“Little better than old W, but not so great”

Aloft Silicon Valley
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed once in W Silicon Valley, and decided to stay in Aloft now, primarily based on the cost factor. Could use some of my Starwood points for one of the three night stays. This is more like 3.5 stars, but not quite 4. Location is definitely not the best, absolutely nothing around, and their lounge and breakfast are quite mediocre in terms of selection and quality. However, it is only 15-20 minutes to downtown Palo Alto, the heart of the Valley. The service and staff were very pleasant, liked that! The room was also quite good, no complaints. The whole place does look fresher than during W days. The gym is tiny, and not much equipment.... What I don't understand is high price. Come on, it is Aloft, not Westin, W, Sofitel or Marriott. This is poor value proposition. Will consider staying there again, of the price is right.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alex G
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for all of your feedback. We're glad you liked the refresh of the hotel and our friendly talent! We are working to improve our breakfast experience. Hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

I was a client here when it was a W Hotel and recently returned after it re opened.
Let me say it was in desperate need of a renovatin.....ugh those purple couches were a nightmare ,however the new place is GREAT !!!
The best part is the staff mostly remained as they were very service oriented all ready.
The rooms look nice and refreshed and the bed sheets are that of higher quality than most Aloft hotels.
The bar renovation was a huge success ....FABULOUS remoldel as it now looks like a bar versus a pull up trailer.
Great job ...I rested well here!
Awesome pool and great meeting planners as well !
The meeting planning staff is on point and very detail oriented....this pace is good enough for my Chanel meetings in the San Jose area.....great great job!...you all ROCK !

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

We are so thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and that planning your meetings are easy at Aloft Silicon Valley. Thank you for taking the time to leave us your feedback - we truly appreciate it! Cheers!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This place was amazing - and I've stayed in a lot of nice hotels. I booked a room with 2 beds and I got a huge 2-bedroom suite with 2 king beds, 2 bathrooms, a living room, a kitchenette... You get the idea. I would go out of my way to stay here again.

Room Tip: Try the 2 bedroom!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank wl487
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was recently in town for a conference and all of the participants stayed here. I was initially very taken with the recently decorated rooms and modern feel to the hotel; however, after staying there for a full week you start to notice the little things. There were holes in the wall in both my closet and bathroom. The internet in my room was sketchy at best. The walls are pretty thin and I could hearing a crying baby staying near me at all times. The restaurant was pretty expensive, especially given the fact that there is great food about a mile down the road. I also found the staff to be pretty young and had trouble helping with things like a shuttle to the airport and suggestions for local businesses. I would probably stay here again but I would investigate other options in the area as you don't get a lot of bang for your buck here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at the Aloft Silicon Valley for a wedding just up the road. We checked in and went with the option for additional points if we went 'green' which was not having housekeeping change our linens etc after the first night. We never received the points and housekeeping ended up cleaning our room. My husband was a little bothered by our parking lot view but once he saw the backside marsh view he was fine! We had a large room with 2 very comfortable king beds- plenty of room for us and the 2 kids. The room itself was a little worn, tattered sofa, dirty rug but our thoughts were that the hotel probably sees a lot of use. The bathroom was clean and pretty well equipped - although our toiletries kept falling between the crack where the wall and vanity top met! We had both a tub and a shower, which the kids liked. The shampoo/body wash was in a receptacle on the wall, which is a nice 'green' touch. The pool area was very nice with lounge chairs, low chairs (which were odd) and some large round wicker lounges. I did not go in the pool but the kids said it was cold and only went in for a little bit. After the wedding, the group went to the bar and the poor bartender was overwhelmed. It took quite a while for drinks, even when I just asked for water. There needed to be more seating outside and the large heaters would not work at first. I believe that there was a gas fireplace in the pool area but that was not on. We had a breakfast included on Sunday, via the wedding party, and I have to say that I have had much better. Selection was small, they constantly ran out. The first thought was that the party was too large, but after all, we were at a hotel and this is what they do, no?
Our reservation somehow was split so that when we went to get into our room after the first night, our keycard did not work. When my husband went to the front desk they said that we had 2 one-night reservations and that we needed a new key. Very bizarre. When I checked out, the bill was wrong but the front desk woman told me that she could not change it and that I would need to email the manager. As I said, we also did not receive our extra spg points for the green promotion.
With all said, the hotel was pretty decent for the weekend price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Recent visit to the Bay Area; my wife and I stayed at the Aloft in Newark CA. We were both pleasantly surprised with the accommodations and we enjoyed our three day stay on the property.

Pros:
-Spacious rooms and very clean
-Updated decor
-decent restaurant/bar on property
-decent price for the Bay area
-Free Parking
-Very Nice Staff

Cons:
-I did not care for the mattresses...a bit too firm for my liking.
-40 min drive from S.F.

Overall a really nice option and not as expensive as staying in S.F. I would both stay and recommend the Aloft in Newark

Room Tip: Not really close to any points of interest in the Bay area...you need a car to get around
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ReservoirDog
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The only reason to choose this hotel is proximity to the office in Newark, CA area. The rooms are spacious and nice however breakfast is a big disappointment. Firstly the breakfast is not included in the room fare. Secondly it takes ages to order something which contradicts the entire concept of a business hotel. No other amenities available like shuttle pick or drop to office. As this area does not have much options this hotel becomes a obvious choice. However they have a lot of room to further improve.

Room Tip: No specific tip. However you might like to stay in a room which is near to the lift
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont
1 mi away
Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley
Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley
Hyatt Place Fremont/Silicon Valley
Fremont Marriott Silicon Valley
Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!