“Ants, Noise and Yuck.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Dana Point, California
“Ants, Noise and Yuck.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We chose this hotel because we were in town for a wedding, and the happy couple were staying there, too. When we emailed the hotel about a wedding rate based on the couple's names, we never received a reply. That should have been the only warning required. We initially booked at the Bay Club, but found a slightly (and I mean SLIGHTLY) lower rate at the Balboa a week prior to our stay. We cancelled the Bay Club and reserved a "deluxe king room" at the Balboa.
The staff was incredibly nice and helpful. They were very friendly and we have not a negative word to stay about the staff. That being said...the website for the hotel (which I always check before booking through a third party) stated there was underground parking for guests. We could find no parking allotted to the hotel at all. My husband drove around in circles while I checked in and got information for parking. As it turns out, I was told guests either park catch-as-catch-can in a municipal lot or pay $35 daily for valet. The Balboa is literally yards from Balboa beach and pier, so the parking is a nightmare (especially on weekends) and the salt air eats up your car pretty effectively.
Silly me: I assumed the valet was the underground parking. Not so much. When we picked up our car from the valet the following day, it had obviously been parked outside all night.
The room looked nothing like that on the website (I've since realized the "room" they show is a suite),had no view of the ocean (though we paid for a deluxe room) but rather sat over the boardwalk surrounded by shops and bars. It was tremendously noisy. The elevator was filthy and in disrepair, there were ants scouting the bathroom throughout our stay, and the oldest known carpet was pulled away from the wall. The desk was battered and filthy and was finished off by an artificial plant that hadn't been dusted since the beginning of time. The heating/cooling system in the room didn't work, nor did the Jacuzzi jets on the tub. Standard cable and room service from 5-10 p.m. only. Based on what we saw of the hotel, we decided not to trust the cleanliness of the kitchen and dined elsewhere.
Stay ANYWHERE else.

Room Tip: Stay someplace else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KillerDana33842

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Great location-close to all the night life and the pier. Our room was clean and the balcony had comfortable chairs to sit and have drinks. The spa was clean. The continental breakfast was good and served in an area that was perfect if you wanted to hang out and talk.

• Stayed August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Parker, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed August 19th 2013 in room 204. For two hundred dollars my window backed into a brick wall. I heard the clanging of pots and pans below and the guy in the bicycle shop has a potty mouth. The structure is old, not much counter space in the bathroom. I could not get my window to open but thank goodness the room had a fan overhead that gave some relief from the heat. My son's room had a fan but it didn't give off much relief.....that was their air conditioning. I loved the Casablanca feel to the room and loved the old carpet. The hallway carpet is heavily stained but the tile patio floor is beautiful downstairs. You will get charged 15.00 extra dollars to park your car across the street at the beach. We had a few phone requests and someone was at our door to help us within one minute. The bed was VERY comfortable and slept well. The room could have been cleaner, lots of dust on the blinds and corners of the rooms.

Room Tip: The rooms closer to the beach are nicer but you'll pay more.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our room was so disgusting and the manager/owner? was so unhelpful that we left the hotel without staying the night.

Anyone reserving a standard room (which runs $249/night in the summer) should beware. Our standard room was located in the un-renovated half of this hotel. The hallway carpet is dirty and hallway doors are propped open with filthy hand towels. Our room had mysterious red marks on the floorboards, questionable smudges in the bathroom and very worn furniture (see photos). Upon discovering a stain on the bed cover and requesting a new one, someone simply dropped a new one onto the corner of our bed. Stained cover still on the bed.

The manager (owner?) was surly and unhelpful. His solution was to offer us a suite in the renovated building for $400 - yes, we would be required to pay the difference.

The rooms in the renovated section start at $349/night and while they are ocean-facing, what the hotel website doesn't mention is that they also have a spectacular view of the large, public parking lot directly below them. Anyone gushing about this property is either friends with the owner or doesn't realize they paid a ridiculous rate for their renovated room.

We left.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. This property is a rip off. Even the renovated rooms, while ocean-facing, are fi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RedSpinner

Travelers are raving about these Newport Beach hotels

Houston, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

We got the bait and switch too. Called ahead and were told they would hold a double 20 minutes. Got there in 10 and 'poof', only room now available was the suite. Regardless, REALLY old, cramped and smelling strongly of industrial disinfectant. The furniture reminded me of the bedroom set my sister and I had growing up in the 70's. SO loud even with the windows closed. Dumpsters, drunks and dudes don't care people are trying to relax and sleep.

On the plus side, very convenient to everything, cool looking from the outside. Lots of bronze sculpture tucked all over, staff very friendly and pleasant. Food and service at terrace restaurant very good although view of the beach is obstructed by railing. Bed was comfy, nice pillows.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed in a family sweet with my husband and two kids in June...it was perfect. Fantastic location, beautiful room (clean, updated and very comfortable) and fantastic staff! Footsteps from the beach. Tons of shops, restaurants and activities in walking distance. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank caligirlatheart008
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

So to get those fancy rooms everyone has pictures of is an extra 300-400 a night on top on the 1100 a night in this dump I'm in now. Got a two bed room it has 2 BOX TVs, windows that open with a rotating handle and 2 of the 4 handles don't work so anyone can open or close my window thankfully I'm on the second floor. My room is 204 and outside my room happens to be the trash dumpster below me I can hear everything being dumped in there due to my windows not operating properly. NATS!!! I had to kill 5NATS flying around my bathroom from god knows what. 45$ for valet on weekends 35$ a day during weekdays not to mention the 10$ a day wifi fee. Looks like a broken smoke alarm in my room also, and then there is this god damn water pipe sticking out the wall I just stubbed my toe on. You would think people paying 11-1500 a night they could do a little matenence twice a month. Just noticed when doing the video they have an empty box in my room see video. Luckily this doesn't allow me to curse or F bombs would be flying

• Stayed July 2013
Newport Beach Hotel
#12 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 207 reviews
Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach

Been to Balboa Inn? Share your experiences!