“Do I have to leave”

The Resort at Pelican Hill
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Absolutely breath taking and amazing, it is expensive but was worth saving up to come stay one night. The view the experience it is everything you would want at a resort. Makes me not miss hawaii at all! I just didnt want to leave, also the service here makes me feel like I am the only person who they are attending too in the resort. Also a special thank you for Tom the Concierge he was so incredibly helpful and polite and always smiling. Thank you Pelican Hill

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sophie A

Reviewed June 22, 2013

We have stayed in luxury hotels all over the world. I honestly would say this is one of the BEST!
The Coliseum dining area has a fabulous menu using the highest quality ingredients. Brunch overlooking the Pacific Ocean is a beauitiful way to begin your day in heaven. Everything is first class from the service, to the restaurants to the room appointments-nothing is missed.

Room Tip: The Villas are a treat. We enjoyed North Villa 511. Bungalows are lovely as well 135-149 for best vi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My husband and I decided to come to here for for part one of our honeymoon. While the resort is very nice, the management team is absolutely terrible and, in fact, lies to its customers. Unfortunately, during our stay, a personal item (that is not replaceable) was taken by the laundry team and we spent the following two days of our stay trying to hunt the item down.

The house manager (Nathan Donaldson) spoke to us in person and promised that he would follow us with us during our honeymoon that he would either (i) find the item or (ii) provide us with monetary compensation for our loss. Our honeymoon was in March. We never heard back from Mr. Donaldson during our honeymoon, and in fact, he never followed up throughout the entire month of April. We left voice messages for Mr. Donaldson and sent him multiple emails, and he never responded! Finally, two months after our stay at honeymoon, we finally got in touch with Mr. Donaldson on the phone (since he refused to respond to any of our emails), and he agreed to a one-night stay compensation due to the lack of response and inability for the team to find our item, and this would be credited to our credit card within 10 business days.

Unfortunately, another few weeks passed and there was still no credit on my card. As a result, we emailed Mr. Donaldson and got no response. Finally, we called the hotel again, only to find out that Mr. Donaldson left the hotel after our conversation and never put through the credit. To make matters worse, we then had to speak with Luigi Califano, who is now telling us that our agreed upon conclusions with Mr. Donaldson is untrue and that the hotel can not honor the agreed upon compensation. Mr. Califano called us on a Saturday night at 9PM and wasted 30 minutes on the phone basically to tell us he can't do anything. What incompetent management team would do such a thing?

Honestly, at this point, money aside, this is the MOST disappointed I have ever been with a "5-star" hotel. (1) we did not pay to stay at a resort where house cleaning swipes items. (2) we did not stay at a hotel that has a rooms manager who never follows up on lost items, never responds to emails and never responds to voicemails. (3) we did not want to stay at a hotel where, after our stay, we would be wasting hours of phone calls trying to get back what was promised to us. (4) A FIVE STAR HOTEL LIKE THIS SHOULD NOT HIRE A MANAGEMENT TEAM THAT LIES AND DOES NOT RESPOND TO ITS CUSTOMERS.

Future guests - there are many fancy resorts in Southern California where you don't need to deal with an awful management team that does not respond and even lies to their guests.

For hotel managers - think twice about the "managers" that are representing your property. We have many family/friends in Southern California. When we go visit, I hope NEVER to have to stay here again thanks to the experience caused by your staff.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CityCatCat
PelicanHillResort, Director of Rooms at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

It is with deep regret and disappointment that I read through the details of your experience at Pelican Hill, and your interaction with our management team. I want to thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback with us here, and personally apologize for the manner in which our staff handled this unfortunate situation.

At Pelican Hill, our top priority is delivering exceptional guest experiences. The lack of professionalism and respect you encountered during your stay, and over the last few months, is certainly unacceptable. We do not condone the actions you have detailed here, and I regret that what should have been an exquisite honeymoon celebration has left you disappointed.

While I can assure you that I have discussed this matter in detail with our managing director and management teams, I kindly request the opportunity to speak with you directly. I am determined to rectify this situation, and inspire your trust and confidence in Pelican Hill and our leadership team. I will provide my contact details separately in a private message.

Once again, I apologize that your experience fell short of your expectations and our goals. It is through the thoughtful input of our guests that we are able to continually heighten our service levels, and I would like to thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback.

Kind regards,
David Phillips
Director of Rooms

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We came in with low expectation from our last trip (read my 1st review from last May) but I was still disappointed. We decided to stay here again b/c it's close to disneyland and it's a nice facility to relax (not nice service). We are a family of 4 with a well behave 4 years old and a mellow 7 months old who just want a place to relax after a day of theme parks. We frequent high end hotels regularly (four seasons and Peninsula hotels around the world). We booked our room though our travel agent and paid full price for it ( not hotel and air fare package or Priceline) what we got in return when we checked in at 7pm was an accessible room. When we are paying for a room to relax in a resort it's very disappointing to received a room that doesn't suit our needs. The check in staff never told us this was an accessible room when we checked in and when we called to complain they didn't really understand what the problem was with an accessible room (it's very awkward to move about with 2 young kids in a bathroom that have a higher toilet, open shower that looks like a shower room in a swimming pool). After our complain they changed our room. I don't understand why they didn't give us the regular room the first place so we didn't have to drag 2 tired jet legged kids around after a long day. They by the way did not cry at all or make any noise during all that commotion of moving room during the night.

