“Rooms okay, staff and shuttle leave alot to be desired”

Chase Suite Hotel Newark
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Newark
Rockford, Illinois
“Rooms okay, staff and shuttle leave alot to be desired”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2011

Recently stayed at Chase suites with my husband who was in Fremont for business. Let me start with the things that were okay about the property. The rooms are well furnished with kitchen items to be able to cook if desired, the bed is comfortable and the bathroom products (lotion/shampoo) were very nice. Now for the rest,
1. the shuttle service is absolutely useless, they did come pick us up at San Jose airport but the driver did not even pull up to curb or get out of the van when he arrived. We had to walk out to the driving lane and open the doors ourselves to load our own bags. He literally stopped in the lane and held up traffic while we loaded our stuff and ourselves into the van. Once we arrived we discovered they wouldn't take us back to the airport when we left because we had a flight at 9:00am and they don't go to the airport "that early".
2.the laundry facilities are dirty and never available. I checked several times one evening and there were clothes just sitting in the washers for hours without being used. I didn't want to take them out and the front desk just said to check back.
3. we decided to go to san francisco for the day on Saturday and asked at the desk about getting to the bart station, since it is only 10 minutes away we thought the shuttle might be able to take us there but apparently thats not what the shuttle is for. They offered to call a cab, $13 one way. The least they could have done is let us know there is a bus stop in front of the hotel that has several bus lines that all go to the bart station for $2 per person. The only thing I can assume is they have an agreement with the cab company because that was also their solution for the airport transportation. Seems like if a hotel property advertises they have a shuttle they may want to make it available for their guests to use.
4. The social hour and breakfast are okay but don't expect the same experience as other "name brand" hotels. The social hour is warmed up appitezers and 1/3 glass of two buck chuck wine. Limit of 2 glasses per guest. Save yourself the time and trouble and go to the mini mart/liquor store next door and buy your own wine/beer. There is a wine bottle opener in the kitchen. Breakfast is only until 8:30am on weekdays and not allowed to take it back to your room, since they don't have anyone cleaning the tables we were forced to eat at a dirty, sticky tables everyday. lobby and breakfast area are very run down and in need of a good cleaning.
Needless to say this hotel needs some updating, the decor, the tvs and the staff attitudes.

Room Tip: away from the main roads and make sure the internet works, overheard other guests saying some buildi...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank cupcakesbyjules
Newark-GM, General Manager at Chase Suite Hotel Newark, responded to this review, February 28, 2012
Dear cupcakesbyjules,

We really appreciate you giving us the opportunity to respond and apologize for the issues you experienced with our shuttle. We also appreciate the positive comments about the rest of our hotel. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs; unfortunately our shuttle requires a 24 hour notice and is based upon availability.

Kind regards,
Millie Sustache,GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Fremont, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2011

I had a three-day pre-paid reservation at this hotel. Less that 24 hours before I was to arrive, I got an e-mail saying the reservation had been cancelled. When I called the hotel, they said they were overbooked. They took no responsibility for finding me another hotel in the area. I spoke to two different people, both of whom seemed to have the attitude of "too bad. We don't have any room. Nothing we can do about it. You're on your own." This is not a good sign if you need to be in a specific location at a specific time. I won't be booking a Chase Suites hotel again for either business or leisure.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank Tish D
Dear Tish,
I had a chance to review your survey. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs. Been an extended stay hotel the day prior to your arrival we had a group extending for another 30 nights. It was short notice; we called 24 hours in advance to notify you and to give you the choice of making arrangements of location & hotel of your choise. I know that does not change your experience; but I hope that you will give us an opportunity in the future while visiting the Newark area.

Millie Sustache, GM

Travelers are raving about these Newark hotels

dominica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed with my family in a 2-bed room, 2-bath suite for a week in the last week of August'2011. The price is very good. I spent what i would usually spend for a 1-bed room in a comparable hotel. The location is very good too. Close to the freeway sans the noice and many good restaurents around in a good neighbourhood. I big mall close by. The only downside is the choice of the free breakfast. It is very spartan, though hot and not many items on it. Overall I liked my stay there.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank frequenttravelelr
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2011

We are currently staying in this hotel. We booked the two bedroom suites for a total of six nights.
Good:
1. Comfortable living area and beds
2. Clean
3. Located in a nice safe location; very close by a mall, shops, stores, restaurants, and freeway
4. Free Breakfast
5. Friendly staff
6. Free Internet
7. Free parking
Need Improvements:
1. Likes other travelers who left many same comments, I agree with them. Everything inside of the hotel/suites is extremely old and dated.
2. My sink was gross and rusted.
3. Tiles on the floor were cracked.
4. Closet was almost broken; hard to open and close
5. Carpets were stained
6. Missing sticks on the blinds
7. Had three big old Tube TV's. Even cheaper motels have flat screens.
8. Furniture were very worned and dented.
9. Limited breakfast. They close breakfast at 8:30!!! And they stop bringing out any food like at 8:10. This was so disappointing. We are on vacation! Who would want to wake up early to eat breakfast. Plus the selection was very limited. One day, just toast and scrambled eggs with sausage. At the eating area, there were not enough space to eat and they do not let you take food back to your room to eat. I guess they expect you to stand at a corner while holding a heavy glass plate and eat there. The cooks (appeared to be family) were very unorganized with preparing food. I got there at like 8:05 AM one day, and apple juice was almost out. No bowls or plates. Scrambled eggs was left but enough for 5-6 servings. And they lady who worked there said, "It is good enough, almost 8:30, do not make any more." Yet, there were like 20 people waiting for food.

