“No Phone Service-do not stay at this hotel”

The Resort at Pelican Hill
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Los Angeles, California
“No Phone Service-do not stay at this hotel”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I just got off the phone after calling back 3 times to get through. Once I got through, I asked for front desk. I was placed on hold for 3 mintues and then Alissa picked up and began askingme about my roomdates, etc. After speaking to ehr for another 3 mintues, she said someone form reservations would call me back. I asked her why she said she was "reservations" and she said, "oh no, I amreservations for activites. not rooms." I asked her why I could not be transferred to room reservations and she said they were all in a meeting. It is Monday at 5:45pm and not one single room reservations person is avaialbe to speak to.....I thena sked to speak to teh GM and she told me that isnt possible. I asked to speak to a amanger, and she put me on hold for about 90 secodns and then hung up on me.

I do reviews all the time and have come to the conclusion that phone service in a hotel is 100% indicative of the service you get when you are at the hotel.

This hotel is supposed to be "luxury" 5 star and costs over $600 a night.
I stay at 5 star, 4 star and 3 star hotels all over the world.....
I recently had better service Birmingham, Alabama at Embassy Suites than on the phone with this hotel.

It is clear that $$$ does not always buy you good service.....

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Audreynherboys
PelicanHillResort, Director of Rooms at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent reservations experience with us. I understand your disappointment and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered.

At Pelican Hill, it is our highest priority to deliver exceptional guest experiences from the moment you contact us to book your reservation. We expect each member of our staff to go above and beyond to meet our guests’ expectations, and I regret that your encounter was less than perfect. Please know that I have discussed your feedback with our reservations team, so we may continue to improve on our service levels throughout the Resort.

If I may be of personal assistance to you with any reservations, please contact me directly. I will provide my contact details separately in a private message. Once again, please accept my sincere apology, and I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon.

Kind regards,

David Phillips
Director of Rooms
The Resort at Pelican Hill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
  • Turkish first
McHenry, Maryland
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Both are absolutely lovely resorts. Pelican Hill is newer and much more sophisticated, Torrey Pines is more laid back and comfortable. The staff at both resorts are exceptionally good at what they do and it's obvious that they receive excellent training. The bungalows at Pelican Hill are gorgeous and encourage you to just relax and take it all in. We really enjoyed the fireplace and were upgrade to an ocean (albeit obstructed by trees) view. We ate at the Grille twice and both meals were very good, with even better service. The young women who work in the Cafe are super nice and helpful.

The big difference between the two resorts I think is that guests at Torrey Pines are so much friendlier and more considerate of others. The last night of our stay we had a large group of people partying in the room next to us. They started entertaining at 7:30. We had an early morning flight back to Baltimore and just wanted to get some sleep. At 1:00am my husband finally asked our neighbors to turn down their music....they did.....but seemed totally oblivious that others might be trying to sleep at that time of night. A group of the women spent a good deal of time out on their patio complaining loudly about how hard it was to raise children with only one nanny....can't relate as I raised two boys while working full time with no help at all. Overall, the guests at Pelican Hill seemed more self-absorbed than thoughtful. Just my observation, and maybe we were just unlucky with the neighbors. While I loved the resort, and this was our second visit, I probably wouldn't return for another stay........The Lodge at Torrey Pines is a better fit for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chseipp
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband, daughter, and I wanted a quick escape for the July 4th weekend. I just wish that we had a longer vacation at The Resort at Pelican Hill! From the moment we arrived, the service was excellent. We were addressed by name and were told very quickly that we were upgraded from a 1-bedroom bungalow to a 2-bedroom villa. For us, it was perfect. If you are unaware of the resort layout, the villas are quite a bit secluded from the rest of the property. Since we were wanting a relaxing vacation, this was a good fit for us. If you are wanting "a piece of the action" I would suggest a bungalow.
Our 2 bedroom villa was at least 1500 square feet, if not larger. There was a very modern full kitchen. We just used the fridge. There was a washer/dryer which came in handy to rinse/dry our swimsuits. There was a balcony terrace which was lovely for an afternoon siesta. The bathrooms were large(2.5 baths) with good showers. The beds were wonderful!
The service in the restaurants was friendly and professional.The
food at the restaurants was delicious and plentiful. We enjoyed every meal.
We did rent a cabana by the pool for 1 day. This was the only problem that we encountered. If you are wanting to rent a cabana, you may want to see if there are small children at the cabanas near you. We were all adults, and the cabana next to us had 2 screaming, small children which was not very relaxing. For $350, there should be an adult section of cabanas. That is truly the only complaint that I had with the resort. .
We are truly looking forward to our next visit to this beautiful resort!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank horadam1
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I recently went with another couple friend to The Resort at Pelican Hill. We stayed in one of their Villas which was first class. The staff at the whole resort was about as good as I have experienced. Kerry at the Villa pool went above and beyond to make sure we had a good time and even took us out on a boat to see the Harbor. Kevin, the butler was also great and made sure our villa had everything we needed.