They next day I spoke to a manger name Josh about the situation and his response was that the accessible room was part of my room category and it's normal that any guest will get that room. I understand his explanation but I don't' know why they don't inform the guest when they check in so they don't have to find out after they move all the stuff in and have to move again in the middle of the night. He offer to compensate us with a bottle of wine but we declined.

During our 4 nights stay we only spent a few hours at the pool each day and had pool side service. When I checked out I walked up to the front desk and smiled and a staff name Ryan was writing something down and just pointed his index finger up to indicate to me to wait a minute. NO Smile what so ever. I really don't mind waiting b/c it looked like he was trying write down something before he forgot but when he was finish there was no thanking me for waiting at all. He just said " can I help you" I find his service language very rude. When I checked out with him and told him the 10.00 in room coffee charge was incorrect and his reply was "you didn't drink coffee any of the days?" and when I said "no we don't drink coffee" he then question me again " you don't drink coffee". Not until I reply NO for the 3rd time about the coffee then he finally took it off my bill. I don't understand why he thinks I would try to get out of a 10.00 coffee charge when I have a over 2k room bill. After the bill was all settle he wouldn't even say a "thank for staying with us" and just gave me the bill. I felt like there is no appreciation for their guest. I guess they don't really care for vacation guest at this hotel b/c they have so many corporate accounts guest to fill the rooms. If you are on corporate accounts and staying here it would be easier to look past the faults.

The bellboy/ doorman thinks they are too good for the job or the guests (maybe b/c we were driving our rental car and not our nice car). They are not very eager to help and lack welcoming smiles.

The only service personal that was outstanding was the concierge staff who help me with my boarding a pass.

this hotel have a beautiful facility but the customer service is lacking. It's very sad that I went in with low expectation and still get disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank coffee j

It is with great disappointment that I read through the feedback you have kindly taken the time to post here. I would like to extend my apologies that your experience at Pelican Hill has fallen short of your expectations and our goals. We value you as a return guest, and I am troubled to know that your recent visit did not deliver a positive experience for you and your family, as we intend to provide for each of our guests.

At Pelican Hill, we aim to instill the highest levels of service and professionalism in each of our employees, as we continuously strive to exceed guests’ expectations. When we regretfully miss the target, I understand that we can only improve with thoughtful input from our guests, and I want to thank you for providing your detailed comments. I assure you I have taken the time to discuss your feedback with our general manager and front office management teams, so we may improve our overall guest experience.

Once again, I apologize that your experience was less than perfect, and hope that we will have the opportunity to regain your trust and confidence. I would like to take the time to speak with you directly to discuss your feedback in more detail, and will provide my contact details separately in a private message. Thank you again for taking the time to share your candid feedback.

Kind regards,

David Phillips
Director of Rooms
The Resort at Pelican Hill

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed in a 3 bedroom villa for a week. The room itself is incredible. Almost 2200sqft. With 5 million dollar views. The common area in the villa has 2 separate slide away glass walls onto an enormous patio with unobstructed ocean views. Felt like paradise. The villas have a separate pool and clubhouse. We used the butler service more that we thought we would after my 3 year old became "best friend" with our butler. The service level at the property is 2nd to none- great experience. Truly a 'pampered' vacation. 3 months prior I was able to stay in one of the ocean view bungalows, also very nice. All the rooms have huge deep soaking tubs separate marble showers, and huge fireplaces. The beds are the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in. It will be hard to convince me to return to the Montage after experiencing this place.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

The resort at pelican hill is easily one of the nicest resorts I've been to. It's arcitecture is stunning. And it's landscape is breathtaking. You feel like you are in a Italy. The resort is considerably cheaper then competitors starting at $395. No resort fee .An ocean view bungalow is $495. The resort also offers luxerious villas. 2 bedroom is from $595 and 4 bed over $1000. The resort is very spread out so there is lots of walking to do. The pool is stunning but shallow. It is salt water. The food is great, but pricy. The service is good, however I was surprised how cold and impersonal the bellboy was. The room was great. Wonderful design. They are big for standerd rooms, 847 sf. If you are looking for a quiet relaxing getaway, this is definitely the place for you. If you want something closer to the beach, then the nearby Montage is for you. Overall, the Resort at pelican hill is the nicest resort I've ever been to. Even better then the montage. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank hotelsrockk
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Pelican hill resort is the best everything there is perfect! I just loved it there i also liked their lavender and honey ice tea so i think pelican hill is a REALLY GOOD HOTEL! Pelican hill has so many facilities and there rooms are great the have so many lovely pools and great restuarants i really enjoyed it there!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 18 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!