Recommendation for this hotel management:
1. Please use your profit and upgrade this place.
2. Extend your breakfast until AT LEAST 9:30 on weekdays like other major hotels.

If I need to stay in this area next time, I would rather stay at the Homewood Suites by Hilton for the same price. Their ratings are so much better. And I have had such wonderful experience with them in the past.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without rust in the sink.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank foxmooder
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2011

We recently stayed at Chase for a wedding we were attending nearby. We booked the 2-bedroom suite since we were traveling with a toddler who goes to sleep much earlier than me or my husband and the 2-bedroom was only $15 more a night than the 1-bedroom when we booked it.

The suite was large and spacious, with an almost full kitchen. The place is old, but I didn't mind that, as the price couldn't be beat. The 2nd bedroom was not ready when we checked in, even though we didn't do an early check-in but they did get it cleaned pretty quickly.

I had asked for a crib to be in the room when I had made the reservations and it wasn't there when we arrived, even though I had called the day before to confirm that it would be available. In addition, I had explicitly asked whether it would be a crib or a pack-n-play, and they said it was crib, but indeed it was a pack-n-play. I was annoyed because I had called so I could make sure to bring the right type of sheets with me, and therefore had only bought crib-sized sheets. I made them work, but it was still irritating. The pack-n-play they provided was quite old and extremely rickety, with holes in on the sides. I had to go back to the front desk and ask for another one, and the front desk people were less than friendly about it. The entire staff, with the exception of the kitchen staff, seem constantly irritated. The replacement they gave me was more sturdy, but still quite old and stained. Chase Suites should really look into acquiring some new ones as the old ones could be a safety hazard.

They didn't bother to clean our room the first day, even though we were out and about quite a bit, which wouldn't have been that big of deal had we had enough towels. It seems like the towels that were left in the bathroom were already used (found a couple hairs on them) even though they were neatly folded as if they were new. It was inconvenient to say the least, to come back to your hotel after a wedding to find an uncleaned room and try to take a shower and discover that your towels are not clean either. The next day, they did "clean" our room, but not too thoroughly, as some cereal crumbs my daughter spilled were still on the carpet.

The breakfast was good, and the staff in the kitchen and dining area were friendly and accommodating, unlike the front desk staff. The hotel is old and on the dirty side, but convenient to restaurants and shopping.

Would I stay here again? Possibly, since it was so cheap, but I would make sure to bring my own pack-n-play and towels.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank S W
Newark-GM, General Manager at Chase Suite Hotel Newark, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
We really appreciate you giving us the opportunity to respond and apologize for the issues you experienced. Our goal is for every Guest to have a great experience during their stay and we obviously missed that mark. I was glad to read your positives comments about our spacious 2 bedroom suite, our breakfast been good and our staff in the kitchen were friendly and accommodating. We hope you will give us the opportunity to show you that we can do it right the next time you are in the Newark area.
Millie Sustache, GM
Chase Suite Hotel-Newark
Shingle Springs, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

The room I received wasn't a suite but a small room with no refrigerator or kitchen. I was told it was because I booked on priceline. All customers should be treated the same, I will be sure to avoid this property in the future as the rooms aren't as advertised.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank MrGallagh
Newark-GM, General Manager at Chase Suite Hotel Newark, responded to this review, August 24, 2011
I had a chance to review the survey you recently completed. I am very sorry that you were disappointed during your stay. We have 148 suites & 16 standards rooms in our entire hotel. When you book thru another website you are bidding for Run of the house, meaning whatever room is available on the date of your arrival. When booking thru our website you are able to choose your room type. We want each and every guest to have a fantastic experience and we hope that next time you are in Newark you will give us another opportunity.

Chase Suite Hotel-Newark,CA
California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2011

I got my room through Priceline and was happy to see that I was staying at a "suite hotel." Usually that means a little more room, including a work desk and couch. I was disappointed, to say the least, when I checked into my room. It was dirty, run-down and very small.

Dirty: I've never stayed in a hotel room where the walls looked like they were years past the point of needing fresh paint. The wall switches had grime and gummy goo around them. The place was really quite gross.

Run-Down: The bathroom sink was rusty. The window coverings were falling apart. The TV was really old and half the channels didn't work. The entire room was this way.

Small: This room (307A) was the anti-suite. It was laughably small and tight. The front door barely allowed enough space to open and walk in. The closet was hard to get to because the gap between the bed and the closet was only 12"... just enough space to squeeze in. There was no desk or workspace.

THE POSITIVES: It had wireless Internet that worked well, though I had no place to put my laptop other than... my lap... top. Also, I found the breakfast to be quite good. But, with the maintenance and care of my room so lacking, I could not stop thinking about what the kitchen might look like. But, without seeing the kitchen, the food did seem good.

Overall I was very unhappy. I was on business and I really did not look forward to going to my room. I will definitely never stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank RobertoCalifornia
Saying we are sorry just doesn’t seem to be enough. The room you were given needed lots of attention. I know that does not change your experience; but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concern and are definitely doing something about it. We have a variety of room types; but when booking thru another website you are getting a discount by bidding Run of the house. We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast.
My apologies once again and I hope that you will give us an opportunity to make it up to you the next time you are in the area.

Chase Suite Hotel-Newark,CA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden Court Inn
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont
Comfort Inn and Suites Newark
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark - Fremont
Good Nite Inn Fremont
Good Nite Inn Fremont
#5 of 19 in Fremont
TownePlace Suites Newark Silicon Valley

Been to Chase Suite Hotel Newark? Share your experiences!