“Great place for a great time”
Review of Brats Brothers - CLOSED

Brats Brothers
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Brats Brothers is a gourmet sausage grill and German restaurant in Newbury Park. We offer a variety of traditional and exotic bratwursts, an array of tasty side dishes, wiener schnitzel, spaetzel and a huge selection of premium beers.Our bratwursts include pork, beef, veal, chicken, turkey, ostrich, duck, buffalo, elk, alligator and kangaroo. We source our products from award-winning small business providers, ensuring we only serve the best available. Brats Brothers loves offering specials off our menu to highlight great seasonal items. Our beer selection is vast and includes many German and European selections, like Spaten, Paulaner, Hofbrau, Erdinger, Fraziskaner, Chimay and many more.Our restaurant is truly a unique setting, reminiscent of the inside of a tent at Germany’s famed Oktoberfest in Bavaria. It truly ads to the quality food and beer we serve.
Oceanside, California
“Great place for a great time”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I've been to Brat Brothers twice in 3 weeks now. If you want a noisy, fun place to take some friends and have a great time, this is the place. Great, authentic German food and plenty of it. Silly band on Friday and Saturday nights that mean you have to yell to each other to be heard, or just sing along. This is not gourmet food, it is something to fill your stomach so you don't get sick from the all the beer.
My only complaint is that they should only allow reservations at half of the tables so that you can drop in without planning. People tend to over stay because they are having fun, so if you don't make reservation the chances of getting a table on the weekends between 6 and 9 are almost zero.

• Visited April 2013
Roland R, Owner at Brats Brothers, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thanks for the good words. It's great to hear you're a big fan of us. The fact that you've visited twice in 3 weeks really says it all. Thanks as well for the suggestion about reservations. I see your point and will certainly keep it in mind for the future. Hope to have you and your friends back at our table again soon!

All the best,

Roland Radler

Westlake Village, California
“Good German food”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This place is fun. The food is really good, not AMAZING. The brats are really worth your time (and calories, if you care). The Spaetzle is not the best (at least, if you're expecting real Spaetzle, as they have in Germany). Everything else was great. Lots of mustard options, which I loved. Good German Bier! Service was a TINY bit slow, but I imagine it will get better with time. It wasn't terrible, but I thought I should mention it). Also, it's a great place to bring kids!. There's a train that goes around the restaurant! My son calls it the Choo-Choo restaurant. :)

Roland R, Owner at Brats Brothers, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review. (The Choo-Choo restaurant—too cute!) I appreciate the encouraging words, and I look forward to welcoming you back next time. Hopefully, you'll receive the speedy, spot-on service we're capable of delivering!

Best wishes,

Roland Radler
Thousand Oaks, California
“Unsatisfactory”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I've been to Brats Brothers 3 times now. I've had the Wienerschnitzel, Sauerbraten and Pork Shank. Coming from Austria, I know what a Wienerschnitzel is supposed to be like. It should be more crunchy. Taste is average, I guess. The Sauerbraten was way too salty, and I like salt. The pork shank was dry and tasted like BBQ sauce. A pork shank should be seasoned with salt, garlic and caraway seeds only. I also tasted the Goulash from a friend's plate. It didn't taste like Goulash at all. And the Mushroom Schnitzel is too salty as well.
Maybe you have to go there for the sausages only. I haven't tried those. But they should come with roasted potatoes, not a bun.
The Brezeln are really good, as well as the Apfelstrudel. The Kaiserschmarren is interesting, but nothing like any Kaiserschmarren I have ever eaten.
Service is very friendly but extremely slow. It takes forever to get drinks or food.

Los Angeles, California
“Awful service”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our group was always going to their Sherman oaks location, but after last time going there; my husband had an upset stomach. So we decided to try the Newbery Park location (we were also invited to the new location by the new owner whom we meet at Sherman oaks). All I can say is that the Newbery park one sucks.
Here is the tip: the beer is not as good as in Sherman oaks. It has watery taste. My St. Bernardus was way to watery compared to what I had in Sherman Oaks. I guess they are trying to make some money on it. My husband ordered Grimbergen and it tasted nothing like the beer he had at Sherman oaks or other German/Belgium pubs. It was also watery with a very strange aftertaste. The server didn't even ask what size he wanted (thank God) and brought the smallest glasses (half pint).

Food: I ordered New Zealander with the pepper and onion toppings and it was twice smaller than at the other location. The sausage was also dry.

Service: We sat at our table at least 15 minutes waiting for somebody to stop by and take our order. When the guy finally stopped by and took it, he didn't write it and that is where everything went from bad to worst. They completely mixed up all our orders. We had a group of four people, so when the orders finally showed up 30 minutes later, only 3 people got the food. My order was somehow forgotten and I had to chaise the server to remind him that i don't have anything to eat. My friend ordered a glass of wine which took 20 minutes to pour and when it finally arrived, the glass was very dirty, so we had to catch the server and ask to replace it. It took another 15 minutes. The bartender poured another glass in 5 minutes, but then it was sitting there and waiting for us for another 10 even though our server was hanging around the bar constantly.
When the food finally arrived, they forgot my side orders. They mixed up order of the fries for my husband, so became very aggravated and I guess at that point the supervisor came to the rescue.

The place is pretty big and the servers are just wondering around not knowing what to do. We were there on Saturday around 3 pm and it was not busy. Most of the tables were empty. To have such a service at the half empty restaurant is a disgrace.
If you want to try a good German/Belgium beer, go to Wurstkuche in Culver City. Their selection of beer is better (they even let you taste it for free), the food is better and it is cheaper.
We will never come back.

3 Thank mazcoroni
San Diego, California
“Great German Food”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have been to Brat Brothers a few times and every time the food has been great. There is a huge variety of brats and all of the are really good. The atmosphere is great with live music on some nights. The beer menu has a bunch of great German and Belgian choices that you can't find anywhere else in the area. The service can be a little slow sometimes but the servers are all very nice and knowledgable about the menu. This restaurant is a great addition to the area.

• Visited December 2012