“It is awesome!”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“It is awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Pelican hill resort is the best everything there is perfect! I just loved it there i also liked their lavender and honey ice tea so i think pelican hill is a REALLY GOOD HOTEL! Pelican hill has so many facilities and there rooms are great the have so many lovely pools and great restuarants i really enjoyed it there!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Francesca F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Turkish first
Mountain Brook, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We went to PH on a corporate event but stayed an extra few days on our own following. The facilities are all above first class, and with the right bungalow, the views are magnificent. We thought the food, both at the events and on our own was well above average, but didn't always justify the price, but then that is often the norm at many of the high end spots throughout our travels. The staff was quite accommodating to all of our needs. However, unless you get a real thrill out of paying outlandish prices for mediocre services by snooty folks, avoid the Spa. But would we go back, absolutely, because the over all experience was a real treat.

Room Tip: Request something high enough to get a clear view of the water if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank mmj8444
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is far and away the best resort I have ever set foot in, and to date, the only five star review I have given in spite of having stayed at numerous high end resorts in Europe and North America. As I have stated in reviews prior, there needs to be an objective standard for overall excellence and the Pelican Hill is the archetype from my perspective.

I could have shot three rolls of film documenting the gorgeous detail of our 800 square foot room and the impressive and tasteful buildings that house the restaurants and bars. My girlfriend was ecstatic when she found the robes, bed linens and towels to be of the highest quality and we had our own private, outdoor patio.

Dining was a decadent affair every evening as we sampled the finest Californian vintages - one doesn't need to spend too much, but we were celebrating and frugality was not our priority. Meals were so good that we decided to frequent both of the onsite restaurants multiple times in favour of venturing off the property.

The staff were helpful and offered to drive me wherever I wanted to go, which was usually to the spectacular pool area, which was literally like nothing I had ever imagined.

We rearranged our trip to extend our stay, and although the whole world beckons, we dream of going back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MCYC273HP
tesside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

had the pleasure of staying at Pelican Hill as part of my work.. Everything they do here is top notch. From the moment we checked in to the hotel we were treated so well. Everything here is grand and larger than life, without being really OTT.. The staff treated us with grace and kindness. They even picked something up from the hotel store for me and brought it to my room. The turndown service was beyond compare. Handmade chocolate, slippers .

We ate in the restaurant s and ordered room service the food was delicious .
. The shuttle was where we needed it when we needed it.

Travelling with children we used camp pelican and the children enjoyed the time and activities on offer, again as with everywhere else in the resort the staff were wonderful.

If you are looking for an amazing place, with a fantastic staff in an unbeatable location...this is it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I've been a big fan of The Montage for years, but decided to try PH this time because I was going to be in Corona Del Mar and Newport Beach a lot.
I have to say I'm very surprised by all the 5 star reviews because our experience there was far from perfect. I'd give it 3.5 stars if I could.
We went with a villa and the good news is that is was HUGE and very reasonably priced for the size. We could have easily shared it with another couple (or even two!).
The golf course view was nice, though I'd rather see more of the ocean (largely blocked by trees). I personally didn't like the décor - almost everything was beige or tan and kind of clunky - just not very attractive in my opinion. And surprisingly some of it wasn't in the best shape or of very high quality. A couple cabinets were dinged up, one of the shelves in the bathroom came apart under slight pressure, the curtains in the living room were so narrow that you couldn't cover more than about half the window. But by far the worst thing with the facilities was the horrible TV service which went out four times during our stay - once in the middle of a PPV movie. Extremely frustrating.
So while the size of the villa was 5 stars, the quality of the stay there definitely was not.
Service was very good if a touch hokey and forced.
Food in the restaurants was good, not great, and very expensive.
If the pricing is the same and you don't need to be in North OC, I would highly recommend The Montage over PH. Rooms, food, vibe, views and beach access are SO much better there.
But if you can get a great deal at PH like we did and/or you need the location, it's probably worth giving it a try. Many reviewers obviously loved it - unfortunately not I.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank eh555
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts about your recent visit. Although I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our luxurious Villa accommodations, I’m disappointed to read that your overall experience did not meet your expectations and our goals.

Based upon the thoughtful feedback you have provided, I have taken the time to personally follow up with our Villa management team to address any imperfections you may have encountered during your stay. I apologize for any discontent you may have experienced while visiting the Resort.

As we continuously strive to heighten the guest experience throughout our Five-Star Resort, I want to thank you for sharing your candid feedback. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you again soon.

Kind regards,

Giuseppe Lama
Managing Director
Houston, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at The Resort at Pelican Hill twice in the past 12 months. Both visits have been outstanding experiences. The 2 golf courses are simply spectacular and the golf operation is first rate with fore caddies included with each round. The resort itself is beautiful and very well run. Rooms are in bungalow buildings that run along the ridge lines on the hills. The rooms are quite large and include gas burning fireplaces and large patios. I have eaten in all 3 restaurants and the food is consistently very good. My wife said the spa is top notch. This is a great long weekend get away spot particularly for couples and families. You see a lot of families here enjoying the large pool area. It is only a 15 minute drive from Orange County airport. This is a spot you will want to come back to again and again.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wineandfoodfan
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Pelican Hill Resort is a perfect getaway for just a day or an extended stay. Conveniently located along the Pacific Coast between Newport Beach and Laguna Beach, it is a great base for seeing many of the sights of Southern California. It's a short drive to Disneyland and just over an hour to Los Angeles.
The resort itself is not located directly on the beach but across Pacific Coast Highway in the hills facing the ocean. The views are stunning from many of the public areas of the resort and the restaurants. What a pleasure to wake up to a beautiful ocean view from our bungalow. Now when you hear the word bungalow you may think of a rather small accommodation which certainly doesn't apply to the bungalows at Pelican Hill. The room is very large with high vaulted ceilings, an enormous bathroom and beautifully appointed furnishings. The entire resort is large. So large in fact that in order to move around the resort you are transported by complimentary shuttle from your room to the various facilities on the property.
The level of service at the resort 6 star. Everyone is beyond friendly and accommodating. A very warm welcoming feeling was felt throughout our stay.
The food is amazing!! Our dinner at The Pelican Grill was perfection from their signature cocktails to the last morsel of my filet mignon and crab tater tot.
I think the resort is best for couples or families who don't require a lot of activities to keep themselves busy. Great for golfers but the lack of tennis courts left me a bit puzzled and surprised for a resort of this size.
We are already looking forward to our next visit

Room Tip: The ocean view bungalows are perfection.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#2 of 17 in Newport Beach
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,360 reviews
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!