“Thankful for lower prices, but not for the deception.”
Review of Sumo Sushi

Sumo Sushi
Ranked #14 of 89 Restaurants in Newbury Park
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Bummed that I had to change my review today from 5 stars to 1 star.

The 50% discount they boast is a farce. I tested it. I came in at happy hour, regular hours and when it was changing from happy hour to regular hours. I know when to expect the charge to be regular or happy hour as they call "last call". Each time I placed my order I confirmed the price and if it was happy hour or regular price. I secretly wrote down the price quoted on the menu and confirmed by the wait staff. Then when I would get the bill, it was always wrong. A few times I brought it to their attention and they would confirm that I was correct, offer some excuse and fix it immediately. The last few times, I was too embarrassed to say anything at all but kept the bill and itemized receipts. One time it was over $26.00 in error. (they actually corrected it and then gave me an additional amount off as an apology) Tonight, I told the hostess what I was discovering. She showed me the erroneous 50% off area of the bill and I explained...it's not correct...it never has been correct. I told her not to say anything, explained I was embarrassed that once again, I caught them and that I would just call the manager later...and I paid their charges. I wonder how many people fall for this and TRUST that things are on the up and up. Try it. Try doing the math the next time you go in. You will see for yourself. Remember, every time I called it to their attention, they did tell me I was correct and I was offered many excuses.

If you're going to offer lower prices to entice more business, then honor those lower prices. Don't play games hoping not to be discovered.

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Food is fine, nothing special. Tried to send back a roll because it was gross and the manager said no and then shot us dirty looks all night. So I won't be coming here again. Why deal with a place with mediocre food that doesn't want my business when there are plenty of other good sushi restaurants in town, personally I'll be spending my money at Minato from now on.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

Although known for its great sushi, I love their Japanese dinners. At a most reasonable price, you choose two or three entrees from a lengthy list of familiar and not-so-familiar traditional Japanese offerings, served in a bento box with rice and other goodies, plus miso soup and a delicious salad. The menus (notice I wrote menus, not menu, because there are two extensive sushi ones plus one for the dinners, appetizers and other assorted items) are filled with photos of what is offered and they perfectly match what you are served. Ummmmm, delicious. I usually order the two-item dinner and select the shrimp and vegetable tempura and the breaded pork with plum sauce (tonkatsu). A pleasant staff greets and serves you in a very comfortable environment that is usually packed with other diners who have discovered this gem.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

This was the fourth time I've visited Sumo and it never disappoints. The sushi is great, the prices (especially at lunch or at Happy Hour) are excellent, and the atmosphere is pleasant.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I like this place. Especially when you are there during happy hour. What you get for the price is amazing. Sushi and rolls are very good. The service was very friendly as well.