“Lives up to its accolades”

The Resort at Pelican Hill
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Lives up to its accolades”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the Resort at Pelican Hill as a getaway with my girlfriend and all I can say is wow! From the moment we arrived until we had to depart, the experience was flawless. The room was absolutely breathtaking (bungalow suite)! Complete with fireplace and a balcony overlooking the ocean, it was incredible. Probably my favorite aspect was the layout of the resort. It is very spread out and feels more like a luxurious neighborhood than a hotel. The result, peace, quiet, tranquility. I loved having my car right outside of my bungalow. Rather than having to park in some lot very far away or valet my car each day, it was always accessible. However, if I just wanted to get around the resort, a complimentary shuttle could pick us up within a few minutes. Another incredible amenity was the spa. Though we didn't book any services, the facilities are included in your stay (we travel a lot, this is quite rare there is usually a surcharge of $30-$50pp). The steam room and jacuzzi were amazing. The spa atmosphere could not have been more relaxing! Room service was excellent and overall the service and the staff were top notch. This hotel truly lives up to all of its accolades! Prior to departing, we were fortunate enough to tour the Villas with one of the managers, Casey (who was very kind and helpful). The Villas are an exclusive area of the resort and are larger than the standard rooms (which are already VERY spacious). The Villas are more like individual homes with attached garages, very large and very luxurious. The hotel was warm, comfortable, and welcoming. Everything I could ever ask for in a luxury hotel and more, will be back without a doubt!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mark G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (409)
  • Turkish first
Toronto, ON
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I recently stayed at this resort for business/pleasure, I am a semi-frequent traveler who appreciates luxury but doesn't need/require it. My review as per the following CAT's;

Room(s):
I stayed in a standard room for a few nights and moved to a 2bdrm villa for a few nights. As this is a newer resort the rooms have very little wear and tear, they are large, clean and high-end (fireplace was a beautiful touch). Now I am sure someone could come on here and write something negative but I am sorry these are very nice rooms by most standards unless you live in a $20M+ home. The villa was approx 2,200 sq ft and very comfortable for two couples, the appliances were all high-end (wolf range) and custom built in fridge/freezer etc.

Golf Course/Amenities:
Wow, find a place on this resort that doesn't have an amazing view and you are actually looking in the wrong direction... both pools have beautiful views (circular pool being the star of the show), both golf courses North and South have signature holes (multiple) looking out into the ocean and the restaurants here offer a choice for everyone, seriously even our friends two year old had menu options that were thoughtfully arranged.

Staff:
Now this is where I felt they really shined... I dare you to try and open the door for yourself, you would need to sneak up to towards the door and break into a flat out sprint for the last 10ft in order for a staff member to miss opening it for you. I had a very helpful staff member named Weston (spelling sorry) who graciously drove us around the resort and made sure we were well taken care of. The course provided my foursome with a caddie for the round, Casey saved me 4-6 very embarrassing puts and helped to speed up our round and overall enjoyment.

Issues:
First, long distance calling rates from the room are horrific... seriously horrific. That said who doesn't have a cell plan these days that accommodates LD calls, I guess me?
Second, golf course cancellation fee $75.. I wasn't feeling well from the night before and phoned to cancel my afternoon round the morning of and was hit with a $75 fee... not my favorite thing after spending $600+ on the previous round with 2 more rounds booked for the week at a similar cost.

Overall:
This is a 5 star property held up by a 5 star staff... hopefully they can keep this up so that I can come back to what I have left.

Regards,

Scott.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Our friends asked us to join them on vacation. We stayed in a 3 bdr, 3 bath south villa,overlooking one of the golf courses and the ocean. Beautiful view and accommodations, very comfortable living area and nice bedroom linens and duvets.
I have no idea what it cost them for the villa, but I am sure it was alot. The good points are stated above but so many things were missed from my point of view on what a true 5 star plus resort should be.
Housekeeping came really early in the morning ( who wants housekeeping at 8.00 in the morning on vacation), and one day just never came. They always missed putting towels in our bathroom only, either one face cloth, no bath mats, one towel etc. not enough for two people. One day I unrolled the bath mat we did get, and it had a huge dark stain on it. It should have never been used again. Pretty gross, I mentioned it to the housekeeping staff at turndown, but they did not seem to understand me. I am not saying that to be rude but it is hard to ask for anything when there are language barriers.
Another odd thing, we would shut the gates and the garage door every time we left, and every day we came home, the doors were open. We assume it was from the staff, but I did not like the fact that the doors were left open.
Bath amenities were only replaced once, on our second last day. but we also had our own products so not a huge deal. But we travel a fair amount and most places replenish more often than that.
The butler that comes with the suite was only there when we arrived. Never saw him again.
The kitchen was not well stocked at all. If you plan to cook, you better be prepared for a very sparse kitchen. No salad bowls, actually no bowls to mix, at all, no tongs, spatulas, grill pans etc. only a few dinner plates, small coffee cups, no side plates. It was hard to cook and prepare a nice dinner. I am sure they want you to go out to their restaurants.
We did eat at the pool, Pelican Grill, Piccolo, and the golf clubhouse. Good food, but extremely expensive for what you got. We went into Newport and ate a few times and the food albeit, still expensive was better quality.
The area is lovely, villa beautiful, pools were great, the kids had a great time. Rented a cabana at the private villa pool and it was very nice. But again, service was spotty at times. They just need to make it so when staying there, you feel like you are being pampered. I personally never felt that way.
The staff are nice enough, but for the cost it should in my opinion be over the top.
I am happy we had the opportunity to stay there, but if it was on my dime, I would have been pretty annoyed at what you get for the money.
Area is lovely though, stunning view from the south villas.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sun987
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent experience. I sincerely regret that your stay was less than perfect. I have addressed your comments with each department you mentioned. We appreciate the opportunity to heighten the guest experience, based upon the detailed comments you posted here. Should you wish to discuss your experience further, I invite you to please contact me directly at your convenience.

