WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Newark
Los Angeles, CA
“5/16-5/20”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2013

The hotel amenities were great, my issue was in the Billing Dept. It took several long distance calls to correct but not to my satisfaction. My friend who spoke with the General Manager on several occasions still ended with a bill for $2.15.

Room Tip: There was no manager on site when we checked out, make sure you settle your bill before actually che...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Gerlingen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Aloft means to me, young people, stylish atmosphere, Loft-like rooms, a pool table - Aloft. Been to some of them and all "more or less" are Aloft-like. Cupertino was sold out, Millbrae to far away, so why not trying the "new" Aloft in Newark... that´s what i thought.

Approaching the hotel, it looks like any other given hotel, but NOT like an Aloft - okay. Entering the lobby, the stylish reception, no music, no lounge like atmospehere, more standard Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites style (without the free breakfast).

Rooms, standard Hotel room nothing special, nothing Aloft in there (some W like bed furniture and a very basic bathroom...)

All clean and okay, but far away from what you (at least I) expect(ed) from an Aloft.

Dear Starwood guys, rebrand that hotel to a Four Points, this will fit, but what is expected from a carefully build Aloft experience is completely missing (Bliss soap excluded).

Room Tip: Go to Cupertino or Millbrae if you want a real Aloft
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Matthias R
Lausanne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I've spend 10 nights in the new branded Aloft hotel, formerly "W Silicon Valley" .... Rooms are pretty much the same, but the nice couch and nice furniture were gone ... all the nice Bliss soap and shampoo gone as well.... Instead of the nice small bottles, you will find a dispenser in the shower .... When I was there, 3 things annoyed me:
- Lots of noise as the re-branding was still going on
- Random way of cleaning my room .... Sometime very well done, sometime not so good.
- Fitness room still not good, poor equipment.

NOW, SPECIAL AWARD TO .... the bar and reception staff! They are excellent, very kind, willing to help and accommodate you. They are friendly while still being professional ... Every evening the bar was a mandatory stop as the atmosphere was really great.

I will keep going there as the value price vs. service is still very good.

2 Thank dofre_ch
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your feedback. We will review your comments in our next team meeting to ensure we're delivering a great experience. We will pass along your kudos to our W XYZ Bar talent! Hope to see you again if your travels bring you to Silicon Valley.
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I like this hotel, the rooms are spacious, clean and welcoming. The bar has friendly and prompt service. All the Staff are professional and courteous.
The beds are very comfortable.
The achilles heel is the lack of a restaurant - there is bar food but i was there for over a week and it does not offer the variation for a longer period of time. There is nothing close by either!
Having said that i would definitely stay here again.

3 Thank GastroNinja
Metro West Massachusetts, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

This Starwood property began life as a W built primarily for Sun Microsystems traveling employees, but soon became orphaned and forced to survive on it's own as Sun's eventual decline vastly reduced the number of guests. As a W, it was always good and occasionally great - but for those Starwood regulars used to a full on W experience, some were left non-plused. Not me - I had always been treated like family. And so it is w/ the new Aloft - while not all of the W employees stayed through the makeover, many did - and I was greeted warmly and enthusiastically by first name on this first stay at the Aloft and being a Starwood Platinum/Lifetime Gold. The lounge and lobby area has been entirely remodeled - more spacious, better lighting, all in all a very positive impression. New concrete LED lit bar to be installed w/in days. New carpets, new wall paper, new couches, but the in room amenities are gone (save for coffee), and almost indistinguishable from when it was a W. To be honest, this property is way more fitting of the Aloft brand than the W brand - as an Aloft it has found it's niche - but does crack me up that they couldn't get the "Wet" out of the bottom of the pool....shout out to Miguel and Cindy - they will take care of you - best wishes to Scotty who has moved on to run Manor West in SFO.

Room Tip: Garbage pickup is early AM on the bay side, it makes a hell of a noise if on the 1st or 2nd floors...
3 Thank Barton F
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for sharing! We are delighted to hear that your Aloft experience was a great one and that you felt welcome upon arrival. We'll pass along your kudos to the associates you mentioned. Hope to see you soon!
Woodinville, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Was worried when I booked this hotel, comments I read made this property appear questionable and Dumbarton bridge traffic for an early meeting is always potential for a missed meeting. Happy to say, both the hotel and the bridge worked out great.

The good: Had a large corner room, more like a suite, with fridge, sink and microwave in the seating area, huge flat panel almost a room divider and great king size bed. Food was continental in the lounge, also fine. Service was great, from check in to food service staff is great.

The not so good: Room has been updated, but bathroom for example is showing a bit of wear, tiles loose in the floor and the hinged bed headboard "Wings" didn't work on one side blocking access to the AC socket behind. A minor point, lamps aren't slaved to the wall switches, you're running around turning on/off lamps in the room.

All in all, would I return? I'm apt to say yes if I'm doing meetings in the Palo Alto area, the drive time in was great.

Room Tip: I don't think road noise is really an issue for any rooms given it's distance from the freew...
1 Thank Bob T
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback of our new Aloft hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and that it worked well for your early meeting. Thank you for your patience as we work through the updates being made to the new hotel. We hope you choose us again for your next business or leisure trip.
Cork , Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I've stayed in this Hotel a few times before. This was when it was the W. It's now changed to the Aloft. While it has had a bit of a renovation ( a bit brighter than the previous decor) nothing really has changed. The two plus points for me would be the Bed ( I love the Bed & I always sleep well ) and the complementary WiFi. Plastic Cups in the bathroom ?? No personal toiletries worth talking about , just soap and those shampoo/bodywash dispensers in the shower. On one of the nights they forgot to clean my room, I was back late and had to arrange for fresh towels. You would think would be one of the basic services a Hotel would be expert in ( not missing a room clean ). Also, when I checked in I was given my Key and Room Number. When I went up to my room my key would not work. I tried many times. When I made the trip back to reception I was told I was given the wrong room number. Again, I would think giving out correct room numbers is what a Hotel should be able to do.

1 Thank GERFCork
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our Aloft bed and complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel. We will share your review in our next team meeting with housekeeping and our front desk. Thank you for your understanding as we work through the changes of switching brands from W to Aloft.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont
BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden Court Inn
Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley
Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark - Fremont
Hyatt Place Fremont/Silicon Valley

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!