“It was ok.”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Newark
Newport Beach, California
“It was ok.”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel itself is fine, the room was large, and the staff was very friendly. And, I greatly appreciate that they were able to accommodate my early check-in. Unfortunately, the faucet dripped loudly, the shower was not clean (there were several obvious hairs of varying color and sizes so not sure when it was last thoroughly cleaned) and my window looked out onto the roof. I was not there for the view, so I don't mind that it wasn't the best, but I felt unsafe as anyone walking on the roof would be able to walk directly up to my window, so kept the curtains closed the entire time. If they cleaned properly I would probably stay again as it was easy to access for meetings in the Palo Alto/San Jose area, but I won't give repeat business to a hotel that doesn't properly clean in between guests.

Room Tip: Try for a higher floor to avoid the roof issue.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We take the cleanliness of our hotel very seriously. If you find any part of your room not to your satisfaction, please let us know and we will quickly take care of it. If there is going to be any roof maintenance, we will always let our guests know. At no point to do we just allow people to walk on our roof. Our location and spacious rooms make us the perfect choice for business travel. I hope we can welcome you back soon for a difference experience.

Alexa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed three nights on a business trip. Very nice hotel with a sleek and modern room --- actually a spacious studio with sofa, kitchenette, modern bathroom with separate shower. Million dollar view of the wetlands, bay, and mountains. Didn't use the pool, but it looked inviting.

The only damper was that the hotel charged us for the 15.00 continental breakfast that was included in the rate as per web site, reservation confirmation email, and record under Starwood guest number. It took several calls and emails to finally get credit for the breakfasts. No apologies were offered. Just a smirky email along the lines, I checked your reservation. No breakfast is included. Show us the confirmation, and I'll credit you the 3 breakfasts. All along the rate on the web site still included breakfast, but then mysteriously disappeared. Oh, and Starwood points also were not automatically deposited.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank travl4fun2
Hi there,

We apologize for the confusion. We always ensure our guests receive the best possible service and are well known for delivering on that. We would love to invite you back for a different experience. We have brought your feedback to the appropriate individuals for training so that this doesn't happen again.

Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for business and it was lovely. The staff and the room were top notch. Upon arrival, I was told that the restaurant just closed. However they made a wonderful sandwich nonetheless. The rooms are very clean. It is important for anyone staying at this hotel to know that you will need a rental car. There isn't a lot of shops and such within walking distance. Also, if you are a runner, you will love the cool mornings and jogging in the area. BTW, Uber is available.

• Stayed June 2014
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Hello,

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! While we aren't close to many shops, we are in a great location to access many corporations in the area. The wildlife preserve is great for running, walking or hiking. We even have a few tools available for you to take full advantage of observing the surrounding wildlife.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Great check in. Needed two beds and was given a two king bed room at no additional charge. I was offered a late checkout, most other places I have to ask. Very nice, clean and spacious rooms. I will consider Aloft on my next trip.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hello,

We would love to see you again. We are always glad to honor any requests if they are available. If you need anything during your stay, don't hesitate to ask.

Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I stayed in this hotel when it was a "W" hotel, and it was in need of some work. We used to joke and call it the "V" hotel (Half of a "W").

The hotel was shut down for 3 months and underwent a 'remodel'. I was excited to go back and see what had been done to change it. Lipstick is the best way to describe it. Now keep in mind this is a CLEAN, NICE hotel and now that it has the "Aloft" brand, it's a great value!!!

They basically 'ligthened' the hotel up from the normal dark "W" standards. The rooms got new desks, entry way wood floors, and a fresh coat of paint. Otherwise, they are the same rooms that you used to pay "W" money for at an "Aloft" rate.

I stay here quite often when travelling for work and think the staff is great! I've never had any issues and never have any reservations about staying here!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
LOS ANGELES
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This was our first time staying in an Aloft property. We love the "boutiquey" feel of the hotel, very nice, very modern touch. Truly a vision of the W Hotel , which we also happen to love. The front desk was very convenient and the staff super helpful. We came in pretty late from driving from LA and yet they were able to grant our request of double beds for the kids' room and close proximity to ours. We got a pretty quiet room and much larger than we expected. It seemed bigger than the usual mini suites with a mini kitchenette and a good size fridge and a microwave. The bed was amazing, the bathroom was very comfortable, oh and we love the Bliss bath products in the shower, this reminds me of the bath products in the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills.

We had a nice stay and would definitely consider staying here again and other Aloft locations.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I recently checked in at this hotel where I have stayed many times. On this occasion, I was in a hurry and needed to get back to my office and I COMPLETELY forgot my wallet with cash and credit cards but needed $5 to get back across the bridge to my office. After explaining my predicament to the front desk clerk, she went to talk to the manager on duty who appeared with $5 in cash which he assured me could be charged to my room account which would be set up against the credit card they had on file for me. Now that is what I call going that extra bit further! It's when you are in trouble that you most need help. Other hotels might just have said : sorry - nothing we can do!
This hotel is in a quiet location but very convenient for Palo Alto as it is just on the shores of the East Bay and adjacent to the Dunbarton bridge. It has large suite style rooms, big TV screens that allow external inputs (for your laptop etc) a sink and a microwave apart from the usual amenities one has in a hotel room.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a view of the wetlands that flood on the tide. If you like a water view, see if you...
Green Features: For some additional benefits, you can opt for no servicing so no towel change and no wasteful bed linen change every day. This is entirely optional and can be selected for individual days or the whole stay at guest' option.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Hi Michael,

Thank you for sharing your experience! I'm glad we could help you out in a bind! It was no trouble at all! Our rooms offer that little extra you need to enjoy a relaxing and easy stay. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask.

See you soon,
Alexa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark - Fremont
Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley
Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn
Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley
Fremont Marriott Silicon Valley

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!