Kind regards,

Giuseppe Lama
Managing Director
The Resort at Pelican Hill
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Very deifferent from a normal hotel. This is definitely more of a getaway spot. You'll love it! The only mistake we made was booking through a third party because they screwed up our bed situation. We paid for a king bed and they changed it to 2 queens. We sleep in a queen at home, so why wouldn't we want a king on a trip?! Especially if we're paying a good amount of money to stay there... They also charged our card twice. Anyway, don't book through Olotels.com, save yourself the trouble, and just pay the extra 5 or 10 bucks by booking directly through Pelican Hill :)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hayley G
Rocklin, California
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

Upon arriving at this hotel the staff scrambled to get us into our room early. Our flight got us here at 11:00am and they got us into our beautiful perfect bungalow with the most amazing real ocean view not a peek of ocean either. I am sitting on my private deck writing this review. I had lunch at the pool grill with a pitcher of sangria. Not cheap but worth every penny. Besides the Grand Wailea in Maui this is my new favorite California Hotel. Everybody needs to experience this hotel and their service. Tomorrow a 90 minute massage. I will send a review about it tomorrow. I'm in earths heaven right now.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
New Delhi
Reviewed November 10, 2013

If Beauty, Serenity & Courtesy has a name, it got to be "The Resort at Pelican Hill". This was our (me & my wife) first stay here and we are glad we came here. The rooms/cottages were huge looking over the hill. The rooms and elegant decoration and a lovely fireplace. Having coffee at the balcony was a blissful experience.
However what made our stay was the friendly and courteous staff. We really liked the conversation that we had with all the staff.
The breakfast served in the rooms were awesome especially the muffins.

Another thing to do is the trip around the Golf course which is supposed to be one of the finest in the world.

I wish the massage session should have been longer :-)

Room Tip: All rooms are carefully well located.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RahulS679
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This was our fourth stay at this hotel as it has become one of our favorite places to stay. Our main reasons why we enjoy this property so much are because of the large and beautiful standard rooms, the unique layout of the hotel, and the pretty setting.

The rooms, called bungalows, are pure bliss and provide a very attractive and relaxing environment. Besides being very large, they are comfortable and come across as more homey than a standard hotel room. Perhaps it is the limestone fireplace, light wood cabinetry, or vaulted wood beamed ceiling that makes you feel you are in a special place. An equally sublime bathroom of pure luxury and space should also be noted. These features combined with a cohesive soft color palate create the perfect retreat. To top it off, large well-made sliding glass doors open to a spacious private patio. Ours came with two lounge chairs, a large umbrella, and a table with two chairs.

We like that the bungalows are set on four different streets in charming clusters and rows. The architecture is very attractive, as is the landscaping. It makes walking to the Coliseum and the main building a pleasant stroll. It is also nice that you are able to park nearby your room. It all makes you feel like you are staying in our own little private villa on a grand estate, and not at a standard hotel or resort.

The rest of the hotel is also wonderful. The Coliseum pool is very cool and fun to swim in. The restaurants are all very nice and visually appealing with good food. The gym is decent sized so that a full workout can be achieved. The spa area is great, especially the hot tub which is located in a tiled room that reminds us of a mini Grand Central. All this, plus Wi-fi in your room, is included in your room rate with no additional fees.

Service overall at the hotel is pretty good, but falls somewhat short of the outstanding service we have experienced at other hotels of this caliber.

Our past stays have been at less busy times at the hotel and the increase in the amount of guests did affect our stay a little. Our room was not ready until just before the official check in time of 4pm. The next day we returned to our room at 3:30pm to find that maid service was not done. A phone call was made and within fifteen minutes the service was provided. As mentioned, the patios are private but noise and smoke from neighbors can travel your way. A new feature at the pool is rafts that seem to be collected by young children that use then use them as diving boards. The pool is very large so it should not really stop you from enjoying the pool, it is more of a safety concern that the hotel should reconsider. There is no adult pool here, and the kid’s pool is nice but what child would want to be in a separate pool when the Coliseum pool beckons.

One more note: the bungalows seem to come in only two categories: garden view, and ocean view. We have never been disappointed with our location, but the views in each category seem to vary to a fair degree. There really should be a third middle designation.

Regardless of your placement, you are still at one of the most attractive resorts around and staying in a room that we personally find as one of the best we have ever come across.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 17 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#5 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!