WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Aloft Silicon Valley

Aloft Silicon Valley
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Newark
London
“Made a long business trip more tolerable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was in the area for a business trip over from London and was coming off the back of a series of long trips, so I was pretty shattered by the time I arrived. Pretty much everything at Aloft helped me back into a reasonable frame of mind.

Due to some complexities with the booking for myself and a colleague, there was a horrible mess to unpick at check-in, but it was handled (and fixed) with charm and efficiency.

The room was large and its facilities were excellent. I didn't have a single problem with anything while I was there, and I strongly approve of the 'bonus Starpoints or cash voucher for taking the "green" no-housekeeping' offer.

I had dinner my first night and a couple of breakfasts - the former was very good, the latter were okay. My biggest breakfast complaint was understanding whether I was having the buffet or a la carte: when at the buffet one morning I was offered toast, which seemed to change what I was charged, but on another occasion it didn't.

The hotel's location is a little odd - it was great for my meetings, but generally feels a bit middle-of-nowhere. We originally intended to cab from SFO but the client we were visiting said I should hire a car or we'd be completely stuck there outside the work day, and that was very good advice.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Newark, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We usually use Palo Alto hotels for our meetings BUT I have to say this one is just 10 mins from Palo Alto AND was very well worth the journey across the Dumbarton. The meeting space is fabulous, you can do lunches outside, weather permitting and it is absolutely fabulous to do. All of our participants who normally stay in Palo Alto hotels said they would love to stay at this hotel, rooms were spacious and very well furnished. Staff was super friendly and helped to make our meetings seamless. I would definitely use this hotel for meetings as well as lodgings in the future !!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your meetings held at our hotel. We're glad you enjoy our flexible meeting space, friendly team and location. If you have questions about future events, please don't hesitate to reach out to our sales department! Thanks!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I'm usually a Marriott guy, but I ended up staying at this Aloft during the week for a business trip. I must say, I much preferred the Aloft over the Courtyard I stayed in over the weekend. The style of the hotel (lobby, room, furnishings) is quite modern and sleek, though it's hard to say whether it'll feel dated in a few years.

Service was good if not great, but I got upgrade to a suite both weeks I was there, so I can't really complain. The suites are quite roomy, with a sitting area, bedroom, full bathroom with a tub and a separate standing shower, and a small kitchen area (sink, fridge, microwave). Views aren't exactly stellar, but that's what you get for Newark, I suppose.

All in all, a good stay. I'd definitely come back.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Alexa W, Manager at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
We are so glad you made the switch. It was a pleasure to have you. Our suites are great for longer stays since they do offer a great workspace and the kitchenette. I'll be glad to pass along your compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

All the best,
Alexa W.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

A hip hotel in a convenient location near the highway, Staff were friendly, parking and internet were free, and we got upgraded to a "suite" style room (larger than a typical Aloft room, with a near-full kitchen).

This spacious room showed some of the growing pains of this recently opened Aloft-- the kitchen was completely bare-- no utensils, pots, pans, nothing but paper cups for the coffee maker. We were able to borrow wine glasses from the downstairs bar). The desk was missing its office chair (awkward for laptop usage). The windows overlooked a smaller office building behind the hotel.

The usual Aloft gym was small but outfitted with a decent selection of equipment. The lobby seemed larger than usual.

At first glance the hotel appears to be alone in a business park but a short 1-2 miles away is a commercial drag with a bunch of dining options, including a couple of taco shops, one of which the check-in clerk recommended.

I noticed a lot of reviews comparing this facility to when it was a downscaled W-- it's not a W anymore, so that seems a useless comparison to make. If it had been a Hilton Garden Inn before, would you compare it to that?

It's hard to go wrong with Aloft, the quality for value, modern design aesthetic, and hip lobby/bar scene are always welcome at this inexpensive price point (only a few bucks more than generic motel/hotels).

Despite the growing pains of the "new" facility, definitely recommended.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Omar S
North Reading, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

The rooms here are much larger than I expected. I have stayed here several times and the rooms are large, clean and the staff is so helpful and friendly. Irene at breakfast went out of her way to be super friendly and helpful and when I mentioned my early schedule for the day of my departure, she had my breakfast ready when I arrived at the restaurant at 6:30am when it opened. That service is hard to find! I'll be back for that reason!

Seattle, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

This was a pretty quiet room and much larger than I was expecting. A nice touch were the shades that fit snugly and blocked light well - I wish all hotels had that. Bedding was comfortable and they had enough outlets for me to charge my armada of personal electronics.

The lobby was very noisy but had a decent snack bar. Front desk people were friendly and efficient.

Access to the Dumbarton freeway was straightforward. Only minor not about the location was its lack of proximity to good coffee.

Otherwise, had a nice stay and would consider them again without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2013
Evanston, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

I've stayed here twice so far, and both times was welcomed with wonderful service. William and Evelyn, both working the front desk, are always very helpful with accomodations, answering questions about the area, engaging in conversation, and smiling all the time.

Miguel and Leanne, at the bar, are both conversational and make a solo dinner more enjoyable. And Irene (breakfast service) in the morning is one of the sweetest people in hospitality that I've ever met.

The only thing that will make this property a bit better would be a lounge!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont
BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden Court Inn
Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley
Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark - Fremont
Hyatt Place Fremont/Silicon Valley

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!