“Phenomenal”

Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed in a two bedroom villa from February 9 through February 15, 2013. The villa was extremely comfortable. The butler, Barry was very accommodating. The entire staff was excellent. I would not hesitate to go back. I also stayed in the Four Seasons Scottsdale and Ritz Carlton Palm Beach. Pelican Hill was the best out of the three. I would rate them Pelican Hill First Four Seasons Second and Ritz Carlton a very distant third.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here this past Saturday at a bungalow suite to celebrate my husbands birthday. We had the best resort experience ever.
I don't know why anyone would give a rating less than 5 for this resort. Every thing you can think of of what you would expect of a 5 star resort they had. The thing that stood out the most, amongst a lot of others, was service. Everyone that worked had a great attitude, with happy smiles, willing and ready to make our stay the most pleasant.
We were amazed on how beautiful this resort is. We at the Coliseum grill and had beer, salads, and sandwiches. It was just a perfect lunch with great service and a spectacular view of the beach.
Our room was so cozy. Loved the comfy bedding and dreamy pillows. Loved the flat screen, surround sound, luxurious bath, wide screen doors and shutters, mini bar, and privacy.
Husband was so impressed by this booking that he insists I book our future hotels lol.
However, I don't know if I will ever get this lucky again.

This hotel and staff is truly a class act. I highly recommend. If you have any questions, concerns, request, or recommendations, just ask them. I did, and they did it with pleasure :)

Room Tip: I had room 162 which I really liked bc it was really private, it had no ocean view but it gave u gre...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Overall, I have always been a big fan of the Resort at Pelican Hill. The location is superb, amenities top-notch and rooms a nice retreat. The staff here are also tremendously helpful and nice. I just finished a stay here recently and was disappointed in my stay only because as I went to take a shower this morning, there was a clump of dried hair stuck in the corner. I was a little repulsed, felt that I was in an unsanitary shower and did not expect this type of an oversight from such a luxurious property. While I overall think this property is great, I was and am disappointed at this lack of cleanliness.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jkcarnah
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to read that your experience was less than perfect, especially knowing that you have enjoyed visiting Pelican Hill so much in the past.

It is our highest priority to deliver cleanliness throughout the Resort and I apologize for the unfortunate oversight you encountered. Please know this is the exception, not the rule, and I have taken the time to follow up with our housekeeping management team to address the concerns you have kindly detailed here.

As we continuously strive to heighten service levels throughout the Resort, your thoughtful feedback is valued. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you.

Kind regards,

Giuseppe Lama
Managing Director

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Wonderful hotel, Staff is A.T. The spa was great the bar looking over at the mountains was beautiful. Staff could not be nicer. This hotel better then the Ritz or Four Seasons. Spa was great clean and they knew what they where doing.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed in a double queen bed bungalow for 3 nights while on business. The grounds of the hotel is very large, and depending where your room is located, require a car/golf cart to get around (parking was convenient; spaces right outside the room). The pool and cabanas are absolutely beautiful, as is the spa. Service was, for the most part, excellent. The only recommendation that I would make to the hotel is the front desk service. On the day that I checked in (2/4), the gentleman assisting me at the front desk was not overly hospitable, did not attempt to engage me, and did not try to explain the property, the location of the pool, spa, where breakfast is served, what the hotel offered, etc. Standard stuff at other luxury properties, and given the size of the hotel itself, necessary.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Snowman321
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We are currently staying at the Pelican Hill resort in Newport Beach, CA. We have a bungalow overlooking the Pacific Ocean. I was hoping for a room that faced the afternoon sun which #227 has just this plus the view. It is very nice. It has a nice large deck with lounge chairs to catch some California sun. I have walked down to the Crystal Cove State Park each morning for a very relaxing walk on the beach. The park is located exactly 1 mile from our bungalow. The walk back up to our bungalow is all up hill but it is a good workout.

I mentioned to our bartender at the Colieseum bar that our mini fridge in our room was in need of getting restocked and i asked him who I should call for this. He immediately took it upon himself to call for us and take care of it. When we returned back to our room later that afternoon, the mini bar was restocked and we were happy.

Randy at the Concierge desk was very helpful in making dinner reservations for us. He was very professional and took great care of us.

We have stayed at the Ritz Carlton's and Four Seasons but I would have to say that I like Pelican Hill the best. I love the intimate quiet rooms and that we can park our car right outside our door.

If you are debating on staying here or not... just go and book it. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This is a magnificent property and the service levels on the property are very good. The only thing I would advise is to keep expectations in line when booking an "OCEAN VIEW" room. We were assigned room #104 which is closest to the top (right by the entrance gate) and thus the view is at best, a partial ocean view (in the distant corner).

When we commented back on the website comment form, we never heard back. Finally, upon receiving numerous promotional emails, I finally had to call and ask why we never heard back from the comment form which was submitted TWICE.

No real good answer. They apologized...offered us an upgrade the next time we chose to visit.

Just keep expectations in line when it comes to the view. They don't categorize their rooms as partial or full ocean views...just ocean views.

Room Tip: Room 104 is a PARTIAL (at best!) OCEAN view...nothing at all like the website images that show full...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BLTG
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visit. I’m delighted to hear that you enjoyed our Italian seaside village along the coast of Newport Beach, but regret that your accommodations did not meet your expectations. I understand your disappointment in the communication from our staff and have taken the time to personally follow up with our team to address your concerns.

Once again, I regret that your Bungalow stay was less than perfect and appreciate you taking the time to post your candid feedback. We look forward to another opportunity to serve you. Please contact me directly if I could be of assistance as you plan your next visit.

Kind regards,

#7 of 18 in Newport Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#6 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!