“Average Business Hotel”

Aloft Silicon Valley
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Newark
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I was recently in town for a conference and all of the participants stayed here. I was initially very taken with the recently decorated rooms and modern feel to the hotel; however, after staying there for a full week you start to notice the little things. There were holes in the wall in both my closet and bathroom. The internet in my room was sketchy at best. The walls are pretty thin and I could hearing a crying baby staying near me at all times. The restaurant was pretty expensive, especially given the fact that there is great food about a mile down the road. I also found the staff to be pretty young and had trouble helping with things like a shuttle to the airport and suggestions for local businesses. I would probably stay here again but I would investigate other options in the area as you don't get a lot of bang for your buck here.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at the Aloft Silicon Valley for a wedding just up the road. We checked in and went with the option for additional points if we went 'green' which was not having housekeeping change our linens etc after the first night. We never received the points and housekeeping ended up cleaning our room. My husband was a little bothered by our parking lot view but once he saw the backside marsh view he was fine! We had a large room with 2 very comfortable king beds- plenty of room for us and the 2 kids. The room itself was a little worn, tattered sofa, dirty rug but our thoughts were that the hotel probably sees a lot of use. The bathroom was clean and pretty well equipped - although our toiletries kept falling between the crack where the wall and vanity top met! We had both a tub and a shower, which the kids liked. The shampoo/body wash was in a receptacle on the wall, which is a nice 'green' touch. The pool area was very nice with lounge chairs, low chairs (which were odd) and some large round wicker lounges. I did not go in the pool but the kids said it was cold and only went in for a little bit. After the wedding, the group went to the bar and the poor bartender was overwhelmed. It took quite a while for drinks, even when I just asked for water. There needed to be more seating outside and the large heaters would not work at first. I believe that there was a gas fireplace in the pool area but that was not on. We had a breakfast included on Sunday, via the wedding party, and I have to say that I have had much better. Selection was small, they constantly ran out. The first thought was that the party was too large, but after all, we were at a hotel and this is what they do, no?
Our reservation somehow was split so that when we went to get into our room after the first night, our keycard did not work. When my husband went to the front desk they said that we had 2 one-night reservations and that we needed a new key. Very bizarre. When I checked out, the bill was wrong but the front desk woman told me that she could not change it and that I would need to email the manager. As I said, we also did not receive our extra spg points for the green promotion.
With all said, the hotel was pretty decent for the weekend price.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Recent visit to the Bay Area; my wife and I stayed at the Aloft in Newark CA. We were both pleasantly surprised with the accommodations and we enjoyed our three day stay on the property.

Pros:
-Spacious rooms and very clean
-Updated decor
-decent restaurant/bar on property
-decent price for the Bay area
-Free Parking
-Very Nice Staff

Cons:
-I did not care for the mattresses...a bit too firm for my liking.
-40 min drive from S.F.

Overall a really nice option and not as expensive as staying in S.F. I would both stay and recommend the Aloft in Newark

Room Tip: Not really close to any points of interest in the Bay area...you need a car to get around
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ReservoirDog
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The only reason to choose this hotel is proximity to the office in Newark, CA area. The rooms are spacious and nice however breakfast is a big disappointment. Firstly the breakfast is not included in the room fare. Secondly it takes ages to order something which contradicts the entire concept of a business hotel. No other amenities available like shuttle pick or drop to office. As this area does not have much options this hotel becomes a obvious choice. However they have a lot of room to further improve.

Room Tip: No specific tip. However you might like to stay in a room which is near to the lift
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2013

overall experience ok. I would rather have driven a bit farther to the embassy suites. I was offered a king bed suite with a pull out for my kids. while pulling out the sofabed i noticed there was no pillow and no sheets on the mattress, I called housekeeping numerous times, no answer. I called the front desk, no answer. I called from my personal phone, no answer. THATS [--]!!! so i had to walk down and ask for some sheets. it was like 10:00 pm sat night my kids were tired and i wanted to put them down. We waited for the sheets for about 1/2 hour. We were upset. I was tired of waiting so I headed downstairs when I seen the employee with sheets and pillows. poor customer service

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Meagan B, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are very sorry to hear that our staff was not able to accommodate your request in a timely manner. We will address this issue immediately. Thanks again for letting us know.

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I am in the Bay Area at least once or twice a month on business and this is always my first choice for my stay. Centrally located between SFO and SJC it is a quick 30 min trip from either during non-peak times.
Having been a W in its previous life there is little in resemblance to a typical Aloft except the little blue soap in the bathroom and funky vibe in the lobby and lounge. Everything else resembles a W from the large rooms to the full service restaurant downstairs.
The staff is always courteous and helpful; it is a pleasure to stay at this hotel.
I highly recommend this hotel (however please don't stay there during the week so I can still get a reservation on short notice) :)

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank metta_bhavana
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I had stayed at the W various times in the past, so I was eager to see how the property has been transformed into an Aloft. I've always loved quiet location, great weekend rates and proximity to SFO. For me, there weren't any dramatic changes other than the reception staff being much more welcoming than when it was a W. I had a corner junior-suite room on the 5th floor which, with a few furniture downgrades, looked the same as before (still much more comfortable and commodious than the normal Aloft room). One upgrade, for which I was grateful, was the reinstalling of a coffee maker. The bed was still extremely confortable and the wifi worked very well. I didn't eat there, so can't comment on that, but the bar looked fun. The pool is small and the gym not overly well equipped, but good enough. All in all, for under $100, the place is great if the location suits you.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont
Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley
Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark - Fremont
Best Western Plus Garden Court Inn
Hyatt Place Fremont/Silicon Valley

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!