“Sure it's Aloft, not W but still fine”

Aloft Silicon Valley
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Newark
Woodinville, Washington
“Sure it's Aloft, not W but still fine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

Was worried when I booked this hotel, comments I read made this property appear questionable and Dumbarton bridge traffic for an early meeting is always potential for a missed meeting. Happy to say, both the hotel and the bridge worked out great.

The good: Had a large corner room, more like a suite, with fridge, sink and microwave in the seating area, huge flat panel almost a room divider and great king size bed. Food was continental in the lounge, also fine. Service was great, from check in to food service staff is great.

The not so good: Room has been updated, but bathroom for example is showing a bit of wear, tiles loose in the floor and the hinged bed headboard "Wings" didn't work on one side blocking access to the AC socket behind. A minor point, lamps aren't slaved to the wall switches, you're running around turning on/off lamps in the room.

All in all, would I return? I'm apt to say yes if I'm doing meetings in the Palo Alto area, the drive time in was great.

Room Tip: I don't think road noise is really an issue for any rooms given it's distance from the freew...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bob T
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback of our new Aloft hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay and that it worked well for your early meeting. Thank you for your patience as we work through the updates being made to the new hotel. We hope you choose us again for your next business or leisure trip.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Cork , Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I've stayed in this Hotel a few times before. This was when it was the W. It's now changed to the Aloft. While it has had a bit of a renovation ( a bit brighter than the previous decor) nothing really has changed. The two plus points for me would be the Bed ( I love the Bed & I always sleep well ) and the complementary WiFi. Plastic Cups in the bathroom ?? No personal toiletries worth talking about , just soap and those shampoo/bodywash dispensers in the shower. On one of the nights they forgot to clean my room, I was back late and had to arrange for fresh towels. You would think would be one of the basic services a Hotel would be expert in ( not missing a room clean ). Also, when I checked in I was given my Key and Room Number. When I went up to my room my key would not work. I tried many times. When I made the trip back to reception I was told I was given the wrong room number. Again, I would think giving out correct room numbers is what a Hotel should be able to do.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank GERFCork
Nikki_Por, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Silicon Valley, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our Aloft bed and complimentary WiFi throughout the hotel. We will share your review in our next team meeting with housekeeping and our front desk. Thank you for your understanding as we work through the changes of switching brands from W to Aloft.
Palo Alto, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

This Starwood hotel was a W until recently changed into their new Aloft brand. It's been slightly remodeled with a juvenile decor trying to attract 20-somethings. The rooms are identical to the W with a different colored bench and couch, kitchenette and comfy bed, nice bathroom (very small shower but decent sized tub). However, at the W you can expect a bathrobe, several sets of towels, nice toiletries, glasses made of glass, an honor bar w/nice selection of snacks (& condoms) and competent service. Aloft's room had no trash can, no menu or info. about the hotel, no mini-bar or snacks, dead batteries in the remote, plastic cups in the bathroom, no robe and only 2 sets of towels. We asked them to deliver plates/utensils, wine glasses, regular drinking glasses and two extra sets of towels. It took them 5 trips to get it right, once they delivered wine glasses with chipped rims, once only two bath towels instead of a full set (incl. washcloth & hand towel.) No apology came from the management. The furnishings and carpet are showing wear (they were when they were a W but this was supposed to be remodeled.) We are members of Starwood's frequent guest program yet nothing extra or upgraded was offered as they do at their other hotels. In summary, the new place is a downgraded hotel, 3.5 stars if the service was working well. We're very disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terry1981
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Aloft is a select service brand that celebrates the individual and gives you freedom to control and customize your travel adventure to fit your personal style. Although different from the W’s full service amenities, the customer service you receive at Aloft should be comparable. We apologize for your service experience, and we’ll be discussing your comments in our next team meeting. Thank you for your patience as we work through the kinks of opening a new brand. We hope you give us another try.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newark
DoubleTree by Hilton Newark-Fremont
Courtyard Newark Silicon Valley
BEST WESTERN PLUS Garden Court Inn
Residence Inn Newark Silicon Valley
Homewood Suites by Hilton Newark - Fremont
Fremont Marriott Silicon Valley

Been to Aloft Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!