“Breathtaking Amazing Trip!!”

$71.00*
Full-Day Deep-Sea Fishing Cruise from Newport Beach
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Davey's Locker offers year round whale watching cruises multiple times daily. Whale watching cruises are from 2-2.5 hours in length and view giant blue whales, finback whales, humpback whales, gray whales, huge pods of common and bottlenose dolphin, and much more. 96% success rate speaks to how good the whale watching is off of Newport Beach. The whale watching was so good that a marine park wss created to protect over 15 miles of coastal waters so that future generations will enjoy this amazing treasure. Davey's Locker has two ships built just for whale watching. The Legacy & the Ocean Explorer. Each has many special amenities and the most talented captains to ensure for amazing experience. Davey's Locker also provides deep sea fishing trips aboard one of our several sportfishing ships offering trips daily year round. Choose from 5 hour, 10 hour and longer fishing trip options. Ships have huge bait tanks, indoor seating and kitchen areas, outdoor sun decks/seating, crew members to assist throughout your trip and the best fishing captains in California. Fish Catalina Island and many other fishing hotspots. From tuna, dorado, yellowtail, halibut, barracuda, and over dozen dozen other species possible. Along with general admission trips private ship rentals for all types of functions and activities are available. Ships have many amenities including two decks, large indoor salons, full bar, full sound systems, and much more.
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

Went on the 230 whale watching cruise yesterday with Captain Larry and crew. He didn't think the common dolphins were enough to see so he followed his gut and brought us out a long ways only to find a grey whale cow and yearling!! We left port late so he kept us out a bit late to make up for it..and he sure did! We found a huge pod of dolphins that jumped right along the boat and in our wake and sea lions just chilling on the marker. And we can't say enough about the sunset...absolutely breathtaking. He even let my John Deere crazy daughter get a picture of the galley where everything is John Deere!! Thank you Captain Larry...you deserve a raise!! From: the freezing cold Minnesotans

2  Thank torrerizor

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Came here to whale watch and I found a coupon off their website. $16 for weekdays. $22 on weekends. The coupon fails to say there's a surchage of $3.25 for gas.

To go whale watching, you need to make reservations in advance or you can go on stand by. We went on the Western Pride which isn't the best looking boat, but it gets the job done. There is limited seating on the boat so try to be the first one in line. I stood pretty much the whole time, but oh well. They serve snacks on the lower deck so bring your own snacks on the boat. It took a while for us to actually see whales, but towards the end of our trip we saw whales coming in and out of the water. Our captain was too hilarious because he was getting irate at other boats who were going over the tops of the whales. I was hoping to see dolphins as well, but maybe next time.

2  Thank kisssmee
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Every November, for the past 5 years, I have visited the LA / Long Beach area of Southern California and every year I book a whale watch tour through Davey's Locker in Newport Beach (near Balboa Pier). Although November is not a peak viewing season, we have seen a few whales and always see dolphin. This year we took the 10 a.m. tour on a recent Thursday on The Ocean Explorer. We usually park in the Balboa Pier Parking lot which I believe cost us $7-$8. The Davey's Locker building is just a short walk from the parking lot. Along the was is a bakery, which is a nice stop if you don't allow time for breakfast. This year I had free passes which we received last year after purchasing a whale watch DVD from Captain Larry.

Although this was probably the largest number of passengers compared to past trips, it was not crowded. This trip also included a gentleman in a wheelchair. Although he Ocean Explorer is not really handicapped accessible, a gentleman in a wheelchair managed to board with the assistance of the crew. I personally always get a seat inside so I can sit comfortably during the non-eventful part of the trip and I can also set my things down safely. There is a snack bar and a toilet inside as well.

When there is a possible sighting, I head outside with my camera and usually stay on the main deck. There is an upper deck, but I'm not a fan of going up there.

This year we cruised north along the coast line with our young Captain searching for whales; however, we only saw dolphin.....however, we saw several species of dolphin! The official count is 50 Common Dolphin, 40 Bottlenosed Dolphin, 10 Offshore Bottlenosed Dolphin and 10 Risso's Dolphin. The crew were just as excited as we were. The Bottlenosed Dolphin were the most entertaining.

Upon returning to the harbor approximately 2 1/2 hours later and disembarking, we received 1/2 off coupons for future use. We also tipped the crew for their hard work.

This is definitely a worthwhile activity for everyone.

1  Thank GoingSomewhereAgain
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We went on a trip in October, we saw lots of dolphins and lots of sea lions but were disappointed with the trip as we felt it was just a boat trip. There didn't seem to be any explanation as to what type of dolphins we were looking at. I would have liked some knowledge of the wildlife we were looking at, what we were looking out for in terms of whale spotting etc.
also if you aren't the first in the boat you will not get seating and then will spend the whole trip stood up and with not a lot of explanation we just found this an average boat trip.
We did get given a voucher for 50% off another visit as we didn't see any whales but as we were on vacation didn't feel like we wanted to waste more time on a trip where it just seemed like they wanted to take you on a boat trip and not spend any time making it enjoyable or memorable.
The only good thing was we didn't pay the full price in the first place! Make sure you take a voucher with you from the internet! A good tip we found on trip advisor!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

The luck of the draw, someone has to not see whales, must have been my turn :). We did see hundreds of dolphins and some sleeping Sea Lions and their babies. The crew was nice and answered all questions. This was bought thru Travel zoo. Went to get free drinks and since the lady in front did not give us a ticket for them we had to pay. Had a good ride and met some nice people.

1  Thank 923JimM923