“More beer and bacon specials!”

Newport Landing Sportfishing
Book In Advance
More Info
$41.50*
and up
Half-Day Deep Sea Fishing Trip from Newport Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Providing year round whale watching cruises multiple times daily. View giant blue whales, finback whales, humpback whales, and many more. Whale watching is so good cruises are just 2-2.5 hours in length. One of the best whale watching environments lies in the protected marine park located just south of Newport Bay. Newport Landing also offers general admission deep sea fishing excursions daily choose from half day and full day options. Fish coastal waters or offshore islands such as Catalina Island. Hundreds of fish caught per trip is norm. Over 2 dozen species possible. Along with general admission cruises/trips choose from large selection of ships for rentals for all types of activities from whale watching, sunset cruises, holiday parties, fishing excursions, and many other events. Ships can accommodate from small groups to a group of 149 persons one just one of our ships.
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Capt sat a little too long on a spot when we should of moved to a better spot. He did find a better spot later on and we scored. Was a slow day and fish were real picky. Had to trick people in my party to get sick so we could chum and it worked like a charm. Great deck hands. They really go out of their way to help you with tangles and setups. Highly recommend!

All reviews
"yellow tail"
"half day trip"
"monkfish"
"tackle"
"pole"
"charter"

Reviewed April 30, 2013

We enjoyed our 1/2 day fishing trip off the coast of Newport. We caught our limit of 10 fish between the two of us. Everyone on board caught fish. The captain moved the boat around a few times when the area was fished out. The crew butchered our fish for us to take home. We ate lunch onboard from the grill. The food was good, and everything tastes better when you're out at sea. We've taken many 1/2 day fishing trips: Oceanside (no fish), Dana Point (turned into a whale watching trip), and Morro Bay (the best trip ever; drop your line-snag a fish!). This one was second only to Morro Bay. We'll definitely go again.

3  Thank Phoenix H
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have been fishing with Newport Landing several times a year for the last 10 years. Sometimes the fishing is great and sometimes the fishing sucks. Every time, the crew is professional, the boat is clean, and Captains keep everybody safe and as comfortable as possible. I am shocked at some of these reviews on here complaining about not catching fish. Fishing is never a sure thing. The captain's job is to get you the best opportunity possible to catch fish, based on conditions, bait, season, currents, etc. These guys do that every single time and they do it well. The two most common mistakes I've seen made by people on these boats are unrealistic expectations and not listening to the deck hands. Don't expect amazing customer service from ANY fishing boat. They are Outdoorsmen. Tough guys. There job is ridiculously demanding physically. They are often a bit gruff. There job is not to pamper you on a luxury cruise, there job is to get you on the fish. If you want amazing customer service, charter a private fishing boat for $2,000 and bring an ice chest full of wine and cheese.
Most of the time, the people not catching fish are the people that won't listen to the deck hands. Your best bet, by far, is to be honest with those guys, and tell them you are not a pro and would really appreciate some help. They are out there every day and they know all the tricks. I have been fishing all my life and I still learn something new from these guys every single time.
Keep your expectations low, plan on greasy food and gruff crew, and loosen up and enjoy yourself. Roughing it with some tough guys is a fun adventure and there is always something to learn. At the end of the trip, give these guys a gratuity and tell them thanks. They work harder than almost any of us. Newport Landing is the best way to go. They are the best landing in Orange County by far and if you don't like the experience with them, you are not going to like it with anyone. Trust me, they are the best.

4  Thank 283bruceb
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I go out on 1-3 fishing trips a month with Newport landing and am always very satisfied with my experience. The crew are helpful and knowledgeable and the captaims do their best to find fish each and every trip.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 9, 2013

First off Easter Sunday was a very dissapointing sportfishing trip. The boat had left about 30 mins later than scheduled. Ride out wasn't too bad. We had hit our fist stop. Sans dab city.... Exciting for 2 mins shouldn't have been over then For half the trip... I think the captain was more into the tourist aspect than the anglers repeating business. In the end the trip was not worth it captian turned back early because he had a whale watching group going out behind US... Us anglers spend just as much or if not more on these sport fishing trips. Remeber captain getting skimmed isn't bad... If u try. And further deck hands.... I know it gets tough out there with all these people crossing lines, not knowing what they are doing , or be it a language barrier is in the way, but if I spend $60 to go fishing and just ask for one plastic bag, I don't expect to be told no for a bag, its pretty ridiculous . And I think that's what pushed me to write this review. So to the captian and the crew on the patriot at newport landing. The expierence was dull and boring, and customer satisfaction is lacking. Oh and also ur reports didn't match correctly with ur boat count for the day. So stop lying about what was caught.
Hopefullly you will be an honest bunch again. Until then I bid Newport landing a good bye and good luck. Please go back to the old ways ... Get the gaff!!