Balboa Inn
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$215
Hotels.com
Hotel Solarena, BW Premier Collection(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$185
$152
  • Breakfast included
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$159
  • Restaurant
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$175
$169
  • Pool
Fashion Island Hotel Newport Beach(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$239
$229
  • Pool
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$164
  • Restaurant
Balboa Bay Resort(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$285
$279
$154
HIExpress.com
$595
$425
  • Pool
Newport Beach Hotel(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$235
$199
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsthe balboa island ferryking sizepark your carwhale watchingcalifornia
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 30, 2012

First off, the inn is very nice and quaint and right at the base of the pier. I really liked that the Cabo Cantina was right across the street. The two most important things to me though are quiet rooms and a cold AC I can adjust. The standard room I received did not look anything like the pics online. There was no restaurant or bar open in the hotel and it seemed like a ghost town at first. I did visit on a Tuesday night in April, so that may explain why the Inn seemed dead. There was no adjustable air conditioner, only a way to kick on the heat. The room was noisy from patrons across the hall as well as outside noise.
While the staff was very friendly and the place seemed nice and cozy, I wont return due to noise and lack of an AC.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank fijidaniel
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Terrible customer service. The room was the smallest low budget room I have ever stayed in. A motel six would have been nicer. The manager was rude and dishonest, tried to charge us more than our friends were paying for better rooms!!! Unreal....!!! I've never had such a bad experience at a hotel before. I would avoid this place like the plague...!!!

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Gmun123
Reviewed February 19, 2012

This was by far, the worst hotel that me and my girlfriend ever stayed in. The room was over priced, old, broken down and noisy. We had two very active neighbors that kept making noise all throughout the night until 2:30 AM.

The hot water from the restroom was broken. The carpet was extremely dirty. Bed is uncomfortable. Pillows are impossible to sleep on. AC wasn't working. No windows treatments except for twisty shades that were broken.

Bar was downstairs and very noisy, filled with drunken kids. Room wasn't in the least bit sound proof, could hear all activity from your neighbors.

Doesn't look as if the room was cleaned or updated before we checked in. Toilet paper was half way used. Really uncomfortable to use the small bathroom. Couldn't even take the hanger out of the closet to put your clothes on. Closet was in the corner, inconveniently located next to the TV stand that was not movable.

After all this, we left at 2:30 AM for our house. When we called the front desk to check out and express our disappointments, he just said 'OK'...terrible service.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ethan B
Reviewed February 15, 2012

I use to live in this area so I knew the area well and knew right where I wanted to be. I had known the exterior of this hotel but never been in. I read the reviews on here when planning to visit friends and family in the area. I was SO nervous after reading the reviews for the old part as they call it on here, but the "historical part" as the hotel phrases it. We went ahead and booked anyway, knowing the are and that we would not be spending much time in the room anyway, and you would be crazy to take a trip here if you are a room sitter. However, when we arrived at the sand set hotel I couldnt be happier to be there. We saw the room and were so pleasently surprised after the reviews posted. This room was placed on the third floor that exited out to a joined patio with adorable sitting areas and a fountain, with the most amazing ocean view. The room itself had a king bed, fireplace, armoir, normal bath, and closet. It was Cozy, with a window to let in all that ocean air. The only evidence I could find to support less impressed travelers was the fact that they used old classic brass fixtures and soap dishes that with time, sea air and bathroom moisture, start to blue. This is the againg process of this decor and a product of us being so conditioned to less classic elements and plastics. Anyway, there was nothing to fear in the room and it is walking distance to everything fantastic in Newport. Its a beautiful neighborhood. We had a great time!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JamieN47
Reviewed December 21, 2011

I travel frequently to the OC for work, so am familiar with the area and had passed by the Balboa Inn many times. The location is great – right on the peninsula, steps away from the beach, the pier and the Fun Zone.

But location is pretty much the only saving grace of this hotel. On the outside, the hotel keeps up appearances decently well, and it’s a nice structure along the beachwalk. Inside, the hotel is just plain dingy. From other reviews, it seems there’s a new side and an old side (or “Historical”). The old side is exactly that – old, and rather unkempt.

I had booked a family room, which consisted of 2 sleeping areas – a double bed immediately upon entering the room, and a larger space with a queen bed in the back near the bathroom. The carpet smelled like it hadn’t been thoroughly cleaned in decades and there was a large dent in one of the walls. The furniture was old and rickety, one of the closet doors had fallen off the track, the faucet was falling apart, and the shower drain was backed up. There was a dirty old electric fan in the closet (thankfully, I didn’t need to use it) and it took several hours before the heat the actually kicked in once I turned it on. One TV didn’t work and the other only had a few working channels. These were old, outdated Daewoo TV’s, so I didn’t expect quality, but I had at least expected function. One of these TV’s was on the desk in the main “bedroom,” taking up the only usable table space in the entire room.

Parking at the hotel is an additional $28 a night, or they provide you with the option to park in the municipal lot nearby at a max of $15 a day. A tip they won’t tell you – there’s another metered lot next to the building that is free between 6pm and 8am. On top of parking, there are miscellaneous daily hotel fees – be prepared.

The rates for this hotel are way too high for the quality, despite the location, and especially in the off season. Do as others suggest and stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in a room on the historical side of the building.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo