“Foggy day but still some action”
Review of Davey's Locker

and up
Whale-Watching Cruise from Newport Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Davey's Locker offers year round whale watching cruises multiple times daily. Whale watching cruises are from 2-2.5 hours in length and view giant blue whales, finback whales, humpback whales, gray whales, huge pods of common and bottlenose dolphin, and much more. 96% success rate speaks to how good the whale watching is off of Newport Beach. The whale watching was so good that a marine park wss created to protect over 15 miles of coastal waters so that future generations will enjoy this amazing treasure. Davey's Locker has two ships built just for whale watching. The Legacy & the Ocean Explorer. Each has many special amenities and the most talented captains to ensure for amazing experience. Davey's Locker also provides deep sea fishing trips aboard one of our several sportfishing ships offering trips daily year round. Choose from 5 hour, 10 hour and longer fishing trip options. Ships have huge bait tanks, indoor seating and kitchen areas, outdoor sun decks/seating, crew members to assist throughout your trip and the best fishing captains in California. Fish Catalina Island and many other fishing hotspots. From tuna, dorado, yellowtail, halibut, barracuda, and over dozen dozen other species possible. Along with general admission trips private ship rentals for all types of functions and activities are available. Ships have many amenities including two decks, large indoor salons, full bar, full sound systems, and much more.
Reviewed April 11, 2014

It was foggy the morning we took this tour. The harbor is beautiful and the staff on the boat were most courteous. No whales this day but plenty of sea lions and seals to get pictures of. Received a free voucher to return since we didn't see any whales. Highly recommend this trip.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"snack bar"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Been a few times, prices are so reasonable. It is great, any time we are in Newport we go. Have always been so lucky to see so many whales, dolphins, seals. Love it, nothing like seeing a whale jump from the water, and watching dolphins play is the surf from the boat, amazing!!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Unfortunately the boat only had one speaker and it was in the front, we didn't know this and chose seats on the side of the boat. We saw lots of whales, but I don't know a single thing about the area or the wildlife because I didn't hear a word of the tour. I complained but they didn't seem to care, and insisted there were more speakers.

Advice: Parking and traffic is terrible!!!!!! Allow plenty of time to deal with both, there's plenty to explore if you get there early.

Reviewed March 19, 2014

Do not buy the upgrade VIP captain's quarters. When booking, we spoke with a woman and she told us we'd have our own private viewing of whales along with privacy in the captain's quarters. My kids were small, and rather than be trampled, we figured this would be the best option. NOT! People crowded all around the front end of the boat. Not to mention a few people randomly poking their heads inside the cabin.

I don't mind roughing it up, but I prefer to not subject my daughters to the same. We couldn't see through the people alongside the boat as they were blocking the windows. Luckily, we were able to squeeze through an area on the side. However, for this viewing, we might as well have just purchased regular tickets.

It was quite the fee (I think $60 per person) when we could have paid $16 for the same views. I don't blame the captain or crew. They were very pleasant. We had Kane, Slater, and Chris. They seem to have a good relationship and have fun with each other. Slater has some amazing photos he takes, so be sure to grab a glimpse.

I am upset, however, with the woman I spoke to on the phone for misleading us. Not what I expected at all. She was very misleading and I wish I could remember her name so I could put her on blast here on TripAdvisor.

I didn't ask for a refund or anything. I don't know that we would have received one. We just figured not to do this again in the future.

Suggestions for Davey's Locker:

#1. Don't mislead people. It's bad for business. Just be honest about what to expect.

#2. For VIP, allow early entry and exit. Not that big a deal, but it would make people feel rather "VIP".

#3. Allow a viewing area for VIP's from the Captain's cabin. Maybe rope off an area on either side and in the front or something.

1  Thank Brandon E