beautiful property with amazing views from our Villa! The resort staff, from shuttle drivers to our personal Butler, were professional, attentive and very friendly. The problems, unfortunately, were many.
Since our family was staying for a month, eating every meal "out" was not on the agenda. The "fully equipped" kitchen was lacking in pans, utensils, dishes and glasses which made a loud statement to us they didn't want us cooking on the state of the art Wolf range or even use the kitchen. The TVs were analog and only offered 3 HD stations. (quite antiquated for the cost of staying here) The bedrooms and bathrooms were very spacious and beautifully appointed but we did have problems with the sprinklers from the golf course soaking the patio furniture at night, rendering them useless until they dried off in the sun later the following day. Housekeeping, although they did a great job, needed to be contacted to come clean as some days they didn't show up until very late in the afternoon. And, don't go eat at any of the restaurants if you want a quick bite or to dine in under an hour and half. (that includes breakfast or lunch) There were several "little" things, like broken lamps and bathroom doors that didn't lock, that just are not expected at a resort of this "quality". Nothing major, just a few too many "little" items which added up to some aggravation in getting them corrected. If we were only going to be there for a short while, it probably wouldn't have bothered anyone.
The views were heaven and the location is the middle of everywhere we wanted to be. Our Butler was very quick to correct many of the issues and a huge thank you to Brett! We had a great vacation and loved the pools! (also with amazing views!) But, bottom line, considering the expense, the value was not that of a 5-star resort.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank Ann P
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Ann,

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments about your recent visit to Pelican Hill. While I’m pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed the property and the service of our staff, I want to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay. I am disappointed that these oversights impacted your overall experience at Pelican Hill. Please know that I have followed with the Villa manager, restaurant managers and housekeeping department to address the feedback you have graciously detailed here.

It is through the candid and thoughtful feedback from our guests that we are able to continuously improve upon our service standards throughout the Resort. I regret that your experience fell short of your expectations and our goals and would like to take a moment to speak with you personally to discuss your feedback further. I will provide my contact details separately in a private message. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Santosh Kuruvilla

#7 of 18 in Newport Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#6 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!