Overall, we will be back to Pelican Hill!

Alex E

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2013

The bottom line for Pelican Hill is that it is a wonderful place, but one that is expensive by any standard. If you stay for a few days and are hitting the golf courses, the spa and the restaurants you can run up a bill that approaches the national debt of some countries.

The property is beautiful and immaculately kept. The extensive landscaping is very well maintained. We stayed in an ocean view bungalow, which was large and had a very nice patio. "Ocean view" is a bit of a misnomer since the resort is a good distance from the Pacific and you really only see the ocean from your bungalow if you stand on your tiptoes and peer over the landscaping. The rooms are nicely appointed with comfortable furnishings and bedding. The bathrooms are spacious with enough water pressure in the shower to knock you over if you're not careful. Service throughout the resort is friendly and very professional.

I played both the north and south golf courses during the visit. Both are Tom Fazio designed courses of early 1990's vintage. Neither course is long on the scorecard but they play longer than they appear because you get very little roll on tee shots. The south course is the shorter of the two and a little less forgiving off the tee. Both courses have a good number of forced carries over canyon type areas so they are not great for a hacker. Greens and fairways are in excellent shape and well maintained. The south course has three holes down by the Pacific which are spectacular. The north also has some great views but you don't get nearly as close to the ocean. The final four holes on the south course are very tough, as are the last two holes on the north course. My only "criticism" of the course conditions is that the greens are a little slow -- probably slower than most of us are used to playing. I played both courses in the morning and the pace of play was about four and a half hours -- not bad for resort golf. Forecaddies are mandatory with each group and that certainly helps the pace of play. They use the Quicksilver yardage system and there is a yardage gun on each cart so you don't need to worry about bringing your own.

As I mentioned at the outset, the downside of Pelican Hill is what it costs. Golf is $275 for resort guests plus the tip for the caddy, so a round of golf will run you north of $300. There is a discount for late afternoon and evening play if you want to wait around for it. I made the mistake of having the breakfast buffet at the Coliseum one morning without first noticing the price ($44). A bloody mary will run you $16 and a glass of Barolo at the main bar off the lobby is $25. The room rates are quite expensive, especially on weekends.

There are some excellent restaurants in the area, especially in Laguna Beach. Remember that this is southern California and allow for the traffic whether you are heading into Laguna or north to Newport Beach. What should be a five minute drive distance-wise into Laguna Beach never is so allow for the traffic congestion when you head out for a restaurant reservation.

My only irritation with Pelican Hill was parking. Our bungalow was on Via Assisi, which is the uppermost street near the main lobby. Twice when I drove back to the room there was no parking spot to be found anywhere near the room -- and I mean anywhere within an acceptable walking distance. I asked security personnel what the heck I was supposed to do about parking my car. I was told that they would "move some of the cars," which confused me at first. Then I figured out that they were using some of the spaces near the upper bungalows for valet parking which, needless to say, didn't make me very happy. I don't think that would be an issue with bungalows further down the hill.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 29, 2013

We have had the pleasure of staying at Pelican Hill a couple of times. The location overlooking the ocean is gorgeous. Love the old olive trees. Lots of activities on and off grounds but doing nothing is a pure joy too. Staff is very attentive. Great massage and facial services -- Mrs. Verdere will have your skin glowing. Looking forward to visiting again!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Anitra R
Escondido, CA
Reviewed June 26, 2013

From the rooms, to the landscaping, excellent golf, incredible service, beautiful pool area and pricey but fabulous restaurants, Pelican Hill meets the 5 star standard. We spent a couple of nights there for my wife's birthday and ate at Andrea where the homemade pasta lived up to its booking,and the grill at the golf course was excellent as well The South course was unfortunately closed, but I played the North and the layout was superb. Only complaint about the golf was I thought the green speed was a little slow. Minor point unless you play lots of golf. Anyway the rooms were very spacious with fireplaces, beautiful deck looking to the ocean and spacious baths. I would stay there again in a minute. Make sure you go down to Crystal Cove while visiting

Room Tip: Pick the ocean view rooms
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Beach
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 17 in Newport Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!