“Spacious room with micro kitchen”

Aloft Silicon Valley
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

This was a pretty quiet room and much larger than I was expecting. A nice touch were the shades that fit snugly and blocked light well - I wish all hotels had that. Bedding was comfortable and they had enough outlets for me to charge my armada of personal electronics.

The lobby was very noisy but had a decent snack bar. Front desk people were friendly and efficient.

Access to the Dumbarton freeway was straightforward. Only minor not about the location was its lack of proximity to good coffee.

Otherwise, had a nice stay and would consider them again without hesitation.

• Stayed: September 2013

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I've stayed here twice so far, and both times was welcomed with wonderful service. William and Evelyn, both working the front desk, are always very helpful with accomodations, answering questions about the area, engaging in conversation, and smiling all the time.

Miguel and Leanne, at the bar, are both conversational and make a solo dinner more enjoyable. And Irene (breakfast service) in the morning is one of the sweetest people in hospitality that I've ever met.

The only thing that will make this property a bit better would be a lounge!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My husband is working in San Jose for a few months and I’m here too….we stay in San Jose during the week and head north to stay with family on the weekends and we’re trying to get stays/night at SPG properties so we decided to stay at the Aloft Silicon Valley in Newark on Sunday nights. We’re booked for every Sunday night through October. Our first one-night stay here was mid-August. The parking lot was packed. We decided since it was for one night only to bring in some of our luggage and left one small carry-on and a bag with rollerblades in the back of our car. We got in around 11pm, parked in a lighted parking spot (actually underneath a light). We were driving a Honda Fit with tinted windows of which I covered the bags in the back (a very small area) with the cargo cover while we were at the front lobby area after I unloaded the other bags to take up to the room. Anyway, around 8am we got a call that our car had been broken into…the back window smashed and the bags stolen. Another car was also broken into. We have been told that this is the first time this has happened and they asked us to not post a negative review because of the potential impact on their business. We did have an out of state license plate.

We realize being in the city/near cities that it is important to keep valuables out of sight, that is why we covered the bags with the cargo cover and parked our vehicle next to the hotel building underneath a street/parking lot light. Typically we bring everything inside but on this occasion did not for the reasons I address above and below

To the hotel’s credit they do have a security guard who patrols the entire property from 10pm to 6am. But that includes the interior of the property so there is no guard on duty outside for the entire time. There is one security camera but it’s for an exterior door, not for the parking lot. I am writing this review not to punish the hotel but because I would want to know if I was traveling through I would want to know if the area is safe. Otherwise I would look to stay somewhere else. It looked like a perfectly safe area, mainly office buildings and then there is a neighborhood about 1-2 miles down the street. The Newark Police took a report. The night manager was helpful, in that he offered to help us clean up the broken glass in our car. This break-in cost us (and our insurance company) in total $4,700 between repairing the back window and other damage to the car to the luggage stolen and what was inside (Kindle, prescription eyeglasses, nice watch) and rollerblades, etc.

While I understand it is not the hotel’s responsibility to guard our vehicle, I think they need to take some additional precautions for their hotel guests.

Because of this we are cancelling our reservations for the next 7-8 weeks as we don’t feel safe parking here and are soured over this.

We stay at a hotel property in north San Jose/border of Milpitas/Santa Clara (for the past 3.5 months) and have left stuff in the back with the cargo cover pulled. Maybe it’s the area here, but if so, than I think hotel properties need to take additional steps to help facilitate/provide for a safe environment for their guests to park their vehicles without having to remove every item out of the car.

One other note: we are SPG Platinum members and arrived late as I said above (11pm-ish) and was given a 1st floor room. I made the reservations 2 weeks in advance. Unfortunately, SPG does not allow the member to select or type in what floor preferences (Hilton does) e.g., high floor, away from elevator. But I would suggest most guests would prefer a higher level room, esp. being a Platinum member. So this was a disappointment….we were switched to a handicapped accessible room as we were told that was all that was left. We believe as Platinum members we should have received more/better consideration for a room on a higher floor at minimum. I understand first come first serve but I can’t imagine every guest that stayed in the hotel that night was a Platinum member; the highest SPG level a member can have and given priority.

P.S. Breakfast is $15+/- per person, expensive for what was offered....note: we did not partake.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank ColoradoStowaway
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed once in W Silicon Valley, and decided to stay in Aloft now, primarily based on the cost factor. Could use some of my Starwood points for one of the three night stays. This is more like 3.5 stars, but not quite 4. Location is definitely not the best, absolutely nothing around, and their lounge and breakfast are quite mediocre in terms of selection and quality. However, it is only 15-20 minutes to downtown Palo Alto, the heart of the Valley. The service and staff were very pleasant, liked that! The room was also quite good, no complaints. The whole place does look fresher than during W days. The gym is tiny, and not much equipment.... What I don't understand is high price. Come on, it is Aloft, not Westin, W, Sofitel or Marriott. This is poor value proposition. Will consider staying there again, of the price is right.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alex G
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for all of your feedback. We're glad you liked the refresh of the hotel and our friendly talent! We are working to improve our breakfast experience. Hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I was a client here when it was a W Hotel and recently returned after it re opened.
Let me say it was in desperate need of a renovatin.....ugh those purple couches were a nightmare ,however the new place is GREAT !!!
The best part is the staff mostly remained as they were very service oriented all ready.
The rooms look nice and refreshed and the bed sheets are that of higher quality than most Aloft hotels.
The bar renovation was a huge success ....FABULOUS remoldel as it now looks like a bar versus a pull up trailer.
Great job ...I rested well here!
Awesome pool and great meeting planners as well !
The meeting planning staff is on point and very detail oriented....this pace is good enough for my Chanel meetings in the San Jose area.....great great job!...you all ROCK !

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

We are so thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and that planning your meetings are easy at Aloft Silicon Valley. Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback - we truly appreciate it! Cheers!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place was amazing - and I've stayed in a lot of nice hotels. I booked a room with 2 beds and I got a huge 2-bedroom suite with 2 king beds, 2 bathrooms, a living room, a kitchenette... You get the idea. I would go out of my way to stay here again.

Room Tip: Try the 2 bedroom!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank wl487
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was recently in town for a conference and all of the participants stayed here. I was initially very taken with the recently decorated rooms and modern feel to the hotel; however, after staying there for a full week you start to notice the little things. There were holes in the wall in both my closet and bathroom. The internet in my room was sketchy at best. The walls are pretty thin and I could hearing a crying baby staying near me at all times. The restaurant was pretty expensive, especially given the fact that there is great food about a mile down the road. I also found the staff to be pretty young and had trouble helping with things like a shuttle to the airport and suggestions for local businesses. I would probably stay here again but I would investigate other options in the area as you don't get a lot of bang for your buck here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont
1 mi away
Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley
Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley
Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn
Hyatt Place Fremont/Silicon Valley
Chase Suite Hotel Newark

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!