The Resort at Pelican Hill
Newport Beach Hotel(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$345
$235
  • Breakfast included
Renaissance Newport Beach Hotel(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$142
Renaissance Hotels
  • Restaurant
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$194
$164
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Newport Channel Inn(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$129
Hotel Solarena, BW Premier Collection(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$182
$169
  • Breakfast included
Fashion Island Hotel Newport Beach(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$275
$189
  • Pool
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$212
$206
Travelocity
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$209
$199
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Balboa Bay Resort(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$301
$282
Priceline
1,650 results
All reviewscoliseum poolvilla poolgolf coursebutler serviceocean view bungalowcoliseum restaurantround poolnorth villasandrea restaurantthree bedroomgolf clubgelatogas fireplacesquare feetprivate patiothe ritzpool service
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Attended a conference and have been thoroughly impressed! It is a large and spread out resort, but shuttles are readily available and if you are lucky, you might get a Bentley. Top notch service at every venue. Gorgeous views, super clean, just a special place to be!

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed September 19, 2011

I was expecting poor service after reading some of the reviews and what I found could not have been different. The resort was by far full so you would expect sparse staff but there were friendly, helpful, smiling staff at every turn. All the front door staff, housekeeping and room service staff were efficient and friendly. When room service was delivered, they inquired when when you would like the tray picked up, and then picked it up at that time. The "privacy" sign was on the door when housekeeping came to do turn down and we were left a message to call if we needed anything at all. Restaurants were good (although at $90.00 for two, the weekend breakfast buffet while good, was perhaps a little expensive) and service prompt. Only the bar/lounge staff need some help, they do indeed seem to feel it is an imposition to serve. Encountered the same attitude on 5 seperate visits and with various staff.

We were in a bungalow, great view, we really appreciate the landscaping that allows a very private feeling. Terrace is large and well set up.

All in all a great stay. Also had a spa visit, amber gold massage, divine!

Room Tip: Seems that the bungalow's all have ocean view and are private.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank daffyone
Reviewed September 19, 2011

This hotel was amazing. We had a suite with an ocean view and it was huge! My husband loved how everything was made with quality wood, marble, etc. The high ceilings were fantastic as were the 2 fireplaces. The staff was really friendly and accommodating. I liked that they had a little cafe that opened at 7am so you didn't need to order expensive room service every morning. I just walked there for my bagel. The gym was big and clean with a yoga room. The coliseum pool was breathtaking - the staff here could do better. You had to flag them down to get served, but not the end of the world. The beach shuttle was great. Dropped us off right at the Beachcomber and gave us a bag with towels, water and sunscreen - great perk. I used the spa and while it was amazing, they automatically added a 22% gratuity. I thought that was a bit presumtuous as I never tip that much unless the person is amazing. I brought it down to 20% before I left. I told them what I thought too - and the lady said that the computer automatically adds it in. That didn't leave me with the best impression. But, overall, we had an amazing stay. The beds are super comfortable too. I highly recommend this for a special occaision.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are probably great.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

The first time we stayed here, Pelican Hill had only been open a short period of time...and we actually loved it so much more then. Now that the resort is busy, the deficiencies in staff and service are very apparent. The physical property (grounds, rooms, public spaces, spa, golf, restaurants, pool) are all beautifully designed and well-maintained and that is why this resort gets such high marks. The rooms are large and well appointed. Most food at the restaurants is very good. The spa is large and feels like a real destination retreat...you could just spend hours relaxing in there. There is nothing critical to be said about the physical property other than the lack of direct beach access...the developers did a very nice job and the property is gorgeous. Pelican Hill has all of the qualities needed to be a five star resort...but just misses the mark.

