“Discrimination against Canadian/Asian”

Javier's
Ranked #4 of 512 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Romantic
Description: Located along Pacific Coast Highway, just North of Laguna Beach with spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean. Join us for sunset cocktails & dinner on our oceanview patio. Join your friends in our vibrant bar for our wide selection of specialty margaritas, rare tequilas, fine wines, beers & cocktails. The bar is open nightly until 1:00am.
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I went to the place on a Tuesday night by myself. Sat down at the bar, wanted to order a glass of wine and they told me they don't accept Canadian driver licence ID. Refused to serve me drinks or food and basically asked me to leave.
I have always used my driver license in the u.s and I never got rejected except at this place. They could have served me food but decided not to. Maybe because I'm Asian? I felt extremely discriminated.
This place is not worth your time.

There are newer reviews for Javier's

Reviewed August 13, 2013

A couple of people at work rave about this place. I finally drove all the way from San Diego to check it out. It's located in the Crystal Cove shopping center, a swanky place close to Laguna Beach, across the Pacific Coast Highway from the ocean. It is a big restaurant capable of seating north of 400 guests, with view on the Pacific. We ordered fish ceviche, seafood enchiladas, and costilla de res, which is their interpretation of osso-bucco. The chips and salsa that first appeared on the table were quite good. Two kinds of salsa, chips arriving warm from the oven. Then the ceviche showed up and it was a disappointment. The lime was there, the cilantro was there. BUT the fish was cooked and not just cooked but overcooked! I know this is a place that caters to affluent Americans who are usually not adventurous enough to eat real, raw ceviche but still, to overcook the fish like that was borderline criminal. The seafood enchiladas were decent. There was plenty of shrimp and crab but they were almost tasteless. My costilla de res was perhaps the best dish. The meat was cooked just right, tender and juicy. The sauce was sharp and spicy. The potato was well done and the Spanish rice was fluffy as expected. We asked for some guacamole and were billed 9 dollars!

Now for the atmosphere. Given the size of the place, it was bound to be noisy. It was a Summer Sunday afternoon, the place was crowded and the noise deafening. Seeing that this place bills itself as a high class joint, this is one count against it. There are some private dining rooms, maybe those are quieter. This restaurant is in a shopping center with a large, spacious parking lot, yet, there is valet parking, for the princely sum of 4 bucks. I don't mind paying money but this feels out of place. Valet parking in this context is just a way to be pretentious. I guess this sort of clientele likes to be pretentious so that is what they get. Speaking of pretense, the thing that makes me laugh the most is the toilet. When I first went in, I saw a guy hovering near the sink and thought he was just another patron. Turns out he is an attendant. He squirted some soap on my hands then handed me a towel once I was done. The tip bowl was sat conspicuously on the counter so had to give him a dollar. This is too funny. The bathroom is not that big, which makes the presence of this guy all the more awkward. But again, I guess the clientele must eat up this sort of [--] so there it was.

It was a nice Sunday drive through some charming beach communities of Southern California. So I did not regret taking the trip. But there will be no return trips.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This restaurant has a view and gorgeous decor and ambiance as well as great food and drinks. Try the jalepeno margarita. Not all table have views, but the decor is so spectacular that you feel like you are somewhere romantic!

1  Thank suemullen
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The service was good but for the price I expected the food to be better. I had the Vegetable Enchiladas and there was hardly any vegetables in it. The sauce was bland, as was the guacamole. Salsa was good, on the spicy side.

1  Thank Jaclyn S
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Made a reservation 3 weeks in advance. Very cheesy atmosphere and clientele and could not accommodate a special request. Average on everything. Used to specialty chef based cuisine, this is not that. It's a rhinestone version of a local hit spot with cheesy imports from across town.