“Hiking”

102 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 82 helpful votes
“Hiking”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I hike here frequently. Easy to get to, and we can go get our hike on after work. If you like a harder hike you can take the trail to the top.

Visited May 2013

Glendale, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Loved the place, history, and the guides!!!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Visited the place today although we have been living in Santa Clarita for seven years now. Loved the place and the history behind it. Our 5-year old thoroughly enjoyed the tour. He said he wanted to write all about it when we came back home. Our guide, Mrs. Judy McClure and her wonderful husband made it a great and informative day for us. She told us all about the flora, fauna, and the history. He pitched in for more information on hibernation and desert tortoises. Thanks to both of them, we had a lovely time there. Will surely recommend this place and visit again.

On a different note, both Judy and her husband make a lovely pair :)

Uma

Visited April 2013
Santa Clarita, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“California Lilacs in bloom”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

This center is at the start of some great hiking trails, some more strenuous than others. My favorite climbs past a water tank and up onto a ridge that hikers can follow for quite a distance. Nice views from above. Near the nature Center, there is a lovely picnic area with majestic old oak trees giving cool refreshing shade, a very welcome respite form the heat in the spring and summer.

Visited March 2013
Los Angeles, California
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Nature Close Up and Personal!”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I've been to the nature center a few times in the decade I've lived in the Santa Clarita area, sometimes with my husband, other times bringing friends and visiting relatives. Being able to get so close to the natural inhabitants of the area (from rattlesnakes to hawks and tarantulas) is a real treat.

The self-guided walks through the area brings you close to lizards and snakes, hawks and owls while you go (I suggest protective boots and carry your little ones in the summer and on hot days). The foliage is varied and fascinating.

I'm arachnophobic and when I was gazing at the tarantula in its acrylic cage, I mentioned this to the gentleman who was talking to us about the various insect and arthropod specimens they have. He shared so much about his creatures and asked if I wanted to hold one in my hand! I was terrified and excited and in a moment of fearlessness said I'd like to try. It was amazing! Would I want to keep one as a live pet, no, but I no longer fear the big spiders like I once did. It so affected me, I now collect taxidermy beetles, bugs and insect life.

It was a life changing experience for me, but for the family or friends who just want to see some wild animals and learn about the area, it's a great way to spend an afternoon.

Visited March 2012
Los Angeles, California
152 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 116 helpful votes
“History and a Hike”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

When and where was gold first discovered in California? If you say 1848 on the American River, you would be incorrect. The first recorded discovery of gold in California was in 1842 about 30 miles north of Los Angeles. Francisco Lopez took a nap under an oak tree and dreamed of gold. Upon awakening, he discovered gold a few feet away. The Oak of the Golden Dream is still here at the end of a short easy trail.

Besides this trail, there is a Nature Center and several other trails. Some of the trails extend to the Walker Ranch a miles further up the road. There are no longer any ranch buildings at the Walker Ranch site, but the cabin used by the Walkers during winter (because it was closer to the school for their 14 children) is a few hundred feet from the Nature Center. There is a guided nature walk at 11:00 AM, animal talk at 1:00 PM, picnic areas, oak and sycamore trees and be careful of the poison oak. The waterfall trail ends in a waterfall, but only for a short time after a big rain.

The Nature Center is about a mile and a half east of Highway 14.

Visited October 2012