“Great Value and Excellent Facilities for Families with Young Kids” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley

Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Newark
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Value and Excellent Facilities for Families with Young Kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I drove from Vancouver Canada to Anaheim (Disneyland) with my son, daughter in law and their two toddlers. We stayed at Residence Inns throughout our trip and were pleasantly surprised at all of the family friendly facilities. We stayed in two bathroom, two bedroom or two bedroom loft (well worth the extra few dollars if available) suites. Each suite was spacious and had a fully equipped kitchen, three flat screen TV's, free WiFi, in-room safe, individually controlled heating/air con, sofabed in the living area. Each Inn also had coin operated laundry facilities, swimming pool, free on-site parking, and included a full buffet breakfast.

Specifically with respect to Newark, we stayed two nights in July 2012. The suite was spacious and clean. The staff were friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast had a wide selection.

We stayed here due to the reasonable suite rates compared with hotels in San Francisco proper. We spent a day in San Francisco and it took us just under an hour to get to Fisherman's Wharf.

We enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We arrived late one night and left early the next morning.

It's a standard Residence Inn geared towards business travellers. It was clean and the room was spacious. That's about it...

Oh yeah... good size pool and decent fitness facilities.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

Big hotel with too few elevator. Room is a bit old. Internet connection is great.

Laundry is very expensive costing $2 for the washing machine and the dryer.

The big warning sign at the front desk about them not responsible for any loss of items in the car parked are very worrying. Not sure if the area is safe or not due to the sign.

Room Tip: Asked for room near the elevator, since the furthest room is quite a walk.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
, Guest Relations at Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Thank you for your response. We appreciate your feedback because it helps us make improvements to our hotel. We are very happy that your internet connection was great! We recently upgraded our wireless hardware and it looks to be paying off. We hope we can accommodate you the next time you are in the area!

Cypress, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Flew up for the weekend. Since I'm not a weekly business traveler I got a very good price on a suite. Everything was clean and comfortable. Spent the minimum amount of time at the hotel as I was there for other activities. Avoided the Dumbarton toll by driving around the bay Saturday morning since I had the time. :)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Houston, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was my second stop on the GART (Great American Road Trip) after Morro Bay and experiencing the beauty and terror of the mountainous California Highway 1 for a full day. Who needs amusement park roller coasters when you've got this to drive?

After a quick look-around in Monterey, I stopped for two days at this property. Won it via the Priceline lottery: $47 per night at an iffy 3-star level. I think Priceline is suffering from grade inflation. And, if I had to do it again, I might raise my standards to a 3.5 star level along with my bid.

Pros:
1. Easy access from the highway and lots of close restaurants, banks, gas stations, and grocery stores.
2. Suites that have flatware, plates, glasses, cups, pots and pans. A full-size refrigerator, microwave, and cooktop are available, too.
3. Wireless access is solidly reliable and fast; Ethernet cable in room not evident.
4. Lots of lamps and good lighting overall.
5. Plentiful towels and great shower pressure.
6. Self-serve laundry is available on the second floor and requires use of your key for access. Each load costs $2 for a wash and $2 for a dry. Cycle times are posted, which was an excellent mark of logical thinking.
7. Standard array of breakfast buffet items: eggs, sausage, potatoes, oatmeal, waffles, fruit, bagels, bread, juice, and coffee.

Cons:
1. Room carpets are well past their prime - please put them out of their misery. Now.
2. Elevator interiors are heavily scratched - akin to public housing facilities.
3. Heavy discounting of room rates bring out dubious characters: one might use the word "ghetto" to give you a flavor of what I'm talking about.
4. Pull out couch and chair are both saggy and looked like 1990s era refugees; take a pro-tip: don't sit on them unless you're wearing something that you'll be burning after wearing.
5. Weekends draw some large extended family gatherings at the pool - can be noisy and heard even from my 5th floor room.
6. A subtext of car break-ins: front desk clerk issued me a parking permit and mentioned that it would be useful in contacting owner if criminals attacked my car. (Yikes!) I parked my rental Versa next to an expensive Mercedes, hoping that thieves would gravitate towards it instead.
7. Saw a police cruiser in the parking lot on Saturday evening around 915 PM - I don't know whether that was a result of the loud extended family gathering at the pool (#5) or another car incident (#6). After verifying my car's health the next day, I didn't want to jinx myself by asking.

All in all, the state of the property means a tattier crowd as clientele. If management improves the property, they can charge higher rates and draw more of a business-oriented demographic. Until then, opt for the Courtyard which is just across the parking lot from this property.

Note: If you found this review useful, please click on the button below. Thanks!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor (out of 6 floors) and facing away from the freeway. Bring earplugs as a precau...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank MajorMarket
Thank you for your response! I will forward your review to the appropriate manager so we can be proactive in improving our product. That specific experience with the family gathering by the pool was an issue that was outside of our Residence Inn policies and is not a normal practice here at the property. Management had dealt with the situation with as little disruptions as possible. If you would like to further discuss these issues in more detail, please contact the Operations Manager at 510-739-6000 and reference this review. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to accommodate you again when you are in the area!

Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel. Desk clerks, especially Precious were very nice and helpful. Room was very clean. Breakfast was so convenient and good, especially the mufins.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Rex M, Guest Relations at Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Thank you for your feedback! I am happy that you found our service to be memorable. We hope to accommodate you again here at the Newark Residence Inn, your home away from home!

Redmond, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

On the plus side, this Marriott is much less expensive than anything in Palo Alto, which means that for a $5 toll (westbound only), you can accumulate Marriott points without the boss squawking that you spent a Marriott fortune on the West Side of the Bay.

Looks like this Marriott has a management issue. During a 3-day stay on a business trip I ecperienced no wifi, an elevator that couldn't be called from my floor, and a shower that was close to inoperative. I am a Marriott Rewards member with Gold status, so was especially dissapointed when this hotel did not work out.

Loved the location, per my opening paragraph, and in general the hotel seemed nice. A business colleague and I arrived on a Monday afternoon, checked in, then immediately departed for a dinner. In fact we spent very little time in the hotel because we were meeting customers and attending a conference in Palo Alto.

Here's a brief description of the three issues that I encountered.

The Internet was out in the hotel for two of the three nights. Heard others say that it had been out for at least another day prior to our arrival. This is fatal if you are on a business trip to Silicon Valley! In fact, I would have moved except that coordinating that along with a colleague during a super-busy week was tough. Fortunately my associate had a ClearWire 4G access point, and I could connect to it from my own room.

Then there was the shower. The diverter knob in the tub was 20% shower, 80% tub. Nice mist, but not a nice shower. In fairness to Marriott I did not report this until checkout. But betting that I was not the first to report it.

On checkout morning there was a piece of paper taped over the call button for my second-floor room, saying "out of order". The elevator still worked; you just couldn't call it from that floor. So I had to carry my luggage downstairs.

Sorry Marriott, not buying that "things happen". Sounds like issues that stacked up over time, and that at least in the case of the Internet were not escalated aggressively.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Mike_Sea
Rex M, Guest Relations at Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley, responded to this review, May 1, 2012
Thank you for your response. We appreciate your feedback and apologize for the issues you have come across during your stay with us. We are proud to note that we have recently updated our internet connection providing a stronger signal throughout our hotel. We would like to further investigate the other issues you have had with your stay. Please contact our Operations Manager directly at 510-792-5200. Please refer to this review when contacting us. We look forward to hearing from you.

Rex Maxion
Guest Relations
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley
4.0 of 5 stars 194 reviews
BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden Court Inn
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont
No photo provided

Been to Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!