The biggest issue is that you can't have a five star resort without an Adults Only pool & we will not return until they add one. The Coliseum pool was a kid fest every day with kids running around, shreaking and screaming and jumping. Amazing how un-self aware parents can be about how annoying their kids are. Even worse, babies and toddlers wearing diapers were in the pool!! So disgusting!! A total nightmare. The service at the pool was terrible and inconsistent every day. The pool servers are young (college kids) and very inexperienced in luxury service. We rented a cabana three days (to get away from some of the obnoxious kids and their parents) and the first day, we never received the fresh fruit bowl that is included with the price. Other days, it was hard to get service at the cabana because the pool staff was too busy running around on the main level. At checkout, our bill did not reflect the discount on food that we were supposed to receive for renting a cabana.

The waitstaff at the restaurant for breakfast was horrendous every day we ate there so we started going into town for breakfast instead. The first morning, our waiter was a young blond guy who couldn't have been ruder...or more inefficient. Toast delivered long after eggs were almost consumed and had to ask 10 times for salt & pepper. Never asked us how our meal was, never said thank you. We later learned he was a member of the pool staff covering for the restaurant staff because 5 people had called in sick that morning. Not only did he not have a clue on how to deliver five star service, he doesn't work well under pressure. They will never achieve true five star status with people like this on their team.

We found it disturbing that there was no security to prevent people who were not hotel guests from accessing the section of the resort where the rooms are located. There is a round building at the entrance to this area but it was never staffed, we were never stopped and asked to identify ourselves, and they didn't put any type of tag on the dash of our car to identify us as hotel guests. So, anyone off the street can drive up to the rooms, break into your car or even your room.

Housekeeping didn't replenish the extra roll of toilet paper so we had to call and request it. One night, we didn't eat the chocolates they left at turn down and put them on our nightstand. The next day, housekeeping actually reused the same box rather than leaving a 2nd box...cheap and tacky. Concierge staff was very nice and friendly...but wasn't able to obtain tickets to a local art show. Some staff members were very nice...other staff members were not...inconsistent throughout the resort.

We love the property and were so excited to return there but we didn't love the service deficiencies this time. Pelican Hill needs to be more selective with the staff they hire if they want to be the best.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank bls213
PelicanHillResort, General Manager at The Resort at Pelican Hill, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

I kindly thank you for taking the time to share your valuable input about your recent experience at Pelican Hill. I appreciate you choosing to stay with us again and am delighted to read your positive feedback about the property’s design and maintenance.

It is our goal to provide the best possible experience and exceptional service for every guest, especially during our busy summer season. For this reason, I sincerely regret the unfortunate circumstances you encountered during your visit to the Coliseum Pool, in one of our restaurants, and in your accommodation.

As we continually strive to improve our service delivery throughout the Resort, I have recently followed up to discuss these items with our Director of Food & Beverage, Director of Housekeeping and Pool Supervisor. Rest assured, the entire Resort team remains passionately dedicated to consistently providing unparalleled personalized service to each and every guest.

At Pelican Hill, the safety of our guests and staff is extremely important. We maintain the highest standards of safety and security to ensure a comfortable and stress-free experience. To this end, we offer a gated enclave of private Villas, as well as Bungalow guest rooms as accommodation choices for guests.

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts regarding your recent stay at Pelican Hill. Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Giuseppe Lama
Managing Director

Reviewed September 17, 2011

I stayed in a two bedroom villa for several weeks. What a luxurious treat. The staff was flawless, absolutely made me believe they took pleasure in providing a beyond expectations experience for my family. Impeccably clean, luxurious linens and comfortable beds - awesome bath products, incredible spa - great robes, sauna, steam, jacuzzi - villa pool and jacuzzi were outstanding. Fitness Center was first class. GORGEOUS views of Catalina and the ocean, sunsets to die for. The great room was so comfy - we settled right in. The gourmet kitchen was wonderful - we cooked in most nights, though there were so many wonderful restaurants to try we ventured out. Love the little cafe for coffee and gelato. This was a very healing place - I cannot recommend it highly enough! I cried when we had to leave.

Room Tip: IF you stay in a two bedroom villa ask for the top floor, and request a villa with a view of Catalina.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family