“Nice place”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Newark
Rohnert Park, California
“Nice place”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We stayed two nights for a wrestling tournament at the high school. It was clean, spacious, had a normal size refrigerator, and a cook top. The continental breakfast consisted of a variety of muffins, yogurt, and nutri-grain bars. I don't eat much for breakfast so it was perfect for me.

The pool was very small and the hotel did not have a hot tub. It was a little disappointing but we were busy the entire time so we didn't have time to use it anyway, but if this was a family vacation it could have been a problem.

I did go with a friend that still had Marriott points so we didn't have to pay anything. Even though the room was very nice I heard some people paid over $200 for their room, which in my mind isn't worth it. If you can get a good deal I say go for it, but at $200 a night there are hotels just as nice for less money.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Okeechobee, Florida
Reviewed February 26, 2014

The rooms here are suites with a full kitchen and separate bedroom- really best suited for extended stays. I haven't stayed a TownPlace Suites before, but I don't have any major complaints here. As usual at Marriott properties - the staff was professional and friendly. Although appointed at a lower level than more "upper class" hotels, the room was clean and quiet. Breakfast in the morning was simple but plenty. My only complaints: Whatever they used to clean was a completely overbearing smell in the hallways. It was almost like they used a concentrated cleaner at full strength rather than diluting it. Also, the hallways were dimly lit. It was probably for energy savings purposes, but it gives the place a gloomy look. Luckily the rooms were much brighter. Maybe not my first pick on a return trip, but only because it wasn't as close to my business location as I'd like to have been.

Room Tip: I'd request a high floor.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JVBV
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 9, 2014

A MUST READ - I normally do not give 1 STAR but this hotel suites it. Here are the reasons: It was a rainy evening when I checked in. The attendant DID NOT offer to ask if I needed help with my luggage and he was a bit rude and just wanted to check me in the system and give me the keys. It did not seem that he was busy since it was later in the evening when I checked in. I asked where "breakfast" will be served. It turns out that the breakfast will be at their VERY SMALL lobby, the same place where I was standing. When I opened the door to the lobby of the building where my room was located, it smelled like air freshener (to cover the animal odor). It was a horrible, suffocating odor because the air freshener was too strong! The kind that you use for the bathroom. My "suite" smelled like Korean food too, probably from the previous occupant! Bed is not comfortable and sheets are rough. Refrigerator was also smelly as if there were rotten food in it. :(

On the photo, the pool looks a lot bigger than what it really is. It's fenced in and faces the front parking lot.

The guests above me must be gigantic because the windows literally shake when they walk! Building is poorly constructed, windows are "single pained" and there is no "noise canceling walls" that's why you hear everything! I couldn't wait for the morning time so that I could just check out and charge this to experience.

I guess I had HOPED that the comments I read about this hotel (dated 6 months prior and older), that had bad ratings gave this Marriott property time to re-assess this place. It's too bad that things were not rectified. Breakfast itself was very sub-par given that I paid an arm and a leg for this place since there were no more availabilities at the other nearby and a lot more decent hotels. (Paid over $250.00 per night).

I would avoid this place at all cost even f you have a pet, there are other hotels out there that will give you better service and better rates.

If you are ALLERGIC to dog and cat dander, this is not a hotel for you because the dander/scent is very strong and the scent of the animals linger even if they have been long gone. :(

Room Tip: do not book here
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank worldxplorer999

Travelers are raving about these Newark hotels

Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a bait and switch property. Mondays are lower priced with the remainder of the week much more expensive. If you look at that rate this older aging property is not a value. Staff is friendly until you ask them to work. This property is a last resort to me.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I chose this hotel based off positive ratings and previous experiences in TownePlace Suites properties. The rates in the market are very high, so all things considered, I felt I got a decent value at this property. The room was clean and comfortable. The common areas were also clean. This brand's décor is starting to get a bit dated, I think it's time for the brand as a whole to get updated like their other Marriott counterparts (Fairfield, etc).

The location is fine, the parking is tight. Traffic as a whole is terrible, so plan to on 45 minutes - 1 hour to get to/from SFO.

The breakfast in the morning is cold, grab and go style. (Cereal, pre-packaged bagels and muffins.) I'd prefer a Fairfield/Residence Inn style breakfast, but it was acceptable.

Overall, I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed October 24, 2013

stayed here a few time and the property is clean and staff is friendly, for Silicon Vally the rates are pretty good too. Close to several areas with lots of restaurants. Automall PKWY is just one exit away and a few block north on Cedar is a BJ's and then over the bridge into town so it is a good location while still being quiet.

Room Tip: it is off the hyway so no side of the building is noisier than others, one elevator in each building...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Steve K
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

I guess the extra dollars to stay near palo alto are worth it. This place is old. Really for longterm stays on lower budgets. A good value for that. The room itself is clean and people are nice. A better breakfast option vs. Grab and go would be better.
I would look elsewhere but it serves it's purpose. So so is the final comment.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark - Fremont
Aloft Silicon Valley
Aloft Silicon Valley
#3 of 9 in Newark
Chase Suite Hotel Newark
Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn
Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley

Been to TownePlace Suites Newark Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!