The Resort at Pelican Hill
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We are headed back to Pelican Hill this Thanksgiving after a fabulous trip last year...we felt very special from the moment we arrived. The service was impeccable in every department, everyday we were there. I have not a single negative comment !

We stayed in the 2 bedroom villa with a full kitchen so we could still have a home cooked Thanksgiving dinner with leftovers. Beds, linens etc were plush...2 car garage and sunny balcony/patio. We do wait for the specials they run several times a year which makes it affordable for our family.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank greenchili21
Write a ReviewReviews (1,587)

Reviewed October 11, 2012

I was there on a girls's golf trip. We stayed in a Bungalow - very spacious and well-appointed. Very comfortable beds. Great service. This is not a "hotel" property - it's villas and bungalows which makes it special. YOu need to call for a car or golf cart if you don't want to walk too much (e.g. golf course is across the street and a bit of a hike). Little things annoyed me as I travel a lot - e.g. $10 for a small bag of coffee beans. For this price, the coffee beans for the in-room coffee maker ought to be included . . .come on Pelican. Internet was included so that was nice, but to charge $10 for a small bag of beans . .. Very expensive but very nice. There are also other greawt options in this area - Dana Point & Laguna.

Room Tip: We had a garden view - ask for a non-interior room (one people can't look into from the other bu...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Lauren H
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed on a Friday night with a few friends as a small getaway. Booked a garden bungalow suite (#157 on Via Assisi) and really regretted not getting an ocean view ONLY because I loved the garden bungalow so much.

Service:
Impeccable and very impressive. Pulled into the lobby in my little Altima (one day I'll roll in with the Bentley like everyone else) and was greeted very warmly by an attendant. Told him I wanted to grab my keys quickly, since I had another engagement right after check-in. After getting the keys to the room, my car was right where I left it, and another attendant led me up to the room in a golf cart. Even offered to carry my one bag and seemed genuinely interested in helping (and not for the tip!). I also requested a late check-out of 1pm and also it being done via phone, which they both happily obliged to!

Bungalow:
One of the TVs had a weird buzzing noise, and one of the fireplace wasn't working. Called Hospitality Services on the phone, and a tech arrived within 7 minutes to fix it. The room matched the pictures on the site, but the high vaulted ceilings and the feeling of it being 'your own' can only be experienced once you're there. I left for the evening and returned to chocolates on the beds and the sofa bed all set up and ready to be slept on. Not having to request that was just such a nice touch!

The patio was such a wonderful and big area to relax with friends. Not too mention being able to open the sliding glass doors, so my friends could move about freely. Late night drinks and early morning breakfast were perfect thanks to this.

Location:
We were next to the main road and can definitely attest that it's not bad. Noise wasn't distracting when outside. There were a couple loud motorcycles and cars in the afternoon when I checked in, but you can't hear it at all once the doors are shut. The garden view is cute with hummingbirds buzzing around, and at night, I was able to see city lights far off in the distance. Definitely getting an ocean view next time, so I can really get absorbed in the whole getaway aspect of my next trip.

Other notes:
You get 2 parking spots (at least for the bungalow suites)
Night time sky views are amazing. It's worth hanging out on the patio!

For the budget conscious:
Bring your own coffee beans or instant coffee and tea. Room has a combo grinder/coffee maker and creamers and sugar
Shuttle rides to the pool and other areas are complimentary
Bring bagels for breakfast. There's a toaster in the room.

What I wish they had:
Jawbone Jambox or some other speaker system that I could wirelessly send music to or dock my iPhone or iPad to.
An easy to find outlet or 'device charging area'. We had 4 iPhones and an iPad that needed a 'homebase'
Blankets designed for using out in the patio
Mini fire pit in the patio (yes, that's how much I loved it)

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed this past weekend for two nights. The man who checked us in was just OK. He did not confirm dates of stay or room type and didn't follow certain 'five diamond' standards that I expect an agent at this caliber of resort to hit. I give the check in process two stars.

The valet who took us to our bungalow made up for his coworker's uninterested attitude. Gave us a run down of the room and some of the amenities and features of the property. Was a happy, friendly young man and we appreciated him giving us such a warm welcome!

As for the room itself it was beautiful. Very high, vaulted ceiling and very spacious. Our bungalow had an ocean view and golf course view. :) Pretty grounds that are VERY well taken care of! The wall outlets were a bit oddly placed. None near the desk. Had to plug my phone in and set it on the floor behind a chair. Also, in the bathroom, the plugs are located on the side of the counter. Awkward design. Shower head wasn't the best I've ever seen. Bathtub was devine. Beds were uncomfortable! What a disappointment THAT was! Pillows were heavenly though and the robe was nice to snuggle in after a relaxing bath.

Dim the lights, turn on the fireplace and pour the wine!

Ate dinner at the Coliseum restaurant. The location by the pool with a view of the sunset is great! As for the shrimp scampi.... Nothing memorable about that. :( Swimming in the pool was relaxing as ever and the pool attendants are nearby always waiting for you to signal them to assist you with any need! :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank BBCdM
Reviewed October 7, 2012

If your looking for a true indulging weekend get away, pricey but fabulous consider Pelican Hill Villas. We went to get away for a weekend after a very busy summer. As soon as we made our reservation, we were contacted by Jessica Ellis who was so incredibly punctual, patient and HELPFUL. She was flexible with my constantly changing mind and even equipped our villa with martini glasses, martini shakers, appetizers and much more for a last minute cocktail party we hosted with local friends!! She really set up the vibe for the rest of our fabulous trip!

Took Friday off of work, went early to take advantage of the resort. From the minute we arrived at 10:30am, to the departure on Sunday- we had the most enjoyable long weekend we have had in a LONG time. The cost is worth it. We knew going early our villa would most likely not be ready since check in time was 4pm, but we wanted to enjoy the pool and villa clubhouse. When we pulled up, we were greeted with a smile by Valet James, who despite our numerous trips back and forth to the car was always warm and gracious.

At check in, we were placed in the capable hands of Casey Rodgers. He firmed up reservations for us at exclusive Piccolo for dinner, set up a cabana, encouraged us to spend our day relaxing, suggested lunch at the coliseum, and made us feel welcomed right away even though our villa was not ready. He showed us the locker room (ridiculously clean and luxurious!!), pool and where to hang and eat. He is great at his job and the man to see as soon as you step foot inside the villa clubhouse. (And quite the looker, ladies!)

Since our villa was not ready we opted for a cabana by the pool which was perfect to store our things, get some drinks and start relaxing. The pool staff was great and always ready to help. Carey by the pool is the man to see for a perfect spot and took great care of us. We did head down to the coliseum and caught a shuttle ride with Shane, a great shuttle driver who answered my million questions about the property on the way to lunch.

When we got to our villa, I will be honest, I was speechless. And so was my husband. Great view, well stocked, comfortable, clean, plush linens, just simply perfect. The villa came with butler service 24 hours, our butler Kevin Grainey saw to our every need. (Hopefully you will be able to meet this butler! He is delightful!!) We were so comfortable in our villa within a few minutes, we truly felt like it was our home.

Dinner at Piccolo was so much fun and fabulous- don't miss it. I have to say that that the manager, Jon Yeung was truly engaging, warm, had a smile that lit up the whole room and capped off the whole experience- a perfect weekend. His recommendations for plates were always on point! It is a dinning experience, great concept and unlike anything around this area for dinner. Villa Manager Michael Berrio stopped by our table and introduced himself to our group. We had no complaints to even mention to him, as everything was perfect but it was so nice of him to take time to check in with guests.

The view, the villa, the food, the service, the weekend- it was absolutely perfect and so relaxing. Truly worth the price and no wonder it is ranked #1. As you can tell, I really feel as though the service made the resort. The names I have mentioned are shining star employees, they made my experience. This is my first post on trip advisor, I had to spread the word!!! We will be going back, without a doubt. I miss it already.

Room Tip: When booking, ask for maximum view, also if with a family, close to a clubhouse would be prefect.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LPBurdett
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We were fortunate enough to snag a great package on Expedia for the Pelican Hill. This resort is a beautiful property, and allowed us to shop and explore many of the nearby attractions. The bungalow rooms are so spacious and well appointed. Service was outstanding throughout the property - we especially enjoyed the complimentary rides around the resort if we didn't feel like walking. The pool area is large and gorgeous. We also were able to take advantage of the workout classes which were taught by great instructors. Overall, a wonderful experience and a chance to feel pampered!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This is a wonderful top notch resort with a excellent accommodating staff (seriously, they've been trained very well). Location is great, wish it was a little closer to the beach, but secluded and yet close enough all the activity. This was our first time to So Cal, and we'll be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#6 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to The Resort at Pelican Hill? Share your